Opinions wanted....what say you?

Bigtimber

Would you say these quotes could be accurate?? I personally disagree with them and myself feel that no firearm or machine with moving parts can be made to be 100 percent reliable and failures can and do occur with all of them.

No gun of mine will ever misfire. I clean them.

I spent years disassembling and blueprinting all firearms in my control. They will fire 100% of the time the trigger is activated. I'm as sure of that as I am that water flows downhill.

Dbender

No, absolutely Impossible. You have to account for dirt and breakage. Can you improve from factory yes 100% reliable no way.

lonewolf247

Those questions are making very specific claims. Usually when I hear statements like "none of mine will ever", "that would never happen to me"," I am 100% sure" etc, etc. I really have to wonder, and question the source.

Especially, when it comes to things that are mechanical, and have moving parts. That's like saying, "my truck will never break down, my entire life, because I change the oil, and do all routine maintenance."

Anyhow to specifically address the topic:

No gun of mine will ever misfire. I clean them.

-If you take it exactly like it's worded, they are making a big assumption, that all ammo is perfect, and will never misfire! Secondly, mechanical parts can fail at any time. A broken firing pin would make this null and void, really quick.

I spent years disassembling and blueprinting all firearms in my control. They will fire 100% of the time the trigger is activated. I'm as sure of that as I am that water flows downhill.

-Same as above, components fail, and ammo will misfire, especially cheap .22 rimfire ammo.

I'm pretty good about cleaning and maintaining my firearms, and up to now, I haven't had a misfire, due to lack of cleaning. I have never had a centerfire rifle, or even centerfire ammo misfire either. However, I'm not going to make any claims saying things won't happen, even by my own fault. I hope they don't, and I try to prevent problems by inspecting and cleaning, but things happen, and mechanical parts fail. As far as .22lr ammo, I've had rounds not fire, that should have. Ammo is not 100%.

Anyhow, I disagree with the above statements. At least they way they are worded, and what they imply.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The best laid plans of mice and men.....

After the first shot the battle plan never works

Jim Baker

Staff member
Would you say these quotes could be accurate?? I personally disagree with them and myself feel that no firearm or machine with moving parts can be made to be 100 percent reliable and failures can and do occur with all of them.

They will fire until they quit. I have a .22 Browning Challenger III bought new in the box. Filled the mag and fired till empty. Reloaded the mag. put back in the box. Pulled it out 6 or 7 months later pulled it back to chamber a round. The slide wouldn't close the bolt. Took it to a friend that is a gunsmith. Nylon part in the action had degraded. He cleaned it, replaced part and fired a mag of ammo,12 or 13 rounds. Everything is good. 6 months later the same thing. It sits uselessly on the shelf in the gun safe.

Point being, if you are like me you have a couple of weapons with loaded mags ready to go. Yet, you really don't know if they will fire on demand or jam on the second pull of the trigger.

zedex

Gator Bait
If it has more than 1 moving part, something will certainly fail at some point.

Most mis- or delay- fires are the fault of the ammo. I maintain my guns with a passion.
I've had a misfire with my 270 and 303british-- one misfire each.
None(yet) with the 45-70.
And with my 10-22, using browning ammo, I can count on at least one in 10 a misfire. With CCI, I've had a couple delay fires and an average of 1-2 misfires per 50.
My SKS is reliable on Russian ammo.
No one can say with 100% certainty a gun will fire every time

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
You can make those statements, backing them up is the hard part!!

georgia357

Could be true if he doesn't shoot them. I have a 30 year old Browning shotgun that hasn't misfired, failed to feed/eject or had the first trouble. But then I've never fired it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

Ranks in the top 5 of stupid statements ever made. If it is man made. it can, and will fail. Period. Anyone who would say their gun is 100% failure free just isn't living in reality.

marthaj

the most fool proof machine ever made is the anvil,,,,,fewest moving parts.
that being said ,, every gun will screw up sooner or later if you shoot it enough.

Lindseys Grandpa

I have had firing pins break , extractors break both of these happened right before deer season. I have bought 2 brand new guns that would not shoot out of box. One because the factory put the wrong firing pin in weapon and the other one they marked ad installed the wrong barrel on the weapon it would not even chamber a round. This by a manufacture who advertised they test fire ever weapon and put a expended cartridge in the box for proof.