marine personal property tax???????

Nautical Son

I'll let you know another way to beat this stupid :banginghe:banginghe tax too. If you own multiple watercraft, then simply register each one in another family members name and avoid the collective total amount of one persons personal property amount. Works great for my buddy who owns 4 vessels.

I never value anything as much as I paid for it regardless.

urack8ball

Tbug thats what it is & make sure you send it back to em!! I recieved that form and threw it away, feeling "theres no way they'll tax a 12' jonboat that wasnt worth the amount of welding rod it took to make it float". Next year there was an assessment of $2500 on it. Took me weeks to get that straight......(I never had to pay anything on it)

Last edited:
P

potsticker

Thats childs play. I havent had my boat out in 3 months and my county still charges me tax on it like it wuz new! We pay sales taxes at purchase, we pay a tag fee every year, we send the money to the dnr to register said boat. we pay gas tax when we fill the boat with gas. We pay(user fee) to launch our boat. Yet we let horse and 4 wheelers drive all over our wmas, and they dont pay a dime. We buy sportsmens license to help the state dnr. Im throu with this stuff. Like last feb. on lake lanier, when me and my cousin came upon a dnr boat duing striper surveys. They waved us over to a closer look of their electronic catch. we exchanged pleasantries, and a game official said, thanks for buying a fishing license. I retorted as we drifted away, who said we had a fishing license? They still may be untangling these guys out of their boat!

Ron288

Doe sanyone agree with this crap. I saved and saved to buy a boat. I bought a boat and paid sales tax on it. The I pay to register the trailer...then I pay DNR to register the boat...then to find out I have to pay a tax for personal property...what kind of crap is this. Oh yeah I also have to pay to use what used to be a lake......Talk about sticking it to you......GA has that down. This should be so illegal. Whta about bycycle tax they dont have it. no four wheeler tax. Why is it the harder you work the more the gov sticks it to you.....Is there no one else here that calls ****** on this.....

I think they call it luxury tax.

Buckeye1

i was shocked when i got mine in the mail because i never got one when i had my used carolina skiff but i just bout a triton brand new and got this lovely letter in the mail...crooked folks

Cypress94

Am I hearing the initial stages to an uprising? I'm in!!!

Me too...where do I sign up?? And while we're at it, I don't care what the schools say, property taxes need to GO AWAY!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::shoot::shoot:

We need to vote that baby away in November!!!

Randy

sounds like you guys need to be voting for Huckabee for president.

twtabb

O got the same form last year. Told them the boat was an1988 model and had two holes in it but I didn't know the value. They sent me a tax notice and placed a value on the boat of over $10,000
It took me a few weeks to get that taken care and dang if they didn't send me another form this year on the same 20 year old boat.

Cypress94

I just got my "questionnaire" from the county today...shheez, they just don't give up....my boat is 11 years old....but I know they are looking for a goldmine!

medic42

So where does one come up with the value of a used boat. Mine is only about 8 months old, but I'm sure it is like driving a new car off the lot - it decreases the second it hits the road.

Randy

So where does one come up with the value of a used boat. Mine is only about 8 months old, but I'm sure it is like driving a new car off the lot - it decreases the second it hits the road.

Actually that is the really sad part about this. On the form, you set the value. If they think it is too low and they have time they have a chart/form they can go to to look up your boat and get a "recommended value." Problem is this form does not have every boat or motor so in some cases they guess at which one is closest. Of course some of the women that know nothing about boats don't know enough to make an informed decission/guess so they may guess higher or lower. Then if they have it too high you must take something in to prove they are off base. They don't have to prove the value you do. They get to guess.

medic42

Well using NADA, the closest I come up with is about $9500.
I had to do my own figuring because it list the boat with a 25hp and also includes the trailer. I paid 12,500 + taxes when I bout it. Does all this sound about right?

rayjay

If you have a weak heart don't read the thread in the link below. I ended up paying the taxes on my boat even though I was not responsible for them. The Bartow tax people even admitted that I was not responsible for the taxes but refused to remove the lien on my boat. I ended up paying the taxes [ and late fees ] because I needed to sell the boat and I had to sign a paper saying it was free of liens.

It's one thing to pay taxes that you actually owe but to be forced to pay taxes you don't owe is nothing more than extortion.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=117329

padula54321

Just call and tell them the boat is in Fla., but you live here...... If it is not stored in GA they cannot make you pay the TAX....

mudpupy

I had a $2500 Sea ray for 4 years and sold it 4 months ago. I just got tax papers in the mail, for the first time. I call the tax asessers office and told them I sold it, they want me to pay four years back taxes. I told them I had no bill for the last four years so I was not paying it. Let the new owner pay the taxes, I sold all four of my boats.

jimmystriton

Here poses another question...where in the heck doe all this luxury tax go.... We can all agree it is not put back into Lanier by the boat ramp issue and the horrible docks they have. I think they should tax 1. the tax away, 2. if we do pay it go out and by bottled water and fill up all the COE lakes. You know with all the boats in the state there would be enough money.But I am sure it is a lot different for different folks. I am amazed how much I have to pay for a 21 ft bass boat. Can you imagine what it must cost those people with the 50ft 250,000.00 cigar type boat...that must be outragous.........

jimmy_mac

After paying taxes on my Tahoe for 2 years I sold it due to health problems, anyway I filled out the paperwork for the state tax ppl and sent it in along with a copy of the bill of sale. I just got a bill for taxes due that were not paid for 07. I sold the boat in Feb. 07, but yet they want me pay a years tax on it. I refused, so now the tax folks are saying I can't register it...ha, ha, ha. I sold the boat to a guy in Mississippi. These ppl are nuts. I remailed them a copy of the same paperwork, now I get a tax assement notice to fill out for the values for 2008...their right hand has no clue what their left hand is doing.

LanierSpots

If you own the boat on the first day of the year, you must pay the tax for the entire year. If you decide not to pay it, you will have a tax len on your credit report. Your best bet is to pay it or you will have a very hard time getting it taken off your credit report

From past experience