Leather

TurkeyH90

My son has taken an interest in leathercraft. He has made some stuff put of leather from hobby lobby. I was hoping to find some decent quality leather for making sheaths and such. I know some on the board are experienced in this. Please let me know where to look.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
My son has taken an interest in leathercraft. He has made some stuff put of leather from hobby lobby. I was hoping to find some decent quality leather for making sheaths and such. I know some on the board are experienced in this. Please let me know where to look.
Tandy for one, google leather or leather craft supplies. There’s a lot out there. PM me if you like

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here, I get mine from a saddle and tack shop.

godogs57

As Ken stated, Tandy has some quality leather.
What you want is Herman Oak brand vegetable tanned leather. Absolutely the best brand out there for knife sheath’s, holsters and such. It will not corrode knife blades, pistols….things like that. Tandy used to carry Herman Oak but recently stopped carrying it.

I order mine from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo and postage is very reasonable.

If you need some scraps or small pieces to work with or practice I’ll be glad to share

Hank

Anvil Head

While Tandy occasionally has some good leather, if you don't go to the store and hand select yourself, you can wind up with some really junk material. Make friends with the "leather guy" there and have him teach you how to read and select leather. Lot more to it than you might think. You can wind up with a lot of waste material if not careful. Quality leather is not cheap and vice versa.

I buy from Weaver, but I know the fellas there and they know what I expect when I order from them. The Herman Oak brand is high grade that cuts, tools, and molds well - won't go wrong there.
Recommend starting with a shoulder until you understand how things work leather wise. 7-8 oz is a good weight to start learning with. Heavier can frustrate a beginner and thinner can be a bit floppy.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
What you want is Herman Oak brand vegetable tanned leather. Absolutely the best brand out there for knife sheath’s, holsters and such. It will not corrode knife blades, pistols….things like that. Tandy used to carry Herman Oak but recently stopped carrying it.

I order mine from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo and postage is very reasonable.

If you need some scraps or small pieces to work with or practice I’ll be glad to share

Hank
While Tandy occasionally has some good leather, if you don't go to the store and hand select yourself, you can wind up with some really junk material. Make friends with the "leather guy" there and have him teach you how to read and select leather. Lot more to it than you might think. You can wind up with a lot of waste material if not careful. Quality leather is not cheap and vice versa.

I buy from Weaver, but I know the fellas there and they know what I expect when I order from them. The Herman Oak brand is high grade that cuts, tools, and molds well - won't go wrong there.
Recommend starting with a shoulder until you understand how things work leather wise. 7-8 oz is a good weight to start learning with. Heavier can frustrate a beginner and thinner can be a bit floppy.
I’ll say thank you to you both for the company names and leather brands. I buy a little from time to time for personal projects and have not liked it since the Tandy store in Macon closed several years ago. I too like to touch and feel what I’m buying if possible. The nearest Tandy is in Atlanta I don’t care to drive there, so I mail order. Yes I’ve been disappointed with some items.

godogs57

I’ll say thank you to you both for the company names and leather brands. I buy a little from time to time for personal projects and have not liked it since the Tandy store in Macon closed several years ago. I too like to touch and feel what I’m buying if possible. The nearest Tandy is in Atlanta I don’t care to drive there, so I mail order. Yes I’ve been disappointed with some items.
A lot of Tandy’s leather comes from Argentina and Mexico now. Unknown quality. Much of it acid tanned, not vegetable tanned. You put your knife blade or pistol in an acid tanned product….look out.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The last shoulder I bought had a Brazil sticker on it. A belt blank was from Turkey and cracked when bent. I’m sure the buy from the cheapest vendor. That’s why I thanked you for your response. You confirmed my guesses. I’ll check out your recommendations.

Anvil Head

A lot of Tandy’s leather comes from Argentina and Mexico now. Unknown quality. Much of it acid tanned, not vegetable tanned. You put your knife blade or pistol in an acid tanned product….look out.
This is so true, gotta be diligent and learn how to tell them apart. Seen several knives and a few pistols eaten up by the wrong leather. Also be wary of garment and boot leathers, they are predominantly chem tanned.
Another serious thing to know - don't use super glue on chrome tanned leather, the fumes given off are highly toxic. Know your chemistry.

Anvil Head

The last shoulder I bought had a Brazil sticker on it. A belt blank was from Turkey and cracked when bent. I’m sure the buy from the cheapest vendor. That’s why I thanked you for your response. You confirmed my guesses. I’ll check out your recommendations.
If you decide to try Weaver, communicate with Chuck. Tell him I want you treated right (we go back a long way).

Latest posts