Might be confirmed panthers in Ga. soon.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
how many bobcats do you see hit on the side of the road?

Not as many as possums, coons, or dillers, but probably about as many bobcats as coyotes.

This year alone, I`ve seen close to a dozen gators spread out on the roads around here.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
how many bobcats do you see hit on the side of the road?

probably 6 to 8 a year. seriously. probably see that many live ones during the year while roaming around, too.

So many (dead ones) I don't stop and look at them any more. in the last 6 months I can think of three off the top of my head just sitting here.

seen two mink this calender year, too.

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That one has been around a while. Plus, there are no mule deer in Georgia. That is somewhere out west.

Steve Thompson

In the 80's I had a very smart friend who lived in Shadydale - Charlie Nelson a retired engineer. He saw two lions moving around a field with unabstructed and good view. Charlie was very serious about this. My mother saw one crossing her yard on lick creek in putman county, called me ever excited and in shock.
I have not heard of any sightings in either county since.

Backlasher82

Dead bobcats on the roadways of south west Georgia ain't that uncommon.

Must be those flat roads and higher speeds in South Georgia that gets bobcats flattened. I've seen quite a few bobcats roaming around up here in the mountains, I have yet to see one turned into a sail-cat on the road. 441 is about the only place you can get up any speed in Rabun County, I guess they just avoid it. Or maybe y'all have more traffic than we do. Except in the Fall of course.;)

I'm betting on the higher speeds though. I know for a fact that we have deer, bobcats, bear and pretty much every critter up here that all of Georgia has, except armadillos, and all I ever see dead on the road is squirrels. As I get onto flatter roads I start seeing deer, coons, coyotes, etc.
Even possums are extremely rare to see squashed in Rabun.

Point being, just because you don't see the road littered with dead critters doesn't mean they aren't in the woods.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I reckon I need to be lookin' for a lease in Monroe Co. so I can harvest me one of those Jawja blacktailed deer, those things are rare as hen's teeth down here.

Just Jeff

I guess y'all ain't heard, The mulies are migrating south

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I reckon I need to be lookin' for a lease in Monroe Co. so I can harvest me one of those Jawja blacktailed deer, those things are rare as hen's teeth down here.

Don;t laugh, I have had people tell me that they saw them on their lease, as well as mule deer. one guy swears "dnr" stocked mule deer back in the 80's or whenever as a test.

T

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Don;t laugh, I have had people tell me that they saw them on their lease, as well as mule deer. one guy swears "dnr" stocked mule deer back in the 80's or whenever as a test.

T

T, there were rumors floatin` all over south-central Georgia back in the 70s, of all the mule deer that were stocked. I reckon we killed em all at night and just didn`t recognize em. They were delicious. :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
T, there were rumors floatin` all over south-central Georgia back in the 70s, of all the mule deer that were stocked. I reckon we killed em all at night and just didn`t recognize em. They were delicious. :D

:rofl:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have heard those rumors too, had a buddy that swears they stocked them in Lee Co. back in the 70s. He would dang near get in a fight when folks didn't believe him. I would just sit back and think to myself that his belief about mulies ain't hurting nothing and just let him be. He ain't computer literate and when I tell him I aply for the Kentucky elk hunt he thinks I am crazy. Funny really, believes there are mulies hiding in the woods of Lee County yet thinks I am high when I talk about elk in Kentucky. Back when I used to mess with him though, I would ask him why the Hunting Regs didn't mention mulies he would never have an answer, I mean if the state spent all that money getting them here, wouldn't they address them in the regs? Like becareful, don't shoot one or something?

BigBrett

I understand people are hesitant to accept panthers exist in any other fashion than escaped pets. that being said my grandmother was and still is the most honest, christian and straight shooting person i have ever known and she saw several. One her father shot in the 19teens'or 20s. She said they had chickens and turkeys in the yard, they had a high roof coop the turkeys roosted up top and the chickens lower. the roof she guessed was 8 feet tall. One night something got after the chickens and turkeys and her dad shot it, on top of the coop. It was a panther, she called it broomsage colored. She said it weighted 80-100lbs. People came to see it until it rotted.

The rest she saw where like everyone else brief and in a hurry. My Dad, Mom, 2 Uncles and many more I can't even remember have seen these animals in tan, brown and black colors. These sightings have occured in Glascock, Jefferson, Washington and Warren counties.

I have never seen one. My dad took me deer hunting one evening when I was 7 or 8 and at prime time when the sun was setting we heard a scream I can not describe. My dad always taught me move, breathe and walk quite in and out of the woods. When we heard that, he stood up real quick and said unusually loud "On you feet, boy. Its time to make tracks."

AccUbonD

I was just cruising youtube and came across this video about a horse being attack by something in Michigan and also a couple of folks talk about how the DNR up there says there is no cougars. I just thought it was kinda weird DNR is the same down here. Looks like it was posted in 2008 opinions might have changed since then.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3TMoOgI-yw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R3TMoOgI-yw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Latest posts