marine personal property tax???????

DoeMaster

Re: GA Taxes

Yep I take it every year with a lot of pain for my boat. It kills me I have to pay more tax on my boat then the truck that pulls it. Makes NO sense:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Wait a minute brother.....I too pay out the wazoo in "nuisance" taxes on my boats, but the sales tax and annual advalorum (luxury) tax on my truck is also outragous!! I remember Gov Sonny Perdue running for election on a platform to eliminate all these GA "nuisance" taxes (specifically advalorum taxes)......what happened?? I never heard anything else about it after he was elected!! :flag:

Badluck

I 100% agree this tax is a joke - I remember when I recieved the notification after buying my boat - I thought it was a county tax instead of a state tax - I called the county and asked them - If I have to pay this tax - will you pay for my gas to get to the lake, since we have no lakes in our county - That is when I found out it was a state tax -

So I wonder what they use the money for - You have to pay at every ramp and our ramps and docks are not kept up on any lake I fish on - I have lived in Al and FL - no taxes like this and you never have to pay to lauch your boat at public ramp.

I always try to launch from a marina in georgia - at least someone profits instaed of the state which takes the money and provides no services. This state should have made changes to this, when they passed the fishing Georgia bill. They could have gave back to all the people that spend money in the state.:hair:

It is all insane

R

RUEUST

I am holding my"Marine Property Tax Return And Schedules" form in my hand and it reads:
DATE PURCHASED: 2003
PURCHASED: Used
HORSEPOWER: 150
COST of Boat $4000
COST of motor $0
COST of boat and motor (Excluding Trailer). $4000
Says nothing about the value.
So I say on the 2nd year you payed nothing for it THAT YEAR so the cost is Zero. (wonder is that would fly in court)? Did not try that one!

HOWEVER, I bought my boat sold it to my friend $4000 (cough cough) only a title change to his name. Then he sold it back to me for $4000. New title. Now my tax form says COST of boat and motor is $4000 and I pay no taxes on it. All for a total cost of 2 title tranfers at $18 each. How do you like me now, tax man. They make the rules. They are not any smarter than you. It is your job to make the rules work for you.

riverrat

i agree the taxes are bull****, so lets form a band of boating brothers and protest the outragous taxes! LOL!

jodelf9

I want to buy a used boat that cost $14,000.00. If my wife and I share ownership of it do we each get a $7,500.00 exemption?

Randy

You don't get exemptions!:rofl: You get inclusions.

switmer01

I have a 99 22ft Crownline, a 06 Yamaha VX110 and a 04 Triton 186 w/150 I received the tax form once....told them boats were sold never heard from them again.

rford90

riverrat hit the nail right on the head. Until boaters ban together and start petitions and contact their local representatives this will continue. About ten years ago the state taxed horses people owned for pleasure. Around this same time the state stopped taxing tractors that people bought to use around their house. The state was even taxing tools that mechanics bought with their own money to use at their jobs if the value of the tools was over a certain amount. This stopped when enough people got together and started serious complaining. Start by emailing your local representatives and get everyone you know and people on this site to start contacting their representatives. If they get enough complaints it will make it to discussion, this is an election year. Around three years ago they made exemptions for boats valued under $7,500.00, which left many boaters with nothing to complain about. It's a luxury tax and if Mr. Purdue wants to promote his Georgia Fishing project this would be a good place to start. Maybe we can get Sonny to hold a prayer session and ask God if this luxury tax put on the back of a hard working person trying to enjoy himself is right, he took the time to pray for rain and it worked. Sorry for the rant.

I have a 1982 boat with a 1986 motor. I got one of those stupid forms from Gwinnett County. I valued it at like $1500 and never heard anything back from them, so I guess I don't owe them anything.

trickworm

yep I got the same forms and filled them things out and sent them back arox value of my boat is about 3.000 they valued it at 7grand . some one over there is smokin some good stuff . this crap just ticks me off . that they can sent the value of any peace of property that they don't own. i guess there out to screw the little man any way they can . OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS . I'M MOVIN TO CANADA

Randy

I have a 99 22ft Crownline, a 06 Yamaha VX110 and a 04 Triton 186 w/150 I received the tax form once....told them boats were sold never heard from them again.

When they decide to ride out to your house and see you with them they will not only tax you on them but back tax youo on them.

DYI hunting

I wonder how long before personal property tax is expanded to include ATV's, Tractors, Golf Carts, and other recreational vehicles?

jettman96

The problem with those is that you don't have to register them to use them, like you do with a boat. DNR and the State can keep tabs on ya if you register the boat. Where as the other are not registered and much harder for the state keep up with who actually owns them.

Randy

Ding Ding!!! and the ONLY reason they do not tax them.

DYI hunting

The problem with those is that you don't have to register them to use them, like you do with a boat. DNR and the State can keep tabs on ya if you register the boat. Where as the other are not registered and much harder for the state keep up with who actually owns them.

Don't mention that on a public thread, Lord knows what politician is reading this saying "wow, we could really boost revenue by registering ATVs, tractors, and golf carts."

i look for em to start taxing riding mowers before long.:hair::cry:
thats a luxury,you could use a push mower,or weed eater,maybe even a sling blade.:banginghe:eek:

Don't mention that on a public thread, Lord knows what politician is reading this saying "wow, we could really boost revenue by registering ATVs, tractors, and golf carts."

they all ready do in some places if they know you have it.
believe me,they get there share for my tractors,and then some

jodelf9

Personal property tax exemption

It does not matter how many people own the personal property(s) if the value exceeds $7500.00 somebody pays taxes on it. Sorry for the mistake.

Every individual in the state of Georgia gets a $7,500.00 exemption on personal property taxes. :) If two individuals own a boat valued at $14,000.00 neither person owes any taxes because their interest does not exceed the $7,500.00 exemption. :bounce:

O.C.G.A. § 48-5-42.1

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2007 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2007 Regular Session ***

TITLE 48. REVENUE AND TAXATION
CHAPTER 5. AD VALOREM TAXATION OF PROPERTY
ARTICLE 2. PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTIONS AND DEFERRAL
PART 1. TAX EXEMPTIONS

O.C.G.A. § 48-5-42.1 (2007)

§ 48-5-42.1. Personal property tax exemption for property valued at $7,500.00 or less

(a) It is the intent of this Code section to exempt from the payment of ad valorem taxation certain tangible personal property on which the tax due does not exceed the reasonable cost of administering and collecting the tax.

(b) All tangible personal property of a taxpayer, except motor vehicles, trailers, and mobile homes, shall be exempt from all ad valorem taxation if the actual fair market value of the total amount of taxable tangible personal property owned by the taxpayer within the county, as determined by the board of tax assessors, does not exceed $7,500.00.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 48-5-42.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1986, p. 878, § 1; Ga. L. 1988, p. 13, § 48; Ga. L. 2001, p. 1218, § 1.

Last edited: