Mathews No Cam

Coreypnich

I realize its fun to bash mathews, but I wouldnt comment on something you have never tried. I shot the no cam today and I have to say it was hard to put it down. This is the smoothest bow I have ever shot! Completely dead in the hand, smooth draw cycle, solid back wall, and best feeling bow on the release I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. The balance is perfect, it will not move in your hand on the shot even with an open grip. This bow I was shooting was bare bow with no stabilizer. I was going to buy an elite or obsession this year but just shooting it today completely changed my mind!

Rainmaker

The pic of the target model doesnt even look like a bow. I wish the manufacturers would surprise archers and make a bow that actually looks like a bow. The risers get longer and the limbs get shorter. Soon it will be an aluminum handlebar with 2 wheels on the end. You can ride it to your stand then use it to shoot a deer!

hoythunter1861

I hope my comment wasn't seen as anything against Mathews. I personally am intrigued and just voiced interest about certain aspects of the bow. I've personally shot and owned about almost every brand (PSE, Elite, Hoyt, Mathews, Bear, etc..) I've always just liked Hoyt best personally.

I don't know what someone would be brand loyal unless they are being paid to shoot the bow. If I am paying for it, I'm picking the bow I shoot the best and is the most comfortable to me. Good for Mathews for continuing to try new things.

Stealth

I have a real simple method for buying a new bow. I simply shoot it head to head with my current bow. If I can see and feel enough improvements in the new model I buy it, plain and simple.:bounce: The last upgrade was to the Reezen 6.5 I really haven't seen an increase in performance to warrant the cost of a new bow since then.:huh: That may change when I shoot the new No Cam. We'll see.

alan

The pic of the target model doesnt even look like a bow. I wish the manufacturers would surprise archers and make a bow that actually looks like a bow. The risers get longer and the limbs get shorter. Soon it will be an aluminum handlebar with 2 wheels on the end. You can ride it to your stand then use it to shoot a deer!

Thats funny right there!

The Arrow Guru

I want to look at one up close, but the video that Dan McCarthy posted was interesting. It looks as if the "cam" is a inner cam and the two wheels act as a binary or hybrid cam with symmetrical cams work. The string track along identical round wheels would produce the level nock travel, however the nock travel on a lot of binary and hybrid cams are already level so you are correcting a problem that doesn't always exist. Although they say that all bows have that problem, it's just not true.

When Mathews introduced the split harness with the offset inner rotating thingy on their dual cam models did the exact same thing the inner cam on binary and hybrid cams do, control power stroke, draw cycle and let off. Basically different parts to get the same effect. It is my opinion that this is the same thing. It's a way to do the same thing and look different.

Just because Mathews says it revolutionary does not make it so! LOL

Remember that Mathews removed almost all of their "innovation" and called it "simplistic advancement" and the Mathews guys bought it hook line and sinker.

I am interested in looking at it closer and shooting it. I admit I am a skeptic when it comes to Mathews, but I will give it fair shake.

tmann1990

$1,100? :rofl:

What exactly makes it that much better than a Hoyt, BowTech or Athens bow? Matthews is going to price themselves into bankruptcy.

hoythunter1861

Went today to finally mess around with the no-cam. Didn't actually get to shot it, so I have no idea about the hand shock or sound. What I do know is how it felt. I played around with it and the Creed for comparison purposes.

Pros:
After being drawn back, the backwall wasn't as spongy as the creed, so improvement there. Also, I felt the bow could be held for a good long while back there and just felt "right" while drawn back. Another good thing, I almost had to push the string forward to let it back down. Definitely an improvement.

Cons:
I personally did not like the new grip, nor did I like how the bow wanted to fall forward (felt very top-heavy). Also, the draw cycle was rough. The video makes it look butter smooth, but it's nowhere close. The Creed's draw cycle was much smoother. There was a "hump" that needed to be taken over when coming to full draw.

My personal analysis:
It's a good bow, but has some kinks to be worked out. I do like the no-cam idea, and I like how the cables are now connected better and how slim-lined everything is. It's got a ways to go still, but maybe Mathews can refine it. I personally believe there are better bows out there for much better prices though.

Another neat thing, the creed dropped to $700 bare bow now lol

dvmill

I realize its fun to bash mathews, but I wouldnt comment on something you have never tried. I shot the no cam today and I have to say it was hard to put it down. This is the smoothest bow I have ever shot! Completely dead in the hand, smooth draw cycle, solid back wall, and best feeling bow on the release I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. The balance is perfect, it will not move in your hand on the shot even with an open grip. This bow I was shooting was bare bow with no stabilizer. I was going to buy an elite or obsession this year but just shooting it today completely changed my mind!
I agree shot it yesterday fine bow super quite and smooth. It shot 280 @ 64lbs with a 28" draw loaded with a 500 axis that weighs 365 gr.

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
Went today to finally mess around with the no-cam. Didn't actually get to shot it, so I have no idea about the hand shock or sound. What I do know is how it felt. I played around with it and the Creed for comparison purposes.

Pros:
After being drawn back, the backwall wasn't as spongy as the creed, so improvement there. Also, I felt the bow could be held for a good long while back there and just felt "right" while drawn back. Another good thing, I almost had to push the string forward to let it back down. Definitely an improvement.

Cons:
I personally did not like the new grip, nor did I like how the bow wanted to fall forward (felt very top-heavy). Also, the draw cycle was rough. The video makes it look butter smooth, but it's nowhere close. The Creed's draw cycle was much smoother. There was a "hump" that needed to be taken over when coming to full draw.

My personal analysis:
It's a good bow, but has some kinks to be worked out. I do like the no-cam idea, and I like how the cables are now connected better and how slim-lined everything is. It's got a ways to go still, but maybe Mathews can refine it. I personally believe there are better bows out there for much better prices though.

Another neat thing, the creed dropped to $700 bare bow now lol

Uh... The Creed has a limb stop and the wall on it is as solid as they come.

hoythunter1861

Uh... The Creed has a limb stop and the wall on it is as solid as they come.

That's just something we'll have to disagree on. My Carbon Element RKT's back wall is much more solid. Again, the one I drew back, the back wall was spongy.

rmucken1

Shot the No Cam Wed in Warner Robins. The bow was set with the 85% let off and at 65 lbs. First impression I was not blown away. The draw cycle was fairly smooth with a slight hump toward the end. Was expecting more of a wow factor. The shot was dead in the hand. IMOP the Chill was a much smoother bow without sacrificing a ton of speed. The problem with the No Cam is to get anywhere close to the 330fps is u have to be 30" draw length at 65% let off. If u go the ultra smooth rout with 85% then it drops to 321. I'm a 27" draw, so I loose 30 fps off the top, plus what ever else u loose setting up for hunting. A test a saw on Internet with same setup for 27" resulted a bow that shot in the 260's. This bow I feel is just a marketing ploy and is not revolutionary. There was no Wow factor for me. I ended up upgrading DXT with a chill from Money Mizer in Macon. Trey did an excellent job. Highly recommend.

deadbox

Umm yeah, but they are CARBON.........facepalm:

Im assuming this is sarcasm at its best. At least I hope it is. If not someone fell hook line and sinker for one of the greatest hussles in the archery industry.

I'm not brand loyal. I shoot whatever feels good. But to say they are pricing there self out of business. Is like saying tobacco companies are gonna go out of business cause prices go up. Not gonna happen. I would be I interested to sales reports for manufacturer's. I see them selling a lot of these bows. Not that I like it. But year after year everyone complains. Then they bring a different look and then everyone bashes. Actually kinda funny. To me the hoyt Carbon is probably the ugliest bow I've ever seen. But there are people that drop the coin on them. I shoot an elite however a good friend of mine is a Mathews dealer.

Problem is everyone expects to much. A bow that looks like a traditional bow that shoots 350fps. Very forgiving, Is dead silent, dead in hand, and weighs less than 3 lbs. And under 1k. Is that to much to ask? I think so.

It is different. That's what everyone wanted. That's what they got. Bet they sell fast.

The Arrow Guru

Im assuming this is sarcasm at its best. At least I hope it is. If not someone fell hook line and sinker for one of the greatest hussles in the archery industry.

I'm not brand loyal. I shoot whatever feels good. But to say they are pricing there self out of business. Is like saying tobacco companies are gonna go out of business cause prices go up. Not gonna happen. I would be I interested to sales reports for manufacturer's. I see them selling a lot of these bows. Not that I like it. But year after year everyone complains. Then they bring a different look and then everyone bashes. Actually kinda funny. To me the hoyt Carbon is probably the ugliest bow I've ever seen. But there are people that drop the coin on them. I shoot an elite however a good friend of mine is a Mathews dealer.

Problem is everyone expects to much. A bow that looks like a traditional bow that shoots 350fps. Very forgiving, Is dead silent, dead in hand, and weighs less than 3 lbs. And under 1k. Is that to much to ask? I think so.

It is different. That's what everyone wanted. That's what they got. Bet they sell fast.

No sarcasm at all. Doesn't really matter if you think the carbon bow is worth it or not, it is a more expensive material. Justifies the cost of that bow verses the Mathews being made like all other aluminum bows but in the carbon price range.

Keep in mind I said I would not judge that bow until I get a chance to test it. However I believe it to be doing the same thing as a cam in a different way. No real innovation just using a different lever.