Moon Myths

lmbhanger

Banned
I hope I am heading to Jefferson County on the 10 th to stay until the 15th so we will see . I f history repeats itself we will be in wild craziness again this year.

ryanwhit

lmbhanger said:
Warm Weather and hunter influence are two big contributers of a suppressed rut, not to mention poor age structure and sex ratios which are out of balance.

I would argue that you have this backwards...IMO, age structure and sex ratios are far more important than weather and hunting pressure.

I like the word crepuscular too.

The other thing that kinda shoots the whole weather thing is deer living in central america. deer in honduras, which is on the equator (obviously the photoperiod does not change) can breed year round. The growing and casting of hard antler (initiated by chemicals in the brain usually triggered by photoperiod) seem to be arbitrary. Little is known about it, but it's pretty interesting. This is not to say that hunter sightings here aren't commonly decreased during warm weather, but rutting behavior can still occur.

Good thread.

lmbhanger

Banned
ryan I was not putting anything in order I think you misunderstood. If anything I was making light of the fact that warm weather and hunting pressure have a bigger impact than the other two.

ryanwhit

lmbhanger said:
ryan I was not putting anything in order I think you misunderstood. If anything I was making light of the fact that warm weather and hunting pressure have a bigger impact than the other two.

Oh, ok, gotcha.

calvin

Banned
"From: Ask a scientist"

Ask A Scientist©
Biology Archive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White-tailed Deer and Rut

name Steven
status educator
age 30s

Question - What causes the white tail deer to enter into the rut?
What causes the white tail deer to exit out of the rut?
------------------------------------------------
Rut is initiated by response to length of daylight hours - the photoperiod -
which is a reliable signal that does not vary from year to year as do
temperature and other conditions. Many seasonal responses in both plants and
animals are keyed to length of daylight.
J. Elliott

It's about biology and the science of study of whitetail deer...

not the moon...

Calvin

calvin

Banned
want a little more

Ask A Scientist©
Biology Archive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White-tailed Deer and Rutting Season

name Steven
status educator
age 30s

Question - What causes the white tail deer to enter into the rut?
What causes the white tail deer to exit out of the rut?
------------------------------------------------
The breeding season for deer takes place in the late fall [exact timing
varies by latitude], however, the preparation of the animals for the
rutting season begins in the summer. The sex hormones are slowly increased
over the preceding months and explains such things as the antler
development in males and the preparation of the female reproductive track
to maturate. The photoperiodism [amount of daylight] of the seasons
probably governs this process and it most definitely biological, meaning
genetic.

The hormone levels build up to a peak and at this time the female produces
pheromones that attack the males; this will result in matings. The males
are ready before this time, but are stimulated by these chemicals. After
mating, the pheromone secretions stop and it is all over.

The reason is clear. Nature provides the deer birthing to take place in
late May or early June [varies by latitude] whereby adequate food and cover
is available to assure survival of the fawns.

Steve Sample

...not the moon...it's about genetics....science proven..

Calvin

lmbhanger

Banned
Blah Blah Blah, if you read my last post sometime back you would see I said that it is when the moon and photoperiod coincide. Also, I think that many a biologistgets his/her ideas from outdated material .There isn't enough room on here to go into more detail, on this though. I will stick with my own observations and experiences you can stick with yours Calvin. It appears I am not the only one who has noticed the correlation and the long and short of it is that many, many, big bucks have fallen to my gun/bow during the time before the second full moon. You have your opinions I have mine we can now agree to disagree. And best of luck to you this year.

calvin

Banned
sure...

And best of luck to you this year.

The moon phases effect deer activity,(as well as fish activity, cow activity, cat activity)..

but has nothing to do with the rut.

I didn't make this up, I went to school at UGA. Many people write articles and it sells lots of papers and magazines. At UGA we studied whitetail deer for many years. There are truely many myths about deer, the rut and the moon not all of them are true however.

Calvin

lmbhanger

Banned
Like I said you have your opinions from UGA, I thought you were a deer processor but anyway and I will gather mine from personal observations and dead bucks, trail cameras,and log books at the seven pieces of property I hunt around the country. Biologists sit in small offices and make stuff up just to get published and make a name for themselves. It is funny you mention biologists because the state DNR biologist said I needed to shoot 200 does and based on my herd survey and a friend of mine who went to Miss. State, which is by the way the leading whitetail deer research university followed closely by Auburn, we decided that 200 was way too many and killed 100 instead. Half of what was recommended by UGA biologists and guess what....

Now six years later I have a perfect ratio for my herd almost 1:1. Glad I did not listen to those Ga biologists on that one. However, the DNR biologists were of trmendous help on several other things and I commend them for their help with that. In addition to them pushing for a more quality based managment program for the states deer herd.

calvin

Banned
My parents...

ran the deer processor...I just did all the WORK :whip: ..

They have retired and sold it, I've got an education and moved on...

No harm no foul...Good luck during the hunting season..

Me..I just want some deer sausage...

Calvin

ryanwhit

lmbhanger said:
Miss. State, which is by the way the leading whitetail deer research university followed closely by Auburn,

hanger...come on...this is laughable. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Miss State does have an excellent deer research program and facility. Dr. DeYoung is one of the best out there. Auburn...not so much.

lmbhanger

Banned
Mr. whit I guess you didn't realize where Imperial Clover was developed.... Auburn. Auburn has done extensive research on whitetails and has 6,000 acres of enclosed property where they do everything from food plot research to fawn production variables. So laughable to you maybe, but to some Auburn has contributed a great deal. But not as much as Miss. State I agree.

lmbhanger

Banned
Calvin, I am with you I need sausage as well.

ryanwhit

lmbhanger said:
Mr. whit I guess you didn't realize where Imperial Clover was developed.... Auburn. Auburn has done extensive research on whitetails and has 6,000 acres of enclosed property where they do everything from food plot research to fawn production variables. So laughable to you maybe, but to some Auburn has contributed a great deal. But not as much as Miss. State I agree.

I was unaware that the development of a type of clover was worthy of calling the entire wildlife program at a specific institution the second leading white-tailed deer research facility.

Let's take a look at some actual deer research:

Capture gun -- invented at UGA
First radio collar on a deer -- Dr. Larry Marchinton, UGA
4 of 7 external glands discovered -- UGA

And UGA isn't even in your list :huh:

The ranking probably goes:
1)TAM
2)Penn state
3)UGA
4)Miss state
5)Colorado state

all just my opinion.

lmbhanger

Banned
I apologize I may have been a little biased in my #2 ranking. I think it is a carry over from last years football season. Anyway, this thread got hijacked way back and we are off on a whole different subject.

And really who cares about who is the best University for deer research, I may be wrong but I think the best teachers of deer behavior are the deer themselves in a wild, fair chase environment. Maybe it is just me.

ryanwhit

lmbhanger said:
the best teachers of deer behavior are the deer themselves in a wild, fair chase environment

I totally agree :cheers:

lmbhanger

Banned
Bu the way for all you Dawg fans Auburn is coming to town to spoil any hopes of an SEC Championship birth. WAR EAGLE

hookedonbass

Dadgummit

lmbhanger said:
Bu the way for all you Dawg fans Auburn is coming to town to spoil any hopes of an SEC Championship birth. WAR EAGLE

And to think I was starting to like you!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How 'bout them DAWGS!!

lmbhanger

Banned
Yeah Baby, I can stir the pot on this one, I gurantee it. I say Auburn 21-UGA 23. If I was a betting man, which I am.