mookiate jasper

bam_bam

made this today. wish notches were a lil deeper but they stalled out on me. still gotta put a finishin edge on it.

Attachments

• mookie (600 x 450).jpg
    mookie (600 x 450).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 611

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice point Bam Bam. Never worked any mookite before. If that`s gonna be a Hernando, the notches are plenty deep now. Lookin` good!

SBG

Nice!

I hate you guys with talent!:D

Handgunner

Fine lookin' point, Bam Bam!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bam Bam, if you "round off" the little platforms in the notch, here`s a trick that works..............sometimes. Make a chisel point out of a deer antler tine about 4 inches long. Since your sandstone abrader won`t fit in that narrow notch, use a flint flake to grind the platform. Lay the point on a leather pad and lightly place you foot on it. Place the chisel point tine on the platform and get it at the correct angle. Use your hammerstone or antler billet and tap the tine to remove the flake. Turn the point over, grind the platform and go as deep as you dare. This also answers your question on indirect percussion.

Be careful not to let the tine flex in the notch. Bad things can happen!! Here`s a prime example! :cry: :banginghe :rolleyes:
Never forget--IT`S JUST A ROCK!!!

Attachments

• MVC-080F.JPG
    MVC-080F.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 590

Handgunner

You shouldn't have been standing on that point to begin with... Remember what you told me? "Know when to put it down! Know when it's finished" ::ke: :bounce: :rofl:

That notch on the left looks plenty deep enough.. :D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That was back in the days when I was hard-headed and stubborn!! :eek:

Handgunner

So you're telling me you did this last week? :rofl: :rofl:

bam_bam

:cool: thanks nick. i will try it and post my defeats. if is like anything else in knapping it wont be easy to master. i got me some georgia jasper i am saving for when i get real confident.