lime

how long does it take lime to break down the acidity of the soil so my p.h. will be higher! we have a food plot on a loadin dock that is 1/2 acre we planted 100lb of austrian winterpeas 25lb of rackmaster fall supreme mix and a bag of buck forage oats !!! then we spread 1400lb of lime on the food plot before we harrowed it under then planteed then fertilized how long will it take for the lime to break down the acidity of the soil?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I've always heard about 6 months for the lime to reach it's full potential.

Good luck with your plots, they should be more than fine with what all you have planted.

CAL

I think more like 3 Months.If you want something that works faster use some basic slag.The cost is a little more but it works much faster!

Perry Hayes

If you want to know for sure, take a soil sample to your county extension agent and they will tell you exactly what you need to do to correct the PH content in your soil. Thats the only way to get it just right if thats what you want. If you are on a shady hill you may never get there.

Perry Hayes

If you want to know for sure, take a soil sample to your county extension agent and they will tell you exactly what you need to do to correct the PH content in your soil. Thats the only way to get it just right if thats what you want. If you are on a shady hill you may never get there.

For the fastest results

Get you some liquid lime. You will get immediate results. But only short term. It will hold you over till your basic lime has time to work.;)

That's how you do it

Mix with water and spray. Just remember this is only for a quick fix. It will leach out of the soil. So also spread you some ag lime to fix the problem.

coastga

To get the full potential for your lime it will take up to three years. Notice the lime when it gets spread, some is like powder other is course. The course lime can take up to three years to break down. The powder lime breaks down immediately and starts to raise the PH. 1400lbs of lime on 1/2 acre will not raise your lime very much. Your 1400lbs may rise your ph about 1/2 a point.

I just put 11,000 lbs on one and half acres this summer. The ph was low do to the fact that the plot was around planted pines.

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one coast ga im sorry but i have done a soil test and even without a soil test the rule of thumb with any food plot is a ton of lime(2000lbs) per acre and 300 lbs of fertilizer and for a half acre all u would need would be 1000lbs or accordin to ure soil test) i put more than that about 1400- to 1800 rufly and its comin up strong. before i had planted and hardly anything came up after an application of lime (peletized lime) not an month after a completely diff. result !!!there is such thing is over liming a food plot !!! hope u didnt over lime with alost 6 tons for a half acre? good luck