Pine Log WMA Is History After DNR Leased It 46 Years

Big7

The Oracle
Guess the family is getting older and the kidos want to cash out. DNR equipment removed and Rangers reassigned.

"The state’s final bid was rejected by the landowners, who ultimately countered with an offer of two times the appraised value. A representative for the family said in press reports that the family has received more than 20 offers from developers, and those offers were greater than what DNR offered. The family believes it could get as much as $30 million more than the amount DNR offered if sold for residential and commercial development."

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
The state had 4 decades to buy it. I'm sure plenty of people screamed "muh tax dollars" whenever it came to buying land for public use. Georgia state owned land will be razed via logging and/or sold to the highest bidder. VPA land will probably be developed with the influx of new residents. It will make a real nice golf course and sea of condos though.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The state had 4 decades to buy it. I'm sure plenty of people screamed "muh tax dollars" whenever it came to buying land for public use. Georgia state owned land will be razed via logging and/or sold to the highest bidder. VPA land will probably be developed with the influx of new residents. It will make a real nice golf course and sea of condos though.
Your title fits you well. As a local resident I know that’s all a bunch of yankee crap. Holy hades was raised including meetings, petitions and as much political clout as could be summoned. Money talks and the people lost on this one. My property value will diminish from the traffic and roadway development alone to support this mess which the public will pay for.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Money talks.
Just like the the Golf Resort being built in Taylor County. Who would have ever thought that someone would want to build a Exclusive Golf Resort in Taylor County?

Jim Boyd

We can whine and gnash teeth if we like.

Supply and demand.

No more and no less.

Shame for the families that know and have used the land, however.

Think for a moment. If you owned it, what would you have done?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Most would do what I did.

I sold my Taylor County property (it was across the road from the soon to be Golf Resort) for a huge profit and bought new land somewhere else that is even more rural.

Editted to add...This was not family land. I would never sell land that had been in my family for generations.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We can whine and gnash teeth if we like.

Supply and demand.

No more and no less.

Shame for the families that know and have used the land, however.

I would go broke and starve before I sold family land to a real estate developer. I would put it in a conservation easement. They make more money every day. They don't make more land. Real estate developers are right up there with Satan in my book. I have watched them spend my lifetime destroying one of the most beautiful places on this planet, so that somebody who already has a million dollars can have two million dollars. I hope they all burn in an extra-hot corner of Hades. Is that clear enough?

Waddams

Just a thought - the owners have a right to make their choice. The rest of us and the government shouldn't (and couldn't/didn't in this case) be able to make the owners do what they don't want to. That's Liberty in action.

I don't like their choice, I wish DNR got it and I wish they felt like we do and valued it like it is for more than big development $$$. But I respect their Liberty to make their choices.

I don't want a world where everyone else can ride roughshod over anyone's Liberty to do what they want their own property.

lampern

They wanted the money

Lots of people moving to Georgia hence more development

Here in NC we lost a couple WMAs/game lands to developers in recent years

Last edited:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I would go broke and starve before I sold family land to a real estate developer. I would put it in a conservation easement. They make more money every day. They don't make more land. Real estate developers are right up there with Satan in my book. I have watched them spend my lifetime destroying one of the most beautiful places on this planet, so that somebody who already has a million dollars can have two million dollars. I hope they all burn in an extra-hot corner of Hades. Is that clear enough?
He thinks everybody has a price and deep down every wants to be bougie. Lots do. Some of us absolutely do not.

furtaker

Money talks.
Just like the the Golf Resort being built in Taylor County. Who would have ever thought that someone would want to build a Exclusive Golf Resort in Taylor County?
Reminds me of that stupid Rivian electric vehicle plant that's going on 2000 acres of rural land in middle Georgia.

Georgia is being turned into California all in the name of money, progress, and jobs.

It's amazing what greed does to people.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Reminds me of that stupid Rivian electric vehicle plant that's going on 2000 acres of rural land in middle Georgia.

Georgia is being turned into California all in the name of money, progress, and jobs.

And lots of folks on this board love it and think you’re an idiot if you don’t love it with them. But hey, once this state is totally ruined, there will lots of shopping, and “great little restaurants” where yuppies from up north and the west coast come to eat “Southern” food prepared by hipster doofuses from the up north or the west coast. Man it will be so awesome. Our culture will be obliterated but think of all the money some people will make.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

Where is that? I haven't heard of this.
Jack Links is building a plant near Perry. This area is growing up to much for my tastes, thats why we are moving to Alabama.

furtaker

And lots of folks on this board love it and think you’re an idiot if you don’t love it with them. But hey, once this state is totally ruined, there will lots of shopping, and “great little restaurants” where yuppies from up north and the west coast come to eat “Southern” food prepared by hipster doofuses from the up north or the west coast. Man it will be so awesome. Our culture will be obliterated but think of all the money some people will make.
Yeah. Well, look on the bright side. 60% of the state is turning into big nice houses with the next door neighbors 15 feet away. But they have a big house and can take their high dollar pontoons and bass boats to the lake on the weekend and brag on their success. While the poor wildlife don't have anywhere else to go.

Living the dream!