Might be confirmed panthers in Ga. soon.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
In looking for the links to post about the studies with the released Texas cougars in north Florida that wandered up into Ga. back in the late 80's and early 90's I stumbled across this link. It refers to the studies and talks about how the USFG might be transplanting some to south east Ga.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/02/02/panthers0202.html

The reason I am looking for the links, it would explain some of the panther sightings back in the late 80s and especially in the early 90s, the cats in the later study seemed to travel all over south Ga. with one making it to Screven Co. (up above Statesboro) and one making it to the central chattahoochee valley. One also took up over in Grady Co for a little while.

http://blogs.augusta.com/node/2153

There is another link from Augusta about the same recent study in which Ga. looks like an area that is going to have Florida panthers before long.

Heck, maybe in my son's life time he won't have to go out west to hunt "lions" if the transplants (proposed ones that is) are successful. It does bring up a couple of interesting questions though. One I am sure that is on most folks minds is the effects on our deer population. The imediate knee jerk response will probably be that our heards will be decemated, I personally don't think so. I would imagine it would actually lead to a healthier heard, there are only a few areas in Ga. that the heard has not reached or exceeded the carrying capacity. The panthers would no doubt take some healthy deer, however, I imagine the majority would be deer in a less than healthy condition. Already there are thousands of deer/ car collisions in Ga. each year and the population hasn't suffered drastically because of them. Panthers from Florida would also eat as many hogs as deer (in parts of Fla. hogs make a larger percentage of their prey than deer) and a deminished hog population would only help the deer, especially in the mountains where there is some serious competition between hogs and deer for the acorns. I would imagine over time it would alter how we hunt deer, I imagine deer would react by being more active during the middle of the day, simply because that is when panthers are the least active and less likely to be hunting theirselves.

For those that think panthers would be a safety issue for those of us in the woods, I wouldn't be concerned. Until cougars were voted off the list of animals you could hunt in California, there were only 2 confirmed lion attacks on folks out there for the prior 100+ years. It was only after they were protected and their population grew to where there were more cougars than habitat did they become a problem. I personally don't see that happening in Ga. or anywhere else in the south east, us crackers love to hunt, and I do feel that once there is an established, healthy population in the south, everyone and their brother will have a pack of hound dogs so they can hunt panthers, and I imagine the DNR will allow it at some point in time. We hunt the fla black bear in Ga. down in south east Ga., with hounds yet they can't hunt them in Florida anymore.

Those are just some of my thoughts. I personally hope they do, we have some habitat in my part of Ga. that I am sure would be good for panthers, and quiet frankly just knowing (not speculating) that there is a viable population of them in the river swamps of the flint river would be neat. It would make the woods seem a little bit more wild. A little bit more interesting.

Last edited:
i have hunted for over 30 years and i hunt alot. i have never seen, heard, or talked to anyone that has seen one here in georgia. however, it is very possible that there could be panthers. it just seems like with all the people that hunt there would be more sightings plus how about all the motorist on the highway. shouldnt people be hitting them or at least seeing them?? i think the panther thing is just something for folks to talk about at this point!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
i have hunted for over 30 years and i hunt alot. i have never seen, heard, or talked to anyone that has seen one here in georgia. however, it is very possible that there could be panthers. it just seems like with all the people that hunt there would be more sightings plus how about all the motorist on the highway. shouldnt people be hitting them or at least seeing them?? i think the panther thing is just something for folks to talk about at this point!!

The program that Redneck Billcollector is talkin` about, is 100 percent credible. Those cougars were realeased in the Osceola National Forest in north Florida. A couple of them made their way up here. It`s no big secret, do a little research and you can read all about it.

o.k. ?????????????

The program that Redneck Billcollector is talkin` about, is 100 percent credible. Those cougars were realeased in the Osceola National Forest in north Florida. A couple of them made their way up here. It`s no big secret, do a little research and you can read all about it.
i understand that we might have 4 cougars in the entire state but what i am saying is that they are not an abundant wildlife animal in this state. no way!!! if so someone somewhere would see them on a semi regular basis!!

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits

If I recall, one was killed on one of the highways over in s.e.ga. and either one or two was killed by hunters near the Okefenokee. They know for a fact where the cats went, they all had radio transmitter collars on. The one that I found most interesting was the one that hung out over in Grady Co. that is in a part of the state that is heavily agricultural, one also followed the flint river on up past Albany. This isn't based on folks seeing them, this is based on tracking them with radio collars. I would imagine that these cats are what lead to many of the sightings that folks are claiming to have had during that time frame. If you read the two articles I have posted links to, they mention their wanderings in Ga. It was this study that has lead the USFW to present a study showing that the habitat is available in the south east.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
i understand that we might have 4 cougars in the entire state but what i am saying is that they are not an abundant wildlife animal in this state. no way!!! if so someone somewhere would see them on a semi regular basis!!

And you would be correct. They are not abundant, even in Florida.

Rockett

I don't know how abundant they are now and I hate even saying this on here but I saw a black one in the headlights of our truck about 20 years ago in ambrose georgia on the back side of a farm. The think cleared a 5 foot fence after standing there in our lights for 30 seconds. Haven't seen one since but I saw that one!

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
That is the paper I was looking for jonkayak, I would be willing to bet alot of the sightings that folks talk about on this forum were some of those cats, heck, a couple of them wandered all over south ga. That T-46 apparently hung out in Seminole Co. for awhile, that area seems to have been a hot spot for panther sightings on this forum too.

Ytka

The comparison between panthers and bigfoot seems pretty ignorant to me. I have know quite a few people that I completely trust (myself included) that have seen black panthers and/or cougars. I don't know a single person that claims to have seen bigfoot. The one I saw was no more than 20 feet in front of my truck, right in the headlights. My wife, mother-in-law, and I all saw it plain as day.

I've hunted in this state for pretty close to 20 years and have never once seen a black bear. I guess they don't exist either.

bubbaofga

Banned
I saw one back in 88 or 89 here in South Ga. However I am literally right on the Georgia Florida line. And yes there was one that was killed in this area.
The idiot that shot it threw the radio collar in the river and then went around bragging about it. He got caught naturally.

bubbaofga

Banned
He wasn't saying black panthers, he said panther. I agree with longears.
Their is no scientific evidence of "black panthers" other than the ones Obama pardons.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
you should research the term black panther, before you post a thread.

If you are talking about me, I didn't say black panther, I said panther, big difference....like Florida Panther. Panther is just a regional term for cougar, mountain lion, catamount, painter, etc....

There has never been one single documented instance of a cougar that had a melanistic phase. Leopards and Jaguars do, but not cougars. There have been some dark ones down in south america, but they werent black. Bout the only place you will find them (black panthers) are in big cities like atlanta.

If it was as prevalent as folks seem to think, you would think that at least one would have been killed or captured somewhere, especially where it is legal to hunt them (most western states), but there hasnt been one, ever.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think people started thinking of panthers as being black until they saw melanistic leopards on TV and movies. The old people of my grandparents generation around here in the Smokies grew up when panthers were still fairly common here. They never for a moment thought that panthers were black-they knew what they looked like. It's the younger generations who grew up after the panthers were pretty much wiped out and formed their ideas of what they looked like from TV instead of the woods who see black panthers- or more like see black housecats, labrador retrivers, black coyotes, and bears. Like has been mentioned, there has never been a single wild black cat documented in the US. There was one black panther confirmed in Missouri a few years ago-it was a small tame declawed melanistic leopard that had escaped from its cage during a tornado and walked up on someone's porch and stayed there until it was killed. It's funny that Indians, early explorers, and settlers in the southeast lived for generation after generation without ever seeing a black panther, but in recent years, they suddenly appeared and are seen everywhere by the hundreds, but are never photographed, killed, or caught in a trap?

patchestc

The comparison between panthers and bigfoot seems pretty ignorant to me. I have know quite a few people that I completely trust (myself included) that have seen black panthers and/or cougars. I don't know a single person that claims to have seen bigfoot. The one I saw was no more than 20 feet in front of my truck, right in the headlights. My wife, mother-in-law, and I all saw it plain as day.

I've hunted in this state for pretty close to 20 years and have never once seen a black bear. I guess they don't exist either.

I'll be 50 in September, got my first shotgun at age 15.
have hunted ever since. I have seen a black bear, and one
big black cat. both on dixon memorial forest in ware county.

i wasn't fast enough to get a picture of the cat, but i saw it.

Quercus Alba

I've read a good bit about the study you mentioned. I believe that due to the results(wandering, shootings, etc.) all the cats were re-captured.

borknone

On Nov. 16, Dave Adams of Newnan was deer hunting with a muzzleloader on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers property along West Point Lake when he shot and killed a male cougar that weighed 140 pounds. The property was south of Hwy 109 near the Abbottsford community west of LaGrange.