Picture of a gar I cleaned

the Lackster

Boneless Gar Backstrap…hmm..I’ll have to give this a try! I may do one backstrap fried & the other sautéed like Scallops? Sounds like the key is not to Cook it too long. Any of you willing to share your favorite recipes/methods/Cooking times?
It's hard to beat just plain old fried gar nuggets. About the closest thing you can eat to fried alligator tail.

the Lackster

Gator tail huh? Interesting. What kind of Oil was it fried in? I’m guessing Peanut.
I'm normally frying in vegetable oil. I rarely get over 400 so I can get by with vegetable just have to keep an eye on it. Peanut oil would definitely be an excellent option though.

I cut the loins into little nugget size pieces, roll them in seasoned cornmeal and fry them nice and golden brown. Take them out of the grease and serve them with a good remoulade sauce "generic recipe below" and your good to go!!
Screenshot_20210910-120732_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210910-121646_Chrome.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Boneless Gar Backstrap…hmm..I’ll have to give this a try! I may do one backstrap fried & the other sautéed like Scallops? Sounds like the key is not to Cook it too long. Any of you willing to share your favorite recipes/methods/Cooking times?
They're also good to blacken. Brush one side with melted butter, hit it heavy with Creole seasoning, and flop it in a hot pan. Put the butter and seasoning on the other side while the first side is cooking. Don't overcook it.

the Lackster

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll definitely put this on my to try list! I’m sitting here shaking my head…thinking about how many 3-4 ft long Gar I’ve thrown back over the years :hammers: ?
The first time you have gar cleaned and cooked properly, you will immediately regret every one that you have thrown back...

GTMODawg

BANNED
Gar is delicious. I know a woman who skins them and fillets them and then scraps them with a plastic trowel, breaking the meat down and removing the gristle. The meet is then used to make patties like salmon patties but far better. More like a crab cake....very good.