Ned head

greg_n_clayton

Any of you guys fished the ned head/z man jigs ? They look to me like they work very well for perch fishing finesse sizes.

CollinsCraft77

I use them mostly for bass but I have caught the occasional crappie and perch off of them. I would think there are better alternatives for perch but since I don't fish for them exclusively, I do not know. I will say the Ned will put numbers of bass in your boat. Ive caught just as many using a 3" yum worm on them as I have the zman products although I will admit they do act differently underwater.

greg_n_clayton

I use them mostly for bass but I have caught the occasional crappie and perch off of them. I would think there are better alternatives for perch but since I don't fish for them exclusively, I do not know. I will say the Ned will put numbers of bass in your boat. Ive caught just as many using a 3" yum worm on them as I have the zman products although I will admit they do act differently underwater.
I never heard of them until a few days ago. A guy had a good mess of perch he had caught with one. I wish I had ask what bait he he was using. The finesse stuff I believe would work with the smaller hook sizes. I think I will give them a try using my drop shot rod. The hellgramite looks like it might work as well up here near headwaters under the dams where you find live ones !

CollinsCraft77

Here's a tip. On a drop shot, use your regular setup. Instead of a weight on your tagline, rig up a ned. This technique is big up north and is gaining traction here. just make sure you keep contact with bottom and if casting, make sure your tagline is longer. Up to 24"

Doog

Does anyone catch perch consistently here in georgia with any bait? Seems like people get them randomly while fishing for other species.

I try the ned with the small TRD when they dont bite the shakeyhead.

greg_n_clayton

Does anyone catch perch consistently here in georgia with any bait? Seems like people get them randomly while fishing for other species.

I try the ned with the small TRD when they dont bite the shakeyhead.
Yes. I fish for em regular. I am just searching for a artificial to catch em on.

bigkoiboy

OP, yes the ned head would definitely work for perch, but it’s a little pricy compared to other jigheads. Ballheads can be bought in bulk for much less compared to the Z-Man heads. As for baits, the Z-Man TRD is a great multi species but may be a bit big for the average Georgia perch. 2” Curly Tail Grubs or Bobby Garland Baby Shads is what I would be using. Almost anything in the crappie aisle ought to catch a perch as well.

greg_n_clayton

OP, yes the ned head would definitely work for perch, but it’s a little pricy compared to other jigheads. Ballheads can be bought in bulk for much less compared to the Z-Man heads. As for baits, the Z-Man TRD is a great multi species but may be a bit big for the average Georgia perch. 2” Curly Tail Grubs or Bobby Garland Baby Shads is what I would be using. Almost anything in the crappie aisle ought to catch a perch as well.
Thanks for replying. I was really speaking of the ned head as a rig style. I have found a guy in Toccoa that will pour me some. I am after a hook smaller than a 2/0, which is the size most ned style jigs seem to have. I did see some 1/0 somewhere, but forgot where I was at !. I mentioned z man because my searching speaks of buoyancy of their baits to stand up.

CollinsCraft77

Gotcha. Theres a guy in Loganville that will pour and he does some neds. I know on his jig heads he customizes them for you. Not sure on his neds. Look him up on Facebook and contact him there. Mac Attack Jigs I think it is. Owners name is Mac Doyle. hit him up. He may can help you. tell him Danny with FishNorthGeorgia sent you

Cletus T.

I love a Ned Rig – it seems like when the fish won’t bite a thing……..they will hit a ned-head.
I’ve caught a bunch of fish with ole Ned Stark but I’ve never caught a really big one!

Teh Wicked

Neds catch about anything, I seen a guy catch a near Angler Award Rainbow on the Hooch with one. I have caught several 3-4lb class fish on a variety of rivers with them. Every fish in a Lake I have caught with them has been a dink.