Looks like this will be my last year to deer hunt.

tom ga hunter

I started deer hunting in 1963 when I was 19 with a a 16 ga M12. so I've hunted nearly 50 years, the last 36 on a private farm on the Savannah river in Burke County. I quit counting kills when I broke 100 about 10 years ago but in the early days we shot everything we saw, I wish I could unkill some of the 2 year old 80" 6pts I shot in the '70's. I have lucky enough in business to afford good places to hunt, good guns and have made many good friends.
But things change. My friend/owner of the farm died last year , his children are going to sell the property & I can't make the $6,000,000 asking price.

I am getting old yesterday I carried 4 of my favorite rifles to the range. They all shoot sub 1" groups but I was getting 2+" groups. That will kill a deer but I shake too bad to shoot off hand.

I have a few other places to hunt but I don't know the land or many of the hunters on the leases. Those cold windy mornings are no longer fun.

It's just a good time to quit.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Hate to hear that. I will quit when I'm dead.

T.P.

Banned
Sorry bout losing your land, but a good club with like-minder folks is a hoot too.

Can I get a phone # for the property owners? Sounds like what I'm looking for.

DeoVindice

Best of luck no matter what you do. My Dad says the older he gets the cold wind just goes right through him. He turns 70 in October. He still hunts some at my Grandmother's farm in Walton Co. We lost our favorite family hunting property 2 years ago after 27 years. The owner was a good friend and did not even make us pay for a lease. We were simply the caretakers. 900 acres. It hurts to lose it but not much we can do.

Hopefully you'll get an opportunity to get out there some more. I'm not sure but I would think that most Ga. deer are killed inside 100 yards. I see no reason you should quit altogether unless you are simply burned out and do not have the desire. I hate to see the veterans of our sport hang it up, but only you know what is best for you. Again, best of luck no matter what you decide.

HighCotton

I started deer hunting in 1963 when I was 19 with a a 16 ga M12. so I've hunted nearly 50 years, the last 36 on a private farm on the Savannah river in Burke County. I quit counting kills when I broke 100 about 10 years ago but in the early days we shot everything we saw, I wish I could unkill some of the 2 year old 80" 6pts I shot in the '70's. I have lucky enough in business to afford good places to hunt, good guns and have made many good friends.
But things change. My friend/owner of the farm died last year , his children are going to sell the property & I can't make the $6,000,000 asking price.

I am getting old yesterday I carried 4 of my favorite rifles to the range. They all shoot sub 1" groups but I was getting 2+" groups. That will kill a deer but I shake too bad to shoot off hand.

I have a few other places to hunt but I don't know the land or many of the hunters on the leases. Those cold windy mornings are no longer fun.

Find you a small lease or join a small club. Hunt the afternoon/evenings when it's not so cold. Don't give up.

redka

We're about the same age, and I've been hunting deer since a kid too. Losing a place like that to hunt is tough.
Maybe you'll find a place to hunt some not so cold days.

kiltman

That's tuff to hear, but we will all get to that point soon or later. Keep your stuff, you never know when the "bug" will get you again.

Core Lokt

Do you have a friend that you can hunt with on another property? If you can still get around on your own find a small piece of land to lease if you can. Good luck

Buzz

I'm sorry you've lost your land. Don't give up though! I hunted in Canada with a heater and it kept me warm. It did NOT spook the deer either!

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
The heater body suit is the ticket. Almost as good as the army issue sleeping bag!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Find you a small lease or join a small club. Hunt the afternoon/evenings when it's not so cold. Don't give up.

Amen! Just because one door closes doesn't mean others won't open for you. Keep the faith and stick with it. Something good will come your way.

hambone76

Sorry to hear about that.

Wild Turkey

Find a like minded club. Even if you dont hunt much you can still hang out and shoot the bull. We had had several fellas long in the tooth at our clubs and they had fun messing with the young fellas.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
As others have already said, don't give up! As long as you're physically able to get around, get your butt out there and live it up. There are other places to hunt, spend some time to look for them, good grief!

Best of luck to you.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
We all know down deep that the day will come. If it truly has for you, make sure to keep your head straight so that it doesnt pull at you too hard.

Good luck out there brother

660griz

Sorry to hear it. When/if I get too old to hunt, I will still go to camp and hang out. Some of my best times ever are at camp. NOT hunting.

GillCommander

Well you made a good run it seems. It was a heartbrake for my grand dad to quit hunting as well. He still enjoyed watching us grand kids have success on his farm and enjoyed all the pictures because he has never experienced a trail camera before. He recently passed this March, but Ive learned alot about hunting over the years from him. He always said, "If you sit out in the woods long enough and really pay attention, you will see and experience things that the average man will never in his lifetime." He was right.

Tideup

I am only 55, but I don't care as much about going to the stand as I use to. I still go to camp and enjoy the fellowship and cooking for the guys. I still hunt some and will shoot a deer occasionally , but mostly just watch them, put the crosshairs on them and smile. That is my version of catch and release deer hunting.