Non target trap question

Luv2Bowhnt

ok guys so I'm a complete rookie trapper....just getting my feet wet. I don't have a terrible coyote problem but I've started seeing more sign lately and hope to catch some to help our fawns. I only have 3 traps currently set and they've only been out a few days. My question and it may be a dumb one but is there any concern with catching a deer or a turkey in a leg hold trap?? My traps are MB 550's. I certainly hope that doesn't happen but I do know that where I have the traps currently located, there are deer and turkeys in the immediate area every day. Thanks guys and I hope to post a picture soon of my first catch.

Doug B.

You won't hold a deer in an MB 550. They will pull out after the first jump or two.

As soon as you make a good set, they will find a way to step all over it though.
That's for sure! I've had several step in my MB550's. When I get there though the trap is tripped and the chain is straight out with the empty trap on the end. The way a deer's foot is shaped they will pull right out. I have never caught a turkey, I would guess that would be very rare.

buckpasser

Turkey catching is a real concern. Pan tension should be high enough from the factory on a 550 to avoid most turkeys, but it CAN happen. As difficult as it is, I pass on spots that are loaded with turkey tracks. Don’t waste any time worrying about deer. I had a buck step on a 550 night before last, trip it, get out, then sniff it for about ten minutes trying to figure out what happened (cell cam).

I couldn’t tell what I had in a trap today on can so I went to it at lunch break and it was a gopher tortoise that had wallowed all over my set after morning check. He wasn’t caught, but I added another species to the pain in the butt list!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I had a friend caught a gobbler years ago . He said his leg was broken , he didn’t put it on a forum or Facebook . He made turkey nuggets out of him .

furtaker

Good info given here...I will also add that you OWE it to any critters to check traps EVERY morning.

It will be very hard for a coon, cat, fox, or possum to survive a full day in the sun waiting to be released.
Yep. I don't trap much this time of the year, but if and when I do make a few sets, I always make sure they are in the shade.

sportsman94

I had a friend caught a gobbler years ago . He said his leg was broken , he didn’t put it on a forum or Facebook . He made turkey nuggets out of him .

I had a friend catch a gobbler two years ago. Same thing. I’ve never done it, but don’t trap turkey rich properties.

As for the deer I would think a fawn could be a concern. Years ago I had a blind set on a barn wire fence crossing guarded with a Bridger #2. Came up one day to find an escaped goat from the neighboring farm buried in the trap and his accomplice by his side.

Attachments

• 285BCFF7-E94D-4885-93AD-4B0A38EF5B3C.jpeg
    285BCFF7-E94D-4885-93AD-4B0A38EF5B3C.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 25
  • E6DBE629-95D2-43A0-ADC5-60A82CB78D2E.jpeg
    E6DBE629-95D2-43A0-ADC5-60A82CB78D2E.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 25

Doug B.

I had a friend catch a gobbler two years ago. Same thing. I’ve never done it, but don’t trap turkey rich properties.

As for the deer I would think a fawn could be a concern. Years ago I had a blind set on a barn wire fence crossing guarded with a Bridger #2. Came up one day to find an escaped goat from the neighboring farm buried in the trap and his accomplice by his side.
That's pretty wild. Evidently a goat won't pull as hard as a deer. Also their feet are a little bigger at the hoof.

Catching a turkey may not be as rare as I thought. I don't really set any where turkeys spend their time. I have heard turkeys while I am checking traps fly down and yelp some, but they are usually across the road or deeper in the woods and don't hang out where I'm trapping.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

That’s funny , was he easy to release

sportsman94

That’s funny , was he easy to release

I got in touch with the farmer who’s goats they were. If I remember correctly, they had sold the pair a few days prior and they got out so they were happy to come get them. I just got to sit back and watch, but don’t remember anything too impressive happening with it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Goats feet aren’t slender like a deer so it’s not as easy for them to pull out