Look out when it warms up.

mattuga

Banned
Those were western diamondbacks. That type and Mohave rattlers tend to den up together. That`s just a common thing.
Yep, we came up on a heap of them in a natural den on a ranch in Wyoming and it was wild to hear them. I came home with quite a few rattles that summer as we saw a lot of snakes hiking 10 miles a day on ranches, it's a wonder we didn't get bit being so dumb having to kill every one we saw out of "safety" for those we work with. I bet more people get bit trying to kill one than if they just left them be, we were in the wild so I can only claim youthful exuberance. Unless in a residential spot they should be left to go as others have said.

killerv

Killed one two years in a row on the opener of turkey. I kneeled down to stick a decoy in the dirt next to one, that was exciting. He could have struck my hands, etc...never even saw him. 50in timber struck me mid morning while walking through a bottom on the 2nd one. I had literally picked up a shed and took one step and he got me on the boot. That one could have got me on the hand too. Long way from the truck and by myself. Be careful. It's my kids I worry about.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
My boy, when he was just a toddler, was reaching down to pick up a coiled copperhead when my wife snatched him up and jerked him away. That's the only reason I'll dispatch a venomous snake near my house. If I'm in the woods, I figure I'm on his turf and I'll give him his space.

treemanjohn

Banned
I appreciate and respect all snakes for the job they do. if I lift a shed in my yard and there's a den of rattlesnakes underneath they are in serious trouble. Everyone will die. The thought of hugging or playing with them will not come to my mind

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
My thoughts on venomous snakes is already known. Being mindful of your whereabouts, proper knowledge, common sense, and leaving the things alone when you d see one, will go a long way towards the well being of all parties concerned. If folks only knew how many they walked by that they never knew were laying there.....

Personally, I like having them out there. A little hidden danger keeps your awareness level going. A sterile, totally safe woodland would be a dull place to me.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nicodemus, rattle snakes den up together all over the country. There are two places in upstate New York that are fenced off to keep people out because they are refuges. They den up in rocky formations. There are also places in Florida where rattle snakes den up also.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Nicodemus, rattle snakes den up together all over the country. There are two places in upstate New York that are fenced off to keep people out because they are refuges. They den up in rocky formations. There are also places in Florida where rattle snakes den up also.

I`ve personally never seen more than three eastern diamondbacks together, and that includes taking them out of dens. Maybe they do den up in big gangs like the original video of the westerns, but I figure I should have at least seen it happen once. I caught snakes all over central and north Florida and South Georgia. As for canebrakes, the only time I ever see two together is during their mating season. Maybe they aren`t as social as the mountain timber rattlers?

The rattlers in the last video you posted are Mohaves.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I appreciate and respect all snakes for the job they do. if I lift a shed in my yard and there's a den of rattlesnakes underneath they are in serious trouble. Everyone will die. The thought of hugging or playing with them will not come to my mind

You and me bofe brosef. Venomous snakes in the yard get instant death. Out in the woods they better scat and we'll be fine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The timber rattlers here in the mountains den up in communal dens like that, too. I like 'em. But I don't really want them denning under my shed in my yard.

Destruction of den sites is one of the main reasons that timber rattlers are on the decline here. Research has indicated that they are almost genetically predisposed/programmed to certain den sites. If the den site is destroyed, they may well just crawl around until they freeze to death.

My ex-wife's grandpa told me a story about when he was helping to build I-40 through the Pigeon River gorge near here back in the 50s. They were blasting rock cliffs out to make the roadbed. His job was drilling holes for the dynamite. He said it was the middle of the winter, and they set off a big charge in a huge rock formation. It had a massive den of hibernating rattlesnakes somewhere down inside it, and he said that rattlers and pieces of rattlers rained down on them for about thirty seconds after the charge went off.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I’ve killed half dozen or so copperheads over the years, when they were in my path.

Had an encounter with a sizable diamondback in 12 or 13 that got poked with an umbrella just to video his coil and rattle.

Just an FYI, a diamond back bite cost between $80k and $250k to treat.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
They can have the woods but if they come in my yard, it is over for them. No Rattlesnakes up here but we do have copperheads.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I’ve killed half dozen or so copperheads over the years, when they were in my path.

Had an encounter with a sizable diamondback in 12 or 13 that got poked with an umbrella just to video his coil and rattle.

Just an FYI, a diamond back bite cost between $80k and $250k to treat.

Man in Tallahassee a few years ago got bit by a big diamondback and it cost lot more than your last figure. If I remember right, he had to have 75 vials of Crofab to save him.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
It varies.

Massive tissue damage, unless the bite is dry.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
It varies.

Massive tissue damage, unless the bite is dry.

I have several friends who got dry bites. Medical teams just disinfected the bite, observed, and let them go. Unfortunately, I`ve had several friends who got hot bites too. Those were a completely different story. They all knew almost immediately whether the snake was serious or not too.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Working as a first responder I have seen one posionois snake bite, and it was dry.

I hunt in SWGA; snakes and gator sightings are fairly common. I recognize their right to exist, I have a live and let live approach. If they don’t belong out here where do they belong? I enjoy observing all that our creator has given us. On the occasion when I encounter a venomous snake I render a hand salute, issue the greeting of the day and walk smartly around thier space. Past the point in life where I need to catch, handle, harass or kill these critters. A takeaway from my experience in SWGA; I observe the most reptile activity on balmy Indian summer days during winter months after after it’s been cold for a few days and then the temps rise to the 60’s or 70’s. They will expose themselves in an open sunny area (such as a woods road or pond bank) to bask in the sun. Conversely, the summer months in SWGA are Mekong Delta hot, just about nothing is moving or out during the heat of the day. My coop partner doesn’t share my views on venomous snakes. He dispatched this pair of Eastern Diamondbacks sunning on either side of a Gopher Tortise hole on a late December afternoon.9EB8088E-32FD-4F63-B6A0-87A896D017BF.jpegon the 26th of December 2011.

Latest posts