Mayhaw, Miller Co. Georgia

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
We have gone through two deer seasons now where we're not seeing the number of mature bucks that we should be seeing. My hunt club had over ten cell cameras out during this last season, and nobody got a mature buck by camera. Talking about 4.5 and older by judgement. Only two bucks were taken that aged more than 3.5. We didn't see any old bucks while hunting either, except for the two hunters who lucked up. Speaking with another club just north of Warren Rd, he's saying pretty much the same.
We're beginning to wonder if allowing hog hunting with night vision has anything to do with the problem? When almost a thousand acres is covered by cell cameras and no old bucks get their photo taken, something is going on. Local lady who owns the property we rent for a camp says she hears shots at night, and has witnessed spotlighting on Miller Rd. There is a hog problem and it needs to be addressed, I don't think night hunting them is the answer. Big traps that get a majority of a sounder would work better. Nobody in my hunt club is happy about what they've seen this last season. We all saw plenty young bucks and does, so there's plenty deer around. The problem isn't the lack of deer numbers, it's the lack of trophy bucks.

Attachments

• fight.jpg
    fight.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 27

HIGH COUNTRY

We did have pics of big ones, and actually almost came close with bow on several. Our land though is more private and not big fields, locked up tighter for vehicles. There are big fields around us, and I know they shoot them at night but probably not during peak of the rut. I agree totally that trapping and shooting in off season is better than allowing night hog hunting close to and during season. I am afraid on our property the main issue is way too many darn does, and we have more of a longer trickle rut over a longer period of time but not as intense as many years ago. I honestly dont think we could take enough does out legally to make a difference at least not with a bow, maybe with guns...

oldways

I hunt the WMA there and I’m telling you a lot of deer come off of there. Brown it’s down mindset hunters that stay camped in there all season long and big party’s from out of state. I don’t have a problem with people hunting and don’t care where you’re from but they come to party and shoot. The WMA has no sense of regulation on it I have been hunting it for 30 years and won’t be back on the weekends anymore. I wish they would shut it down for about two years and let it build back up.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Were there older bucks on camera back during the summer before the season? I could see blaming night hunters if they just up and disappeared after steady photos then none. But to not have anything over 4.5 for 2 years I would assume it's a pressure problem (which could also be from night hunters or any number of other reasons), or the property has changed it is no longer desirable for older bucks.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yes, we were getting mature bucks on camera before the 21 season, and before the 22 season. And then it's like they went up in smoke. We don't have high pressure. Here's some of the bucks I was hoping to see.

Attachments

• buckmar.jpg
    buckmar.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Piefiveold.jpg
    Piefiveold.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 22
  • big8 .jpg
    big8 .jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 22

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just received a text from the hunt camp. It's raining and the land owner just heard a shot across the road from camp.