Moultrie Cell cams (XV7000 or xv6000?)

Gumpbuck

I currently use Moultrie mobile modems and I'm thinking about their new all in one cell cams. Does anyone here have experience with them? Battery life, picture quality, etc? I have good coverage in my area, so signal should not be a problem. I would just rather have one unit to deal with instead of two, the extra batteries and the USB cable that connects them. I currently run 3 modems. That means 6 units and 48 lithium batteries.

shdw633

I currently use Moultrie mobile modems and I'm thinking about their new all in one cell cams. Does anyone here have experience with them? Battery life, picture quality, etc? I have good coverage in my area, so signal should not be a problem. I would just rather have one unit to deal with instead of two, the extra batteries and the USB cable that connects them. I currently run 3 modems. That means 6 units and 48 lithium batteries.

I haven't used the new cams but you need to keep an eye out for the clearance sale at Academy and get you some of the Moultrie 12 volt Power Panels. They have a plug out that allows both the modem and camera to be run off of one panel and I never have to put batteries in any of my modems or cameras and they run non-stop. I have two modems and a dozen moultrie cameras my power panels run. I bought 6 last year when Academy put them on sale for around $26 I believe. Watch for them on Ebay as well because you can sometimes find them used on there for a good price and the best part is they are an easy fix if they go bad as far as the interior battery goes.

Gumpbuck

I haven't used the new cams but you need to keep an eye out for the clearance sale at Academy and get you some of the Moultrie 12 volt Power Panels. They have a plug out that allows both the modem and camera to be run off of one panel and I never have to put batteries in any of my modems or cameras and they run non-stop. I have two modems and a dozen moultrie cameras my power panels run. I bought 6 last year when Academy put them on sale for around $26 I believe. Watch for them on Ebay as well because you can sometimes find them used on there for a good price and the best part is they are an easy fix if they go bad as far as the interior battery goes.

So you don't even need to put at least one set of batteries in each unit?

shdw633

So you don't even need to put at least one set of batteries in each unit?

No...the power panel is a 12v battery itself, it's not just a solar panel, and the battery can be changed if it ever goes bad over time for around $12. I do put batteries in just in case I have an issue come up, like I'm in the middle of a pine row and the unit doesn't get enough sunlight during the day to run it completely through the night but in those instances my batteries, regular not lithium, last me nearly the whole year before I have to change them out. Academy also has a box with a battery in it that usually goes for somewhere around $50 from Stealth that I also think will work with Moultrie cameras based on the plug on the end of the cord, again you just have to get the splitter cord from Moultrie to be able to run both the modem and camera off of just one battery system.

Gumpbuck

No...the power panel is a 12v battery itself, it's not just a solar panel, and the battery can be changed if it ever goes bad over time for around $12. I do put batteries in just in case I have an issue come up, like I'm in the middle of a pine row and the unit doesn't get enough sunlight during the day to run it completely through the night but in those instances my batteries, regular not lithium, last me nearly the whole year before I have to change them out. Academy also has a box with a battery in it that usually goes for somewhere around $50 from Stealth that I also think will work with Moultrie cameras based on the plug on the end of the cord, again you just have to get the splitter cord from Moultrie to be able to run both the modem and camera off of just one battery system.
Thank you!

Jim Boyd

I have two 7000’s and the cams, while huge in size, seem to work ok.

Battery hungry.

Pics are clear.

Very sensitive to movement. Don’t put them on a scrape on a corn field if you know what I mean.

I would never buy them again.

The app - to me - is awful and the support even worse.

Pics appear on the app 18-24 hours after being taken.

If you want data month by month or week by week, they would work great.

If you want real time data to drive decisions, I would look carefully and ask many questions.

YMMV

livetohunt

Battery hungry.

Pics are clear.

Very sensitive to movement. Don’t put them on a scrape on a corn field if you know what I mean.

If you want real time data to drive decisions, I would look carefully and ask many questions.

YMMV

Good info.I was thinking about trying one but think I'll stick with Covert for now..The Covert sends pictures right away and I put a set of batteries in around Mid October. Today the batteries still show 100% on the app.

brownceluse

I‘be had one running since September and haven’t had any issues. They’re very sensitive but do have good quality pics. I run the SPYPOINT as well. For the money go with the SPYPOINT

Jim Boyd

Good info.I was thinking about trying one but think I'll stick with Covert for now.

Guys, keep in mind that I am basically an IT and electronics idiot.

That said, someone with more capability (and patience) might see better value in the cameras.

Tim (Nutt) has some of them and likes them....

I need plug and play capability and support.

Speaking of support, I have called and emailed Moultrie about 6-7 times and each time (when they bothered to reply) this issue was somehow my fault.

I do think these technologies will only improve going forward - and likely become less expensive.

I am not a Moultrie hater either, I have a great many of their cams in service.

tree cutter 08

Been running moutrie came last few years. They have worked better than any others in the past. Several a30s with modems. 1 7000 that's been running since july. Good luck with it also. As long as I have decent signal it sends pics within a minute or less. They are sensitive so keep that in mind when positioning. Windy day shadows trigger pics also. Like said earlier, this technology will only improve as time goes on so hopefully next few years will be even better. As long as they are working, I'll keep buying moutrie!

gp1189

I cannot say enough bad things about my Spypoint experience. Canadian company, customer service unreachable by chat or phone, and never a reply to an email in less than two full days. Prducts, both Evo and Micro worked great sometimes and not at all others, not related to cell signal. The last straw was their updating of their firmware, which they could have notified customers but chose not to, and then simply referring customers to their overly complicated updating instructions instead of actually trying to help them. Never done this before, but I feel compelled to warn people at least about my experience with this company over a six month period. Terrible.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I cannot say enough bad things about my Spypoint experience. Canadian company, customer service unreachable by chat or phone, and never a reply to an email in less than two full days. Prducts, both Evo and Micro worked great sometimes and not at all others, not related to cell signal. The last straw was their updating of their firmware, which they could have notified customers but chose not to, and then simply referring customers to their overly complicated updating instructions instead of actually trying to help them. Never done this before, but I feel compelled to warn people at least about my experience with this company over a six month period. Terrible.

Gp, after reading the same comment on 3 different posts, I take it you aren't happy with Spypoint. lol

shdw633

Gp, after reading the same comment on 3 different posts, I take it you aren't happy with Spypoint. lol

Especially since he just joined this morning and it's the only posts he's made. Wonder if he works with a competitor of Spypoint?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Especially since he just joined this morning and it's the only posts he's made. Wonder if he works with a competitor of Spypoint?
Lol, there's no telling. This day and time people will sell their soul to market.

gp1189

No, not at all but I can see why you might think that. I am a guy who goes out of his way to call a supervisor of someone just to provide good feedback. TIFWIW. I will make a prediction, though - there will be many more people with similar stories next Fall. The firmware update was done right after hunting season ended. Probably a coincidence. This is just a guess, but there may be a few folks affected by the firmware update, among other things, who will not know it until next hunting season. Hopefully, I am a lone person affected by their level of customer service. Granted, again, that's just one man's experience. However, I think the purpose of a forum is to share, so I figured I would.
Enjoy the day! Peace.

NUTT

You can select upload frequency and choose “immediate” and get your pics pretty much each time you open your app. This is under settings and can be done remotely. Mine have been flawless and CS incredibly good. For the money they are good BUT I do plan on purchasing a couple Coverts to try.

livetohunt

You can select upload frequency and choose “immediate” and get your pics pretty much each time you open your app. This is under settings and can be done remotely. Mine have been flawless and CS incredibly good. For the money they are good BUT I do plan on purchasing a couple Coverts to try.
I may try one of the Moultrie cell cams and see how it works out..I've had good luck with their regular trail cams over the years.

BonaireBuzz

Battery hungry.

Pics are clear.

YMMV
I'm going to add a little about the Moultrie cameras. While not the best and while the phone app isn't the greatest, I'm well pleased with mine so far. I've had it on a plot since 1 Jan and I'm still at 80% on battery. The pics generally reach me within minutes of being taken. One drawback is that if you want a high resolution pic delivered, you have t wait until the camera is activated again before it will send it. Also, there is no ability to force the camera to take a picture (as with a Covert). With the rebate, the camera is dirt cheap, so you can expect not to have all the bells and whistles. For me, it's a good economic choice.