PCB Tips

gunnurse

Going to PCB at the end of the week. I’ve never really caught anything to speak of off a pier. What am I doing wrong? Any tips, baits, techniques are appreciated either public or PM.

Also, there has been much info read on the red tide. Is it bad in PCB right now?

The best i’ve ever done is when I downsized my leader and hook. 20lb floro and small strong hook. Fresh shrimp are hard to beat. Depending on what you want to catch.

gunnurse

Thank you.

Limitless

A lot of Whiting, Ladyfish, and small sharks. Pompano are running, but a majority of the catches have been undersized. Some Redfish cruising the beach, if you're lucky you can catch one or sight fish for them with gold casting spoons. For whiting use squid or Fish Bites. Rule of thumb is if your keep hitting Ladyfish or hardtails its best to move instead of trying different bait.

If you fish the pier up closer to the shoreline you're going to be catching Whiting, small Pompano and Ladyfish mostly.

. White jigs, cut squid, and take a sabiki on another rod and reel to jig live bait. Go by Half Hitch Tackle on Thomas drive and they will give you the latest info and help with bait.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be down the rest of the week myself. This is normally the time to fish the piers, but the red tide and very warm weather isn't helping the cause, from what I have been hearing.

My main target this time of year are king macks. Your basic king rig is a #2 treble, 12-18" wire, and a small swivel. Attach all that to a reel capable of holding plenty of line. I prefer 15lb. Frozen cigar minnows are probably the most used bait, but anytime you can sabiki live bait around the pier, do it. You will drift/snobble these off the end of the pier with the wind/current. Another good choice is throwing X-raps. The same wire rig will work well on big spanish, as will the X-rap. If there are a lot of spanish, I will sometimes size down to a #4 treble.

Word of warning. Before you attempt any fishing off the end, go and watch. It is a bit of a dance of sorts and not something you want to step straight into. Ask questions of those out there, as most are willing to help.

If you are wanting to target spanish, you have a number of options. Gotcha plugs are hard to beat at times. I keep a variety of sizes and colors handy, as they sometimes get picky. Most people use a wire leader, but I prefer a 12" section of 30-50 lb fluorocarbon. I use a uni-uni connection and stay away from a swivel. Spanish are bad about picking the swivel out and cutting you off. A bubble rig is probably the second most popular rig. You can look online for more about them, but basically it is a clear plastic bubble you fill with water. It is followed by a length of leader and a bait of your choosing. Most often a straw rig, small clark spoon, or small clouser fly.

Another good option this time of year are redfish in the shallows. They will get around the pilings in rather large schools at times. A Carolina rig works well with live or cut bait.

tvillenole

We were down a couple weeks ago planning on staying for 3 days. Red tide was pretty bad then. Got in on Friday night and drove back home Saturday morning.

bany

A week or so ago the red tide wasn’t getting any better and a bit worse east of P.C. hot too! water temp seemed to getting some cool spots though. Good luck

burtontrout

I will be down there at the end of this week. Taking the kids to the park and was going to fish the jetties.

gunnurse

Thanks, all!

seachaser

I'm down here in Panama City and for the last 2 morning I have be killing the trout and redfish wade fishing. This morning from 5 to 7 am it was wide open caught at least 25 trout and 3 reds.

twtabb

We have been fishing the bay with out much luck. Water is still stained and a very few dead fish around.
Glad you are having some luck on beach side.

seachaser

Went again this morning and was slower but still a good bite. Trout redfish but was much more work all fish have been caught on mirrordines and make sure there is some red in the color.

gunnurse

Thank you.