Panning For Gold

Jester896

Senior Clown
thought I would run through this pan since the Dillion it firing up today. At first I thought it was just a good mix. Right close to a 1/2 full bus pan.
Gold.jpg
turned out to be a little more than 1/3 5 gal bucket full
Gold1.jpg

got a little gold and silver left to mine when I get back.

Gold2.jpg

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I need to do the same.....have mixed brass from last few range trips.....my own and op’s.

Gotta get out in the garage and do some sorting.

Mexican Squealer

Question: Does reloading save considerable cost on ammo? I know nothing about it and would like to...I’m burning through 5.56 like it’s going out of style.

Gator89

Question: Does reloading save considerable cost on ammo? I know nothing about it and would like to...I’m burning through 5.56 like it’s going out of style.

I spent close to $1k before loading my first round. Dillon 550, scales, workbench, calipers, powder, projectiles, primers, vibratory cleaner, cleaning media, reloading book, and probably some other stuff. Plus your time, it takes time to reload ammo. Sorting and cleaning brass. Rifle brass takes more case prep time than pistol.

You don't save a lot on 9mm or even 223, but you cannot afford to shoot much 45 colt, 44 special and many others if you don't reload.

You don't save money, but you can shoot more.

Plus, you can customize ammo for your guns.

BriarPatch99

Price your current ammo per cartridge ...

Then use this calculator to see how much it cost to reload a cartridge ...

Then see how long it would take to pay off a reloading setup ... there are some reasonable reloading units out there ...you don't need a $1000 press the save money ...But if you are one those folks who have to have it quick and now ....it is gonna cost you some $$$$.

I have an old Bonanza Co-Ax press that I would only guess at the tens of thousands rounds it has loaded .... Time is not a factor in my reloading ...because I enjoy the process and is relaxing to me ....

https://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

BriarPatch99

Price your current factory ammo per cartridge ... My .243 Win is $1.75 Barnes 80grain TTSX...
Using this reloading calculator ....https://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/ .... Your can figure the cost to reload your own ammo.

My current cost to load the same ammo as the $1.75 ($35 /box)Barnes is ..... $0.48 ($9.60/box) ....that is $1.27 per cartridge that can go toward paying for a reloading outfit...

Gator89

A Rock Chucker is pretty basic, Bass Pro sells them for $189 plus tax.

Then you have to buy shell holders, dies, a powder measuring system of some sort.

Barring a gift from someone, start up for most folks will be well north of $500.

Here is a Dillon 550 set up to load a caliber of your choice for $509. You still need scales, calipers, etc.

https://www.bobcatarmament.com/dillon-precision-dillon-rl550c.html

Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

If you ain't saving money reloading 9mm or 223 then you need to evaluate where you get supplies from, 50 9mm reloads cost me less than $3 with hard casts or pulls, 20 rds of 223 costs about the same as well with pulled bullets. A Lee cast turret would take care of most loads and would be $100.

Gator89

With the cost of components I have on hand, 9mm is about 9 cents per round, $4.50 per 50. 45 ACP is about 13 cents per round, $6.50 per 50.

I doubt I could replace my stock of powder, primers and projectiles at those prices.

Prior to the 'Rona, 9mm was low enough to not worry about reloading it.

Where I really make hay is on 44 special and 45 Colt at 15 cents per round vs 75 cents or more per round.

Reloading is fun, relaxing and satisfying.

My presses are a long term investment that

Jester896

Senior Clown
Prior to the 'Rona, 9mm was low enough to not worry about reloading it.

Where I really make hay is on 44 special and 45 Colt at 15 cents per round vs 75 cents or more per round.

so true...if you were careful you could get bulk packs of 115gr for $169.99-$179.99 shipped. Where I will save is if I need to load up !k to shoot while the prices are at $459.99.

I found a few boxes of 44 spc new in the baox I forgot I had when I was checking primer inventory. If my .45ACP was sp I would be set

Jester896

Senior Clown
A few picks from today...my buddy had to get a new cement mixer :D

IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg

I think this is about the point where the shell plate broke...good thing he had another on hand.

IMG_0519.jpg

just washed the lube of really...I'll clean them in SS media later

IMG_0520.jpg
sun should dry those fine today

transfixer

If I were just getting into it today I would have to seriously think about it due to the cost of acquiring everything needed, now that being said you could set up to do just one caliber without breaking the bank, a single stage press doesn't cost that much, but to do volume reloading you would need a Dillon , and those aren't cheap.

What I have is what my Dad and I accumulated ever since I was about 20yrs old, I only have a rcbs rockchucker and a lyman turret single stage, loaded up 50 .300bo rounds last night, plan on doing another 100 today,

Just getting into it now finding components will be a problem, I went to order more 125gr sst projectiles last night and discovered everyone is out of stock on them, and most other common expanding bullets in that grain also. lot of other various projectiles were out of stock as well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I opened my primer cabinet yesterday to see where I stood and I was surprised that I didn't have more large pistol primers...whole thing is bare kinda...I hope this doesn't create a problem for me...suddenly wishing a had a pile of sp .45ACP brass :D

IMG_0515.jpg

bullgator

You don’t save money......you shoot a lot more fore the same price.
If you don’t make a chore of it, it can also be an enjoyable shooting related hobby.

sleepr71

I think that you would save the most money if you shoot a LOT,or want large volumes of premium hunting ammo. Obscure/oddball calibers & such are another sound reason,as you don’t have to scrounge for ammo! Now just isn’t the time to get into it....

Nimrod71

I have been reloading since 1970 and I really enjoy it. In fact I like to reload as much as I like to shoot. You want save money loading blasting ammo, but if you want the good stuff you will save. A 100 rd. box of Premium rifle or pistol bullets can be bought for around $35, primers say $5 a 100 and 1 lb. of powder at $38 will load 127 at 55 gr. This gives you premium rifle at 70 cent each, a box at $14. This is a savings of at least $20. Hand gun ammo would have even larger savings if you load good Home Defense rounds. Reloading will also make you more self sufficient and you will be able to have ammo when the stores are out. If funding was a point I would look for used equipment, talk with people at gun stores and you can run up on deals. Most reloaders have extra equipment they would be willing to sale or even give away. Good Luck.