"older" Imperial 422 USA frontier fixed blade knife

Luke0927

My grandpa gave me a box with a lot of old case knifes and some other folders. There was this fixed blade in there with a nice sheath with that labeled as the title says. Sharpens up well and feels like a nice quality. Just wonder if this was common knife back 30+ years ago, Imperial was part of Schrade or bought out by them something along those lines right?

Appreciate it just seeing if anyone remembered this line or how the quality of them were back then.

It's this knife below

1_067c6c0b66c14faa6ceb92da0bd38a38.jpg

A knife from what was probably the best knives to carry the IMPERIAL brand name, from the time frame approx. 1975 to 1984. The Frontier (powderhorn logo) consisited of dozens of great old traditional paaterns: lockbacks, big folding hunters, stockman, ect, along with a nice bunch of fixed blades, like this one, pattered after the Loveless dropped hunter. I use one of these myself, this very model, to field dress at least one deer a year.
The 422 is the perfect size for whitetail hunting, with a length of 7 1/4" overall, with a very highly polished, quick-sharpening 3 3/16" carbon steel blade. (T was also a Frontier line called the Double-Eagle, with stainless steel blades). the pale yellow handle is solid delrin, just tough as - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -, affixed with three massive pins. Full tang construction, just a tough, functional knife. Included is a nice, original Imperial leather sheath.
These knives were made while Albert Baer ran the Imperial Associated Companies, which included Schrade, Imperial and Ulster. He also controlled Camillus, which is w these knives were made. Compare one of the wood handled Double-Eagles with the Camillus / Western Bowie or Boot knife, and it will all make sense to you.
Production of the Frontiers was ended once Mr Baer decided that the line was eating into the sales of caron steel Old Timers and Stainless Uncle Henrys. Too bad, some of us think the Imperials were the superior brand. Jim Parker bought a lot of these pale handled knives, co-branding them and adding some handle 'scrimshaw'.

source for picture/article

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-imperial-frontier-422-fixed-111260635