Planting Bermuda

flintdiver

I have a large sunny area, it has been worked over with a bobcat and graded /smoothed pretty well. I raked up as many rocks and roots as I could. I spread Bermuda seed (Vigoro brand) and starter fertilizer. Since I put it down the ground is hard as a rock from no rain. It's too far from my house to water with a sprinkler. Do you think it will come up or will it just wash with the first good rain ? Any other ideas to save my seed ?

hevishot

Banned
did you put some wheat straw on top of it? It will aid in keeping it from washing and also retain moisture to help it get started...good luck with it and pray for rain bud....

flintdiver

Joe, no I didn't straw it. It's kind of a big area. Know of any place to get straw close to us ? Andy's ? He seems kind of high $.

hevishot

Banned
hmmm..not sure right off hand..best deal would probably come out of the Market Bulletin..other than that, maybe a wholesale landscape place???

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
You will be lucky if it does. That stuff needs water...

rjcruiser

Depending on the size of your area, sod might be the best bet. I re-did my backyard a couple of years ago, about 5000 sq feet. Not the best soil, seeded, put down starter fertilizer, used the mesh mats to keep the seed in place etc etc. All in all put about $400 into it. It came up great in some areas and 3 years later, still have some bare spots and some that aren't that thick.

When I look back at it, I wish I would have spent the $700-$800 and gotten 10 pallets of sod. Would have been instant and would be much thicker. If you want seed to work, you've gotta have good soil and good water.

dixie

You will be lucky if it does. That stuff needs water...

Yep, if you don't want to straw, I'd wait til theres a fair chance of rain in the forecast and reseed/overseed lightly, those are very small seed and the rain should set them in and germinate them for you

Swede

Depending on the size of your area, sod might be the best bet. I re-did my backyard a couple of years ago, about 5000 sq feet. Not the best soil, seeded, put down starter fertilizer, used the mesh mats to keep the seed in place etc etc. All in all put about $400 into it. It came up great in some areas and 3 years later, still have some bare spots and some that aren't that thick.

When I look back at it, I wish I would have spent the $700-$800 and gotten 10 pallets of sod. Would have been instant and would be much thicker. If you want seed to work, you've gotta have good soil and good water.

10 pallets for $7-800?? Stuff I bought last year was $200 a pallet.

If you did not keep the seeds moist they probably won't come up. You could try plugs. It will take a couple years to fill in though.

rjcruiser

If you did not keep the seeds moist they probably won't come up. You could try plugs. It will take a couple years to fill in though.

I bought it from a sod company that had a store front in Covington, well, just south of Covington on hwy 81. Can't recall exactly, but I think it was $75 for a pallet of Bermuda. That didn't include delivery (I picked it up myself) nor installation (I installed it myself) but it was 500 or so sq. feet on the pallet.

$200 sounds like the delivered and installed price.

Swede

I bought it from a sod company that had a store front in Covington, well, just south of Covington on hwy 81. Can't recall exactly, but I think it was $75 for a pallet of Bermuda. That didn't include delivery (I picked it up myself) nor installation (I installed it myself) but it was 500 or so sq. feet on the pallet.

$200 sounds like the delivered and installed price.

I picked up also, along with a couple of mexicans. Sounds like I got ripped. What's this place called?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

Bermuda Grass? You got ripped :hair: ....I didn't even pay that much for centipede grass per pallet.

rjcruiser

I picked up also, along with a couple of mexicans. Sounds like I got ripped. What's this place called?

Actually, the place is no longer in business....atleast at that location. I drove by the store front and it was closed. Think the name used to be A-1 Sod based out of Griffin.

Derek

I paid $160/pallet a few yrs ago for my Zoysia....Bermuda is still around $80-$100 per pallet.

duke13

If you seeded, be patient. I wouldn't do the wheat straw. A very light coat of pine straw is better. Very thin so you can see the ground through it. Being darker it will keep the soil warmer, bermuda likes heat. Water will help.

GoldDot40

A VERY good tip when seeding bermuda: Mix it with sand when you put it out. It really helps even out the distribution and helps 'cover' the seeds. Then go back with hay/straw and a lot of watering and patience. 1st, get a sample of your soil tested for pH levels to see if it's lacking anything. It may or may not need some lime to even things out to make for a more ideal place to grow. My 2 acre yard is 40% bermuda and it stays dormant up until about this time of year. Mine is really starting to get nice and green right now and has the 'carpet' look to it. Once it takes root and matures it survives really well in little to NO shade conditions. Planting Zoysia plugs is something I'm really considering for the 60% of the yard that is fescue and weeds.

heavychevy

Bermuda

Bermuda is going any where from 85 - 100 per pallet. If you are interested I own a sod company would be happy to answer any questions. As far as the seeding goes, well thats one reason SOD was developed, instant yard! The problem you face is the water issue. Let me know

Kyle

flintdiver

Thanks guy's , I did pull about 250' -300' of hose out there over the weekend and have been moving sprinklers ever since. We'll see.

56willysnut

Be patient, it took mine about three weeks of keeping the ground moist and then it finally came up now most of it looks like a real lawn. Last weekend I caught the bermuda grass clippings(it has the seed tops on it) from my neighbors yard and spread it out on the areas needing more. maybe with some more rain the seeds from that will kick in.