Moultrie Cell cams (XV7000 or xv6000?)

gp1189

Hey, not trying to derail this Moultrie thread, but wanted to post an update on the Spypoint posts I made recently. On the sixth or seventh email volley with Spypoint's customer service (over a couple of months), a rep made the suggesting of removing the SIM card (and not the steps all previous reps had suggested); sure enough, that seemed to get the camera updated to the new firmware and working reasonably well. Just needed to post this follow up. Peace out, back to Moultrie.

Anthony61

BANNED
Make sure you read the reviews first:
https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/moultrie-game-cameras/products/moultrie-xv-7000i-verizon

the Moultrie data plans are VERY expensive compared to other cameras on the market. Prepare to spend a lot each month for a very small number of photos. (or settle for very few low res photos because you simply can't afford the number you really want)

In the long run, even with a lower upfront price, the camera may end up costing you a lot more than a higher priced competitor. You need to spend the time and do the math before you buy. Don't always make a buying decision on the upfront cost of the camera. do an apples to aples comparison of plan costs and features.

I find that in querying the average hunter who is running a camera in hunting season, they will prefer 5000+ photos per camera per month to fully enjoy the hobby and get the most scouting info from the camera. And as well most of them want all photos to be high res (HD)

I would see how much that will cost you on any camera's data plans you are preparing to purchase.

Moultrie, Spypoint and other manufacturers have done the math. Either they charge you upfront or later on when you start paying monthly fees. Rest assured, they are going to get their $$ in profit from you one way or another. the low price is not their attempt to do you a favor. Instead its a hook then they make their money on a monthly basis.

Buying a cellular camera can be a confusing process. there is a lot to consider. You read reviews, you listen to others, you look at the upfront price. I always say this. Ask yourself why you are buying the camera. If its for the enjoyment of seeing whats in the woods and for good scouting information, then you need to know what the costs of that information is.

Spend an evening doing the math and comparing camera upfront costs and plan costs. You may end up very disappointed after your purchase when you realize you want a lot more photos at larger resolutions but you can't afford it. Now you can't return the camera and you have to justify your purchase with your spouse and friends.

Last edited:

Gumpbuck

Well, I finally bought the Moultrie XV6000. As of a month ago, there was still no reviews I could find. I'm wondering if anyone else has purchased one yet.

As for me, I've been testing the camera in my back yard since June 10th. The picture quality is good and it is very sensitive. I live on a golf course and it pics up golfers from across the pond. That's at least 70 yards.

As for battery life, I used brand new Energizers. Normal, not lithium. It's currently showing 2 bars.

Performance: Well. it has shut down on me twice. I have had to remove the batteries and put them back in to reset it. It appears to have happened when I used the app to change the upload frequency. This last time though, things seem to be working.

I'm still about 3 weeks out from deploying it to the woods. That's a 4.5 hour drive from home.

If this thing shuts down on me again, other than dead batteries, I'm calling it in to customer support.

Anyone else start using the XV6000 or XA6000? How's it going?

Jim Boyd

Good info.I was thinking about trying one but think I'll stick with Covert for now..The Covert sends pictures right away and I put a set of batteries in around Mid October. Today the batteries still show 100% on the app.

I may need to eat a little bit of crow on this one.

Quite by accident, I learned that if you will double swipe the screen when it says there are no photos there, it will populate the new images and it seems to populate up to about 5 mins prior.

Heck of it is, I called Moultrie and emailed them several times each when I got to Illinois and no one bothered to tell me this.

One of my two 7000’s has now died and I am gonna TRY to return for warranty.

The camera seems to work ok, when they work, but Moultrie support is awful.

Maybe 3.5 stars for the camera and 1 star for Moultrie.

bonecollector123

I got one on sale and took it up to my lease a few weeks ago and set it up so far nothing. I keep checking my account and it says weak signal. I messaged Moultrie they said move the camera. Not gonna do me much good if I cant put it where I want it. Good luck fellas

bonecollector123

I took my Moultrie down because it wouldn't get signal after 3 weeks of nothing. I put up a spypoint Sunday and so far I got 62 pictures and it's on the same tree the Moultrie was. I have several regular Moultrie cameras that work great but I am taking this cell cam back and getting another spypoint.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
My 2 7000’s are in Illinois working flawlessly again this year.
Moultrie has a new pricing plan they come out with last week that seems to be better.
Yep, they are better plans a little. Think it's $17 a month unlimited or $13 prepaid annual.
Multiple cameras $35 a month with $8 add a line. Or $23 and $8 prepaid.
Reg plans only deduct 5 thumbs for hi res pics.

Jakepar1998

long story but I am also interested in 6000 feedback.
I bought a cv-6000 set it up and it takes great quality picture during the day but when it gets dark it only picks up the eyes of animals I love the camera but most of the pictures are coming in during the night is anyone else getting good night pictures or is it just a faulty camera or what?

XIronheadX

Condor

Have had the V7000 for a month. Set up in an area that my Verizon IPhone has 2 bars, unit has worked fine. Battery life has been good so far. Very easy to set up and use. The only unexplained minor problem I am having is that I have the control panel set up as immediate transmission of pictures. I seem to get pictures all in a lump after about 2-3 hours. This is not a big problem for me.

XIronheadX

Have had the V7000 for a month. Set up in an area that my Verizon IPhone has 2 bars, unit has worked fine. Battery life has been good so far. Very easy to set up and use. The only unexplained minor problem I am having is that I have the control panel set up as immediate transmission of pictures. I seem to get pictures all in a lump after about 2-3 hours. This is not a big problem for me.
Sounds like its on 8x a day upload. Or either the signal is intermittent or something. If you look on your Mobile on the computer it will show the signal strength when each pic comes in. I've seen it fluctuate about 50%.

rosewood

I took my Moultrie down because it wouldn't get signal after 3 weeks of nothing. I put up a spypoint Sunday and so far I got 62 pictures and it's on the same tree the Moultrie was. I have several regular Moultrie cameras that work great but I am taking this cell cam back and getting another spypoint.

I ran 2 different HCO brand cams before my Spypoint. The 1st HCO was 2G and since that network was turned off, it became a standard cam. The 2nd one kicked the bucket and so I bought the spypoint. The spypoint wouldn't get a signal from the same tree the HCOs were on. The property was even clear cut and it still wouldn't work on that tree. Had to move it across the field and up on a hill to work. It worked great until it got water in it.

Rosewood

Dusty Roads

You can select upload frequency and choose “immediate” and get your pics pretty much each time you open your app. This is under settings and can be done remotely. Mine have been flawless and CS incredibly good. For the money they are good BUT I do plan on purchasing a couple Coverts to try.
I read first thing early morning(brain foggy) so forgive me asking-what camera are you referring to?I'm in the market/never used a modern Blue-tooth/Cell camera

Gumpbuck

Well, I've had this thing out for about a month. I'm using a 12v battery/solar charger instead of AA lithium batteries.
So far the camera and charger are working well. No complaints. I have always gotten a good signal at this location. I just wish the deer showed up more often compared to priors years (long story). I'll add a couple pics for you to judge quality...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-163835.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-163835.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200814-134956.jpg
    Screenshot_20200814-134956.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 10

bmoss

Mite have to try one of those solar panels. My camera won’t send pictures but for about 2 or 3 days then nothing. Still shows battery life. But have to go back and change batteries out then same thing.

Latest posts