Mark5hd 3.6x18x44 vs NF NX8 2.5x20x50

FlipKing

Anyone have any experience with either or both? Considering switching the scope on my rifle from a VX5hd and wanting a little more magnification/toughness/dialing but I also don't want to lose glass clarity. Both scopes would be the same price except the Mark5 would require new rings.

SC Hunter

My buddy has a Mark5 5-25x56 on a Ridgeline in 26 Nosler. I shot a doe with it this year and was impressed with the scope clarity, magnification, and overall quality.

FlipKing

Nightforce is in a class of their own in regards to durability.

The only thing I’d consider over NF would be Schmidt & Bender.
I've heard NF are the toughest, but glass isn't amazing. Also I don't hate their reticles...but I don't love them lol

Jim Boyd

Both sound pricey!

Lilly001

I have a 2x10 VX5 HD.
It is the clearest scope I’ve ever owned.
But I don’t own any of the other high end scopes to compare.
Zeis conquest and leupold VX3 are my best scopes otherwise.

Long Cut

I've heard NF are the toughest, but glass isn't amazing. Also I don't hate their reticles...but I don't love them lol

SWFA, Arken, Nightforce & S&B are probably the only scopes that can reliably hold zero from moderate to heavy abuse. The best glass in the world is worthless if it can’t reliably hold its zero.

All brands above are Japanese or European glass minus the Arken’s SH-4 series. The EP’s are Japanese glass.

Last edited:

FlipKing

I am also looking at the VX5hd. I like 30mm tube and fire dot reticle. I have hunted with a Nightforce scope glass was good but the scope was too heavy for my liking.
I have 2. They are super clear and I've been happy with them. But I hunt with 2 kids and my rifle gets bumped more than I'd like. Lol Looking for something a little tougher.

FlipKing

SWFA, Arken, Nightforce & S&B are probably the only scopes that can reliably hold zero from moderate to heavy abuse. The best glass in the world is worthless if it can’t reliably hold its zero.

All brands above are Japanese or European glass minus the Arken.
You're not wrong there. Though the most rugged scope is useless if I can't see a deer at last light. It's a balance for sure. I'd definitely lean NF more if their reticles were better. I'd probably go F1 MOAR

Long Cut

You're not wrong there. Though the most rugged scope is useless if I can't see a deer at last light. It's a balance for sure. I'd definitely lean NF more if their reticles were better. I'd probably go F1 MOAR
S&B Klassic or Polar series with the 56mm objective if you’re squeezing every second of shooting light.

Reactions: Dub

ChidJ

@FlipKing I'd go with the Mk5. The NX8 has a pretty sweet mag range but really its not so useful at the top end as it darkens considerably. Also the parallax is more finicky and eyebox is much tighter. I also like the turrets on the Mk5 better (elevation locks). One big negative on the Mk5, and this could be the deal breaker, is the obnoxious 35mm main tube. Then there's the bit where, if you compare apples to apples, the NX8 will be a few hundred cheaper. You might say this is being picky but in this category, that's all you can be.

I would be willing to bet good money and I'd put up a Leupold against someone else's NX8 in a torture test. I bet the Leupold Mk5 3-18 wins over the NX8 2.5-20. That's not hyperbole. Consider it a standing offer.

This is not to say that NF doesn't make good scopes. This isn't about brands, but about the specific model. The NX8 series is much more biased to very light with wide mag ranges. I would take an NX8 2.5-20 over a VX-3, for example. And they aren't bad. But for the money, the Mk5 outperforms them where it counts (assuming you get one with one of the useful illuminated reticles) They are not as durable as the ATACR line in any way shape or form.

I don't think you'll be terribly disappointed either way but if you are gonna spend good money, might as well get the best option for the money.... not sure the Mk5 is the best for the money but its the better of the two

Nimrod71

I have NightForce scopes on two of my rifles and several Leupolds on others. For hard use I would go with the N F scopes for general shooting the Leupolds a fine. I carry the N.F. equipt. rifles on a handlebar rack on my four wheeler and after a full hunting season they have not lost Zero.

Long Cut

Here’s 2 Mark5’s that were tested and could not hold their zero from drop tests or riding in the back seat of a truck.

In my opinion if a scope cannot hold a reliable zero from sitting in the backseat of a pickup truck, that ATV ride, lowering the rifle from the stand or any other movements that happen during a hunt will only cause me to lose confidence.

I know Leupold has a large fan base but in today’s game there’s better to be had.

rmp

Here’s 2 Mark5’s that were tested and could not hold their zero from drop tests or riding in the back seat of a truck.

In my opinion if a scope cannot hold a reliable zero from sitting in the backseat of a pickup truck, that ATV ride, lowering the rifle from the stand or any other movements that happen during a hunt will only cause me to lose confidence.

I know Leupold has a large fan base but in today’s game there’s better to be had.
Interesting..Thanks for posting.

Long Cut

Interesting..Thanks for posting.

Yessir.

Sorry for blowing up this thread, I’m going 2 back to back deer seasons having failures in my rifle scopes (Bushnell). So I’m doing my due diligence in making sure all my weapon systems are as “bomb proof” as possible.I’m hopeful passing some of this information along helps others from the headaches I’ve experienced.

FlipKing

Yessir.

Sorry for blowing up this thread, I’m going 2 back to back deer seasons having failures in my rifle scopes (Bushnell). So I’m doing my due diligence in making sure all my weapon systems are as “bomb proof” as possible.I’m hopeful passing some of this information along helps others from the headaches I’ve experienced.
My VX5 was leaned up against the tailgate and slid over and fell to the ground. It was about 2" left and 3" high

pdsniper

I have been a LE Sniper for over 30 yrs now and Nightforce scopes is all I use on my sniper rifles and on my hunting rifles they don't get any better, I have two NX 8's and love them one is on one of my Sniper rifles the other is on my CVA Paramount muzzle loader I think the NX 8 is the most versatile scope they have ever made

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have had 2 drops of scoped rifles that I remember. One was a Nikon...it must have hit everything it could on the way out of the truck and onto the ground...still Zero. I dropped a heavy rifle off of my shoulder (Browning A-Bolt M1000) and it has a Meopta Artemis on it...the objective bell bent a touch...still Zero.

Kinda funny to me to hear a Leupold won't make a 4-wheeler ride and stay at Zero:huh: