loading deer by yourself

Good morning everyone.
need some advice on getting deer loaded into a golf cart by yourself? shot a pretty good buck last weekend and almost gave myself a heart attack trying to get him loaded in. is there an easy or easier way to get them in? ive looked into a winch, buddy in a bag, etc.

basshappy

BANNED
@Silvermallard1969 gambrel works well if you have a branch you can use nearby to life the deer up and get vehicle under. But I would imagine a solid piece of wood that you cut to match your vehicle height and cargo area would be best. Then it is just pull that deer up that slide. If your vehicle has a strong vertical post you could rig a pulley system similar to gambrel and use the double pulley to make sliding a deer up your slide very easy. You just need to be certain that vertical post or frame is string enough to bear the load.

bany

A pull strap as you stand in the bed and pull it up the side isn't terrible.
I’m sure you can fashion a way to put one of those winch on a pole models on there. Like a receiver hitch.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
For years I used two 6ft long pieces of 3/8" nylon cordage with noose knot tied in one end. Slip one around front legs above the knee and one around the back legs. Pull front end of the deer as high as you can and secure cord to something sturdy. I had D-rings where I needed them. A taunt line hitch works well to secure the cord. Repeat for the back end of the deer. Then, if needed, heave the middle of the deer where it needs to go.

Waddams

I have a game cart. It makes the drag much easier, and it can rest on the truck bed while I lift and lever it up, eventually pushing it into the bed. Just gotta get it braced right on my chest and hips for the right leverage to really drive the lift and load with my legs. Helps my truck is a Frontier so not as high a lift as a full size.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Do you have or can you add a receiver hitch? If so then buy an hitch carrier. They even have hitch carriers with ramps. Its easy to load and unload a deer. I have one for my ATV.
This is what my dad done to his sxs after killing a big one and not being able to load him .

specialk

i have a cart too and just drag them behind with a noose around the neck....got a fold down trailer so i load the cart then drag deer up the gate and shut it...theres a feller in the club has a sled he leaves hidden in the woods near our gate....ive used it too and it works good

HavocLover

Easiest and quickest way Ive done is just load them the old school way of loading a 4wheeler. Theres gotta be a ditch or elevation change somewhere close, back up to it so youre closing the distance from the ground and the point your trying to drag the deer up to.

Gaswamp

trailer hitch and haulmaster not too far off ground then

Last year I had one that was about 200lbs, I had tie a rope to the antlers and then slide him up the 4 wheeler ramps. Last week I had a buck that weighed around 160, I got on the opposite side of the 4 wheeler seat and leaned back to pull him across. Then rolled him over and tied him down. My dad used to say “take care of your back”. I wish I would have listened.

Mountain Hunter

I was hunting alone when I killed my last two good bucks. Needless to say I couldn’t load them myself so I had to improvise. In both instances, I pulled the deer into the floor board of my golf cart and headed to camp with them. You couldn’t do this with a 4 wheeler but it works well with a golf cart.

Attachments

• 59638237803__C3937EA2-5AB2-4B45-9AE5-80A2138872AF.jpeg
    59638237803__C3937EA2-5AB2-4B45-9AE5-80A2138872AF.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 52