Might be confirmed panthers in Ga. soon.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Yep, that were a bobcat, did you notice the markings on its ears? Cougars don't have those markings, but bobcats do. GON even said it was determined to be a bobcat.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I did see the markings on the ears. Besides that, I didnt see anything that resemelbed a bobcat.

have you ever seen a live bobcat?

T

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The Black Panther Song

The black panther song by Throwback (all rights reserved)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(chorus)
Black panthers, they're everywhere
Black panthers coming out of my hair
black panthers, they're after me..
Why won't the DNR believe?

Never seen an otter or a bobcat,
a black coyote or a feral cat,
but black panthers I've seen two or three,
on the ground and in a tree.

(chorus)

I saw one just the other day,
in a barn sleeping on the hay,
it ran off before I could get a pic,
MAN I tell you them things are SLICK!

Black panthers, they're everywhere
Black panthers coming out of my hair
black panthers, they're after me..
Why won't the DNR beeee-----lieve?

Hairtrigger

Yes sir T, alive and dead. Also saw one of those FL panthers they released a long time ago (in FL) in Fargo area. Was on a bear hunt on the border of the Okefenokee swamp.They had biologist out there trying to get info on. (long time ago) Everyone bobcat I have shot in the last 20 years has had color variationlike pictured below. Do the bobcats in central and north GA have tan coats with little or no color? Might explain why they came to this conclusion

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I personally also think most of the "black panthers" seen are actually bobcats. I saw a B-I-G bobcat in the city limits of mexico beach a couple of years ago that was very dark in color. They will readily eat a deer.

and the pics in GON were a little more blurred than the actual pics.

T

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
i understand that we might have 4 cougars in the entire state but what i am saying is that they are not an abundant wildlife animal in this state. no way!!! if so someone somewhere would see them on a semi regular basis!!

We have more than 4, unless I'm just lucky and have managed to see two of them.;) One on a lease off of 441 near Rock Eagle, and one on the the river south of Macon, not too far from the Middle Ga. Airport.

Crispy

I seen a big black cat and i mean big one whether it be panther or cougar it jumped a two lane road in front of me and my wife and father in law seen it on two more separate times and it was about a half mile from their house every time and this was in terrell county ga
I believe it because I've seen the same. It was incredible how much distance it could cover in one bound. Black too.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
can someone please explain to me (using logic and scientific facts) how these black panthers exist here in such large numbers and not one single melanistic phase cougar has been EVER known to exist in captivity or in the areas that they are know to be?

T

Crispy

can someone please explain to me (using logic and scientific facts) how these black panthers exist here in such large numbers and not one single melanistic phase cougar has been EVER known to exist in captivity or in the areas that they are know to be?

T
Can't explain it scientifically but know what I saw. Of the two black ones that I've seen, one was dead and laying on the edge of I-75 between Sarasota and Venice, Fl. It was pure black (could see a blue sheen coming off of the fur in the sunlight) and way too big to be a house cat. One thing that really sticks in my mind is how long and densely furred it's tail was. I wanted to stop and either retreive it or phone it in to the DNR but I was on my way to work, the traffic was too heavy and I didn't have a phone with me.

I wonder if it is possible that we are seeing Jaguar? I seem to remember reading somewhere that, in the past, Jaguar did inhabit parts of North America. Not sure though.
Bill

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Can't explain it scientifically but know what I saw. Of the two black ones that I've seen, one was dead and laying on the edge of I-75 between Sarasota and Venice, Fl. It was pure black (could see a blue sheen coming off of the fur in the sunlight) and way too big to be a house cat. One thing that really sticks in my mind is how long and densely furred it's tail was. I wanted to stop and either retreive it or phone it in to the DNR but I was on my way to work, the traffic was too heavy and I didn't have a phone with me.

I wonder if it is possible that we are seeing Jaguar? I seem to remember reading somewhere that, in the past, Jaguar did inhabit parts of North America. Not sure though.
Bill

As for the dead one on the side of the road, especially one as heavily traveled as that one, it would have been reported somewhere. Every panther killed on the highways in florida are collected by the DNR and a necropsy is done, if it were in fact a "black" panther or a melenistic jaguar it would have been all over the news and you would be able to find mention of it in at least one journal. The florida panther is probably one of the most studied large mammal populations in the world and were there EVER any melenistic ones born that would be huge news, while I am not saying the biologist see every one born, they do survey the vast majority of the litters and take DNA samples and other vitals.

Jaguars do occur from time to time in the southwest, namely Arizona and New Mexico. There are historical records of them being found as far north as the grand canyon and as far east as western Louisianna (the later in the 19th century).

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Yes sir T, alive and dead. Also saw one of those FL panthers they released a long time ago (in FL) in Fargo area. Was on a bear hunt on the border of the Okefenokee swamp.They had biologist out there trying to get info on. (long time ago) Everyone bobcat I have shot in the last 20 years has had color variationlike pictured below. Do the bobcats in central and north GA have tan coats with little or no color? Might explain why they came to this conclusion

Trapped many a bobcat in South Georgia(up in the 100s over the years) and plenty of them had very faint spots and some were without spots at all. Also hunted bobcats in northwest Florida with hounds all during the 70's with my grandfather (he hunted them at least 4 or so times a week for the last 25 or so years of his life) and killed many a cat that was weakly spotted or no really visible spots and tan in color. Alot of cats that aren't prime have weak spots. (for years and years I trapped for my extra money and even did it professionally back in the late 70s and cats and otter were my primary targeted animals for fur).

Crispy

As for the dead one on the side of the road, especially one as heavily traveled as that one, it would have been reported somewhere. Every panther killed on the highways in florida are collected by the DNR and a necropsy is done, if it were in fact a "black" panther or a melenistic jaguar it would have been all over the news and you would be able to find mention of it in at least one journal. The florida panther is probably one of the most studied large mammal populations in the world and were there EVER any melenistic ones born that would be huge news, while I am not saying the biologist see every one born, they do survey the vast majority of the litters and take DNA samples and other vitals.

Jaguars do occur from time to time in the southwest, namely Arizona and New Mexico. There are historical records of them being found as far north as the grand canyon and as far east as western Louisianna (the later in the 19th century).

Evidently, they didn't find it because I know it was there. It was laying on the outside edge of the road. I was riding passenger. We were on the outside lane and I got a real good look at it. The only other animals that it could have been are a dog, hog, deer, otter, bobcat or a house cat and I know for a fact that it was none of those animals. In case anyone is wondering....no, I have never seen an alien or a sasquatch but I have seen two black panthers or Jaguar :D
I won't mention it again.....