Making Deposits

olcaptain

Making Deposits

Many call it "Going Fishing." After a long discussion today Tim "Cool Dad" Gill and I decided that we aren't merely fishing, we are making deposits. And because we are in our 60's we have decided to make as many deposits as possible. We are not talking about monetary deposits. We are talking about making memories and depositing them into our memory bank. One day when we all gather at "The Home" there will be those who are rocking and saying stuff like "I wish I had a done this or I had a done that." Well, me and Ol Cool Dad are gonna be saying stuff like "Remember the time we did this?" Or "Remember the time we did that?" Today is a prime example of what Making Deposits is all about.

When Max and I picked up Cool Dad at 6:00 AM this morning we had no idea that after driving 300 or so miles and being gone around 13 hours today just how many deposits we could make. We tried to leave as close to 6:00 as possible but when your not really sure where you are going it is almost impossible to be late.

Looking back I can remember first of all how careful we were securing our vessels to the truck. We knew it was important because we had to drive through downtown Atlanta to reach our destination.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20001_zpsmhr71rrt.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20004_zpstbnj03ki.jpg

Little did we know how much we would wish the guy ahead of us would have taken the time to do the same. As I looked up at the ladders in front of me I immediately deposited a memory.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20005_zps19kywr3u.jpg

I also made a memory deposit today concerning traffic. A lot can change from I-85 in Atlanta to the dirt roads of Tignall, Georgia. One minute we are weaving and jockeying for position on the Interstate and the next minute we are on a roller coaster-like smooth state road.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20006_zps2lbhqbap.jpg

One minute we are on the state road and finally due to following the magenta line on my antiquated Garmin, we found ourselves on 8 miles of dirt road. At one point we thought about "baling" and then I looked to the right and saw a picture of the "Sheep without a Shepherd" that I've heard so much about. I knew then we were not alone.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20007_zpscybxxqq8.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20009_zpskjdcnrf5.jpg

When we reached the Broad River Campground I deposited a memory or two about my friend Cool Dad. I thought about how far he's come as a sailor and then I though about how much he enjoyed a post P-Nut Butter and Jelly Sandwich nap.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20012_zps81tj0vmp.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20025_zpsjrkpae6l.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20040_zpsjcnmm2yd.jpg

When we first acquired our boats he wasn't comfortable at all but in time he gained both skill and confidence. I firmly believe he would now be a candidate for the Cousteau crowd or at least make Popeye's team.

I then thought of Maximus Relaximus (The Ultimate Carp Hound.) I thought about his friendship and our mutual love for being on the water. I thought of how faithful he is and how he never grows tired of posing for a proper photograph.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20015_zpsxntadjh1.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20020_zpsrwwk9mxv.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20033_zpsk3k725w8.jpg

I thought about how one minute Max could be sleeping and the next minute he could be giving a standing ovation to the hundreds of Swallows working diligently on their homes on the sleek, vertical sides of the Broad River Bridge.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20023_zpso1xqkja9.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20024_zpsxo6t4ilw.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20027_zpsk0fwtm72.jpg

I continued to make more memory deposits as I filed these pictures away.....

Broad%20River%20June%201%20019_zpsotrxtjs4.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20031_zpsmsrobn1z.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20030_zpsgy4fgyhj.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20010_zpspw1jomds.jpg

Finally before packing up to come back home I deposited a torrential summer shower into my memory bank. This memory was complete with lightning, washed down Mayflies by the dozens and the fresh cool smell in the air that can only come after a summer rain.

Broad%20River%20June%201%20003_zpsnxmbtjvj.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20038_zpsihlwxy4v.jpg

Even the long ride home was eventful because we reflected on today's adventure as well as several other "Journeys" that we've made over the last several years.

No, we didn't catch one fish today and yes, we did enjoy an All Star Breakfast at the Athens, Georgia Waffle House. But one can't continue to cloud a good story by including all the facts. Bottom line is that we had a blast. If you don't think we had fun you just ask Cool Dad about the Ol Captain's driving skills as he straightened out almost 8 miles of dirt road! I won't go into detail here but Bo and Luke would have been mighty proud :) That's right folks, what we do on a regular basis may be merely fishing to some but me and Cool Dad and "the Hound" prefer to call it Making Deposits and I hope and pray there are many more to come!

Broad%20River%20June%201%20022_zpsigm2ouve.jpg

Broad%20River%20June%201%20039_zpsz88xoell.jpg

Last edited:

Coenen

Our memories make us rich. The more we have, the richer we become.

Cletus T.

You said it Captain……it’s about the journey and making lasting memories. Sometimes we need to be reminded of this.

Excellent story Captain……I love your story-telling abilities!!!

Thanks for sharing it here Ol Captain!

167WhiteTAIL

Great post!! As soon as you mentioned the Broad river, I had a whole filling cabinet of 'deposits' open.

I remember one summer, 1989 or 90. It was the first day of summer school at UGA, International Economics. I walked in the class, sat in the back next to a window. It was a beautiful, drop dead gorgeous day. A guy walked in the class, I had met him a few times when he came over to our apartment at Rivermill for a few parties. We knew each other just by name.

He came in and sat next to me. We started talking about how beautiful the day was. I could tell a light bulb went off in his head and he said, "do you want to go canoeing and kayaking (he had a canoe and a kayak). I had never been. I felt like a 5 yr old kid when his parents asked, "Would you like to go to Disney World?"

The decision was not hard, we closed our books and walked out of class. That was the first of many times we traversed the Broad river. That summer we hit ever river in north GA and a few out of state.

That was 25 years ago. Me and my friend are still making deposits.

Thanks for sharing your day, sounds like y'all had a blast!!!