pex inside pvc?

hipster dufus

dumb question maybe a plumber can ansewer. i have a 1 inch water line from the meter to my house. pvc. is it possible to run a pex line thru it to the house?

tr21

can I ask why inside rather than just replace it ?

Dbender

If it doesn't have any turns. Why not just slice in a piece of pex? You aren't going to be happy with the results if you downsize your pipe.

tr21

honestly you will lose lots of volume because you will need to drop down to 3/4 in pex, your going to drop almost 1/2 of your volume and 1in is what you need for house supply line

tr21

just a fyi pvc is measured by the inside diameter, so 1in pvc has a 1in opening. pex is measured by inside dia. so 1in. pex has a .875 opening. theres no way you will fit 1in pex inside 1in pvc, it might go in about 1/2in and that's it. so you'll need to drop down to 3/4in and it'll still be a pain, but your inside dia. will be only around .625. just dig up the pvc and replace it. I will say pex is the cats meow.

ucfireman

I'm on a well now, 1 inch line coming in. All is fine
I have a meter at the road, about 1100 ft and 20-30 ft elevation rise.
I have thought about running a line from it to the house. What would y'all say the minimum size would be? Would like to t off in 3 places for water spigots and 1 for the barn/bathroom. I have been told 1.5 would be best?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I'm on a well now, 1 inch line coming in. All is fine
I have a meter at the road, about 1100 ft and 20-30 ft elevation rise.
I have thought about running a line from it to the house. What would y'all say the minimum size would be? Would like to t off in 3 places for water spigots and 1 for the barn/bathroom. I have been told 1.5 would be best?

in a 1 inch pvc pipe, flowing 10 gallons a minute, you will lose 2.6psi per 100 ft. or 28.6 psi. This doesn't allow for any ells or valves in the line.

in a 1-1/4 you will lose .7 psi per 100 ft of line, or 7.7psi, again with no valves or ells

in a 1-1/2 you will lose .3 psi per 100 ft of line, or 3.3psi.

In an average valve, you will lose around 2psi. in ells and tees, you figure the loss as feet of run in pipe size... you would add on average 6 to 7 feet of pipe run per fitting.

so if you put in 10 ells and tee, you would add 70 ft of run to figure your pressure drop

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
with those pressure drops, and thinking that 10gpm is a lot of water... I wouldn't run more than a 1-1/4.. Unless the 1-1/2 pipe and fittings are about the same price.

ucfireman

Sound good, I could have done the math but I have found in the past my calculations are wrong.
Thanks for the info!!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Sound good, I could have done the math but I have found in the past my calculations are wrong.
Thanks for the info!!

Couldn’t you just consult with your County Water Authority and their recommendation? They have engineers available.

Bob Shaw

I had a water line break under the slab at my house, and it was going to cost thousands to replace. I ran Pex inside the 1" line to the back bathroom and it worked great! I can't tell the difference in volume or pressure, of course the shower, sink and toilet all reduce down to smaller size anyway. I think it only cost about $80 for a roll of flexible PEX. An old plumber friend of mine in Florida recommended the PIX fix, and it saved me thousands.