Moultrie M-50i

Twinkie .308

I see a lot of people asking about a lot of different cameras. It makes me wish more folks would share their experiences with different camera brands and models. It sure would help everyone to see what's out there. So here's my experience with the Moultrie M-50i.

I received my M-50i from Moultrie about a week ago. The shipping took a little less than a week. It was well packaged, seems well built and was pretty easy to set up. I did read the manual first. It has an adjustable PIR, a lockable password, time lapse, photo, photo/time lapse combo and video. And of course, you can change the delay, photo burst, and video length. It also has an option for a 3 shot burst or 3 triggered shot burst. The difference being 3 triggered must catch movement in order to take 3 pics and the regular 3 shot burst will take 3 pics as soon as motion triggers the camera once. I like this. It has an 80 ft detection range, as well as an 80 ft invisible infrared flash range.

For those that use python cables/locks this camera has two options when locking it to a tree. You can run the cables through the eyelets on the back of the camera or the eyelet on the front of the camera, which locks the camera door as well.

There's the details about the camera. If I missed anything or y'all have any questions, just ask. Here's a little bit about my set.

The camera comes with a mounting strap but I am going to use a screw in mount. The bottom of the camera is about 6 ft off the ground and is angled slightly down. This is a new location for me so I don't know what to expect. I found a pretty well used trail and dug a hole about 4 inches into the ground and 3 feet in diameter. I then placed a mineral block in the center and poured a bag of corn on top of and around the mineral block. I also cleared most of the limbs and brush that I thought might cause any blank pics. The camera is positioned 10 yards away from the mineral block. It is set to 3 shot triggered photos. I set the picture quality to 4mp even though it is a 20MP camera. The delay is set for 30 seconds and PIR is on low. I'm using a 32gb Sandisk memory card and high drain Dollar Tree batteries. If you have questions about my set or camera settings, please ask.

Ok. I'm going to check it in about a week. Let's see what happens ...
526201811529.jpg526201811551.jpg526201811612.jpg

Attachments

• 526201811529.jpg
    526201811529.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 526201811551.jpg
    526201811551.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 526201811612.jpg
    526201811612.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 0

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Sounds like a good setup. I'd crank the megapixels up. If one is back there in the bushes you are wanting to zoom in on, you may not see him too well at 4mp.

I have an S-50i, M40i. Some A-35s and an A-30i. The S-50i takes 12 batteries but I've had it detect motion at 50 yards. For basic setups the A series cams do fine with 14mp's I think it was. I used the S series and M series for the time lapse and Mobile connections. Overall I love the cameras. Thanks for the review, Twinkie.

shdw633

We have a M-50i and the pics are great, our only beef with the camera is when you crank the megapixels up it takes forever for them to load up to view. I got the new Panoramic 120-i that I have to put out in a couple of weeks and I will let you know about that camera when I start getting pics in. I plan on attaching it to my Moultrie Field modem so I will get the pics instantly.

Twinkie .308

Sounds like a good setup. I'd crank the megapixels up. If one is back there in the bushes you are wanting to zoom in on, you may not see him too well at 4mp.

I have an S-50i, M40i. Some A-35s and an A-30i. The S-50i takes 12 batteries but I've had it detect motion at 50 yards. For basic setups the A series cams do fine with 14mp's I think it was. I used the S series and M series for the time lapse and Mobile connections. Overall I love the cameras. Thanks for the review, Twinkie.

I used to set my cams on their highest quality setting. Then, I read about how the majority of trail camera manufacturers misconstrue the definition of megapixels to draw consumers eye to a package with higher megapixels on it. Most trail camera experts (which I am not claiming to be) will say you just have to look at the pictures themselves in order to judge the quality. Since I read that, I've been trying my cameras on lower than advertised settings and so far I can't tell much of a difference. I guess we shall see about the M-50i. I will try higher megapixel settings when I swap cards in a week. Thanks for the input!

XIronheadX

I used to set my cams on their highest quality setting. Then, I read about how the majority of trail camera manufacturers misconstrue the definition of megapixels to draw consumers eye to a package with higher megapixels on it. Most trail camera experts (which I am not claiming to be) will say you just have to look at the pictures themselves in order to judge the quality. Since I read that, I've been trying my cameras on lower than advertised settings and so far I can't tell much of a difference. I guess we shall see about the M-50i. I will try higher megapixel settings when I swap cards in a week. Thanks for the input!

I understand what you are saying. I was looking at some 16mp ones. The file size is huge to zoom into, but the quality of the actual camera unit doesn't keep the picture quality on the zoom. The M40i file size is 5376x3024. It makes for a nice initial pic. And that's about it.

Twinkie .308

We have a M-50i and the pics are great, our only beef with the camera is when you crank the megapixels up it takes forever for them to load up to view. I got the new Panoramic 120-i that I have to put out in a couple of weeks and I will let you know about that camera when I start getting pics in. I plan on attaching it to my Moultrie Field modem so I will get the pics instantly.

That's a very interesting looking camera. I can't wait to see some pics! I bet you can't either.

furtaker

Very true. I generally use a medium or low setting on mine too in order to save memory card space and I can tell practically zero difference in picture quality. Just because a camera is advertised as 12mp doesn't mean that it will take a clearer picture than the 8mp camera sitting on the shelf beside it. MP numbers are a sales pitch.

Keith Karr

I bought two M-40i cameras a couple of weeks ago and was so impressed with them that I bought 12 more that came today.

I plan to get several of them on salt licks Friday and will report back on this thread in a few weeks.

I've had about 5 of my old 880's give out recently. Still got 5 working that are 5-6 years old and one m-80 that is still kicking at 6-7 years old.

Twinkie .308

I bought two M-40i cameras a couple of weeks ago and was so impressed with them that I bought 12 more that came today.

I plan to get several of them on salt licks Friday and will report back on this thread in a few weeks.

I've had about 5 of my old 880's give out recently. Still got 5 working that are 5-6 years old and one m-80 that is still kicking at 6-7 years old.

I had two M-80's that lasted close to 10 years. One still takes pics when triggered but puts on random time and date stamps. The other one takes random pics with the correct time and date stamp. I need to combine them into one good working camera somehow.

Twinkie .308

Well, I didn't quite make it a week but I have to move my M-50i to another location. So, here's some pics from the last few days. I'm gonna try cranking the megapixels up at the new spot and see if it makes a difference. I'm happy so far. It took 368 pictures in about 4 days. Only one blank and we've had some pretty windy storms come through for at least 2 of those days.Screenshot_20180630-121334.jpgScreenshot_20180630-121424.jpgScreenshot_20180630-121435.jpgScreenshot_20180630-121903.jpgScreenshot_20180630-121641.jpgScreenshot_20180630-114906.jpgScreenshot_20180630-121529.jpgScreenshot_20180630-120959.jpg

XIronheadX

Those look a lot better than the ones above, Twinkie. Some fine pictures right there. Sun may have affected the first ones. I'm facing north 95% of the time if I can.

shdw633

I had two M-80's that lasted close to 10 years. One still takes pics when triggered but puts on random time and date stamps. The other one takes random pics with the correct time and date stamp. I need to combine them into one good working camera somehow.
I got three of them still out in the woods today going strong as ever. I think they will be 10 years old this season.

Twinkie .308

Those look a lot better than the ones above, Twinkie. Some fine pictures right there. Sun may have affected the first ones. I'm facing north 95% of the time if I can.

The first pictures I posted were from my cell phone. I think there was some film on my lense. My baby girl had my phone earlier. Lol. But yeah, I try to face all my cameras as close to north or south as I can to avoid the sun. This one is pointed south, south east.

XIronheadX

The first pictures I posted were from my cell phone. I think there was some film on my lense. My baby girl had my phone earlier. Lol. But yeah, I try to face all my cameras as close to north or south as I can to avoid the sun. This one is pointed south, south east.
Haha I didn't even pay attention I got so focused on the woods. I guess they are cell phone pics with no time stamps. Maybe I need a nap. lol