Remington 783 sight in issues

Cypress94

Hey all, I’m having some issues and I’m not sure where to begin. I feel like I want to just get rid of this gun. I bought it about 4 years ago, chambers in .30-06. I put a Bushnell Banner 6-18x 50mm on it. Had to go with Remington high mounts because Leopold doesn’t make them. I loaded some rounds for it, I shot core-loks and half a box of Federal premiums in it…I could barely get it on paper, much less dial it in. At some point I must have put the factory scope back on it and it did ok, so I sent the scope back to Bushnell and they replaced it. Season must’ve ended and I never put it on the gun. Things/life happened, haven’t picked it back up until yesterday. I mounted the rings and new scope, and had issues with dialing in the elevation when bore sighting. I had to put shims in it. Got it bore sighted, took it to the range and started at 100 yds. Wasn’t hitting paper or anything. Moved target to 50 yds, 1st was a flyer, second and third hit 8“ left of center, moved cross hairs to the right, fired, adjusted again and look in the glass, and all of a sudden it looked like trash in my scope. Like the reticle had split apart all the way on the right. So I put the gun down. Obviously I need to call Bushnell, but has anyone else had trouble with these rifles and other scopes? The bell wasn’t touching the barrel…I don’t know what caused the scope to do that? It’s almost like these scopes aren’t made to work with these guns…any suggestions on an inexpensive 50mm objective scope that anyon has had experience with? Thanks in advance

chuckdog

If you require shims, you need a different mount. The scope may be too high for a traditional bore sighter to work. With a turnbolt, simply remove the bolt, steady the rifle in a cradle and look directly through the bore to align the crosshairs on a small dot, etc at 25 to 50 yards. You should be on the paper @ 50 yards.

To get you scope closer to the bore I would also ditch the 50mm Bushy and get a better quality glass 40-44mm objective scope. You can stay with Bushnell, or similarly priced Vortex, etc, just look for quality of glass instead of quantity. An inexpensive 50mm objective ain't likely to perform as well as a 36-40mm with better light transmission, edge to edge clarity, repeatable reliable settings.

Before shooting another round, I'd make sure every screw on the rifle is properly torqued.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If you require shims, you need a different mount. The scope may be too high for a traditional bore sighter to work. With a turnbolt, simply remove the bolt, steady the rifle in a cradle and look directly through the bore to align the crosshairs on a small dot, etc at 25 to 50 yards. You should be on the paper @ 50 yards.

To get you scope closer to the bore I would also ditch the 50mm Bushy and get a better quality glass 40-44mm objective scope. You can stay with Bushnell, or similarly priced Vortex, etc, just look for quality of glass instead of quantity. An inexpensive 50mm objective ain't likely to perform as well as a 36-40mm with better light transmission, edge to edge clarity, repeatable reliable settings.

Before shooting another round, I'd make sure every screw on the rifle is properly torqued.
^^^^^ sound advice ^^^^^

Cypress94

Vortex, with the correct bases and rings, nail polish on the threads.
What bases and rings are “correct”? These are Remington branded bases/rings. For some reason, Leupold (always used them never had issues) doesn’t make them for this rifle. At least not a 2 piece mount. Any suggestions?

Cypress94

I see what’s happened now. The glass is cracked inside the scope. How would that happen? I had the gun cradled in a lead sled. Fired about 7 rounds?

Cypress94

Entirely possible that being fired in the lead sled broke the scope. Recoil energy gotta go somewhere...
I agree it is possible. I have shot hundreds of rounds on that sled, and haven’t broken one before. But anything is possible I guess. It also cracked on the side closest to the windage adjustment making me think it was torqued too much. But the tube itself was fine, no marks or indentations

Lilly001

Lots of possible culprits here.
High mounts with shims is a recipe for disaster.
The cheaper scopes, particularly when you add in a 50mm objective, aren’t as forgiving as others.
And the led sled does put stresses on a scope.
Pick one and eliminate it as the cause and move to the next,
Also in less expensive scopes I doubt you are getting any advantage From a 50mm objective.