new powerbelt bullets

biskit1216

I was at Walmart yesterday looking at big boy toys and saw some new powerbelt bullets. They were black with a red tip. The package said they were for 80 to 100 grain loads. All I shoot is 100 grains. Has anyone saw or tried them yet. Powerbelts are my favorite to shoot, and I thought about trying them out.

F

FrontierGander

the Aerolites shoot awesome in my Optimas and the wolf. I use 100 and 110gr blackhorn209 with the 250gr version. Not sure how they will do on game until Septembers muzzle loading season.

golffreak

I hope they are improved. I have never had a bloodtrail at all with powerbelts.

RipperIII

I've only shot one deer with my muzzleloader, using powerbelt .275 platinum bullets.
Buck, left a "red carpet" blood trail Stevie wonder could follow./
Interested to try out these "aero lite" bullets.
I think O'Neill killed a hog with these bullets.

F

FrontierGander

yep as long as it has at least a 1:48 twist. We used them a lot in our sidelocks.

RipperIII

I don't see how in the world anyone can put a 1/2" diameter hole in a deer's vitals and not get any blood, unless the round stopped the heart in which case the deer could not be too far,nor too difficult to find:huh:

F

FrontierGander

sometimes the " i put it behind the shoulder" didn't actually end up behind the shoulder.

80gr 3f T7, 225gr .45cal Powerbelt @ 80 yards. She left a 5 yard blood trail becauses that all she covered before hitting dirt and rolling down the mountain.
100_3476.jpg

100_3474.jpg

Bottom left corner is a big smudge in the dirt, thats where she went down and then rolled.
100_3475.jpg

Dudley McGarity

I tested the PowerBelt AeroLite all last season, and I can tell you that it is an awesome bullet. I shot deer and hogs with it an nothing took a step. The bullet has a very large hollow point cavity that has a super hard poly-carbonate tip inserted into it to fill the space. This allows the bullet to be longer while keeping the weight down. So, for example, a 250 grain PowerBelt AeroLite is the same lenght as a 295 grain PowerBelt Copper AT. This gives the bullet a better BC, increases velocity, and reduces drop. For sure, the AeroLite is the most accurate PowerBelt ever built. I and other CVA Pro Staff are getting clover leaf groups at 100 yards with this bullet. This design also makes it most effective at lower velocities (meaning "standard charge" velocities), therefore it is recommended for 100 grain and below propellant charges. With a magnum charge, and at close range, the bullet might be going to fast for the bullet design, which could cause too rapid expansion and bullet fragmentation. However, most hunters (at least east of the Mississippi) are shooting 100 grains anyway to avoid recoil. The PowerBelt AeroLite gives you "magnum-like" performance both in flight and on impact, without having to deal with the recoil of 150 grain charges. However, the key to this is not really the amount of powder you use, but rather the speed of the bullet on impact. So, CVA Pro Staffers have been using magnum charges out west with great results at LONG RANGES -- meaning 125 yards and beyond. The reason is that the bullet has time to slow at these longer distances -- so bullet performance would be the same as with less propellant at shorter ranges. The bullets are also best for deer size game (whitetails, muleys, and antelope). There are other PowerBelts that are better suited for the heavier stuff -- like the PowerBelt Platinum. You can get more info on the PowerBelt AeroLite at www.powerbeltbullets.com.

the r.o.c.

question...im using white hot pellets this year, i read on the bullet package a caution when using pellets. it said to make sure you had the bullet very snug, but dont crush the pellets. i think the combo will work as good as loose powder, any thoughts? roc

35 Whelen

From their website, www.powerbeltbullets.com:

Q. Do PowerBelt Bullets require any additional lubrication?

A. No. The special design of the bullet eliminates the use of lubes that can harden in the barrel and make follow up shots difficult. Adding lubrication can cause pressures to vary and fouling to increase.

F

FrontierGander

hey guys, i tested the 250gr Powerbelt Aerolite in new mexico earlier this week and will make a new post about the bullets hold up.

RipperIII

Here is my sight in target from this Saturday.
smokepolesightinsmallpaint.jpg

Windy conditions, 100yds.
First two holes off paper powerbelt 295 hollow points 100gr 777 RED CIRCLES
switched to powerbelt 270gr platinum aero point with 100gr 777 shot right hand side BLUE CIRCLE
Wind bent target, so I rotated target to it's current position shot left hand side BLUE CIRCLE.
Adjusted scope, then shot the clover leaf cluster in the center.
I don't know why folks don't like powerbelts

RipperIII

Amen to that. They literally fall apart in an animal. Better off with a TC bullet if you ask me.

I've only shot/killed one buck with my muzzleloader, used the powerbelt platinum 270's...left a "red carpet" trail 30yds dead as dead can be, round not recovered,...so what is the problem?:huh: