loading deer by yourself

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Where did you purchase the cart?

Cabelas, about 15 years ago. It`s made to "scoop" the deer up on it. I added a hitch hookup to it so it could be pulled by a UTV. It`ll tote a load too. The buck you see on it weighed 240 pounds, and a few weeks before that one, I hauled out one on it that weighed 270 pounds.

Back40hunter

I have a hoist that goes in my hitch receiver. It has a cable and winch attached. I just crank the winch and lift the deer up and the the hoist swings into the truck bed. I’m sure the same setup would work for an ATV SxS. I got mine for Sportsman Guide for around $80 a few years ago.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Easy way to load a deer is pull it onto a 4ft section of ladderstand ladder. Ratchet strap, bungee or tie it to the section.
Pick one end up & set it on cart back, tailgate, etc. Pick the other end up & slide it in.
Very easy. IIRC, I saw this in here.

I also have a deer cart. Bought mine years ago at Academy. Very convenient.

Mackie889

I was hunting alone when I killed my last two good bucks. Needless to say I couldn’t load them myself so I had to improvise. In both instances, I pulled the deer into the floor board of my golf cart and headed to camp with them. You couldn’t do this with a 4 wheeler but it works well with a golf cart.
^^^ This. This is how I load deer on my golf cart … a whole lot easier than trying to load them on the back (w/seat down)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

B. White

I have been known to drag a deer behind my four wheeler.

But it can rub some hair off, which is not a problem unless you want to do a shoulder mount.

I have pulled as close as possible with the truck and trailer and then drag them right up on the trailer with the 4 wheeler. Going slow, no gravel, no hide damage. I have killed a couple of big ones in Dec. when by myself and I left the 4 wheeler at home. Put the drag strap around the hitch ball and pulled them with the truck to a good ditch bank, unhook, back in the ditch and gain a couple of feet.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I have a garden cart with removable sides that works perfectly. It’s a glorified radio flyer that will hook to my 4 wheeler with a pull pin.

Deerhunter12454

Using my tether rope. Wrap it around its neck. Jump up on the bed of the truck. Pull the rope until you get either the antlers or a leg and pull.

ssramage

I have a winch mounted in the front bumper of my SxS. I usually run it up, over the roof, and to the deer laying behind the bed. I use the winch remote from the back to slowly raise it in and guide the deer.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

basshappy

BANNED
@Milkman thanm you! Man I could see losing grip on the rope or a knot giving and that sled just sliding down one of our hills! LOL

I am looking at options to haul deer or carcass on our land (and anywhere we hunt) and your post and links are helpful.

Buckstop

For a golf cart we use a Reese style rack attachment that's made to haul a large cooler that plugs into the receiver on the cart and strap the rear of it with a ratchet strap to the upper seat frame to support the weight.

Trucks are pretty easy. Just tie the pull strap from the deer's head to the tailgate cables or bed tie downs. Get in he bed and pull it vertical up to the tailgate, get the shoulder up past the edge and lean back and let your weight do the rest. This works well as long as you keep your weight heavier than the deer your shooting. Which hasn't been a problem for me in recent years.

Latest posts