Please help!! need crossbow info

GCO

I'm in the market for a new crossbow and don't no what I want. I been looking at the Barnet ghost serious. Does anyone have experience with these. Are the bulky or compact? I want a good fast crossbow I can hunt with out a climber that is not to big. Thanks

revrandyf

You might want to look at the Excalibur series. I bought a Matrix 355 last year and absolutely love it. Simple, smaller than most...I usually hunt from a ground blind and this serves me well. JAS....

tjwolfe

I have a ghost 400 and love it. Its my first xbow so really don't have anything to compare it to but they are smoking fast.

chefrific

You might want to look at the Excalibur series. I bought a Matrix 355 last year and absolutely love it. Simple, smaller than most...I usually hunt from a ground blind and this serves me well. JAS....

x2
I started with the Excalibur Vortex and now have the new Micro.
Can't beat an Excalibur.

shdw633

I hunt with my Barnett Raptor out a climber all of the time and love it, very compact and light. Great speed and only spent about $350 for it. Killed a doe on opening day with it at 25 yards, bolt went through her like she wasn't even there and she dropped about 50 yards away.

Havana Dude

I too am on my first Xbow, about a month now. I went with the Barnett Brotherhood. 165lbs pull, 355 fps. It was deadly accurate right out of the box. Had to put it together, first shot 1" high at 10 yds. Same pin is dead on out to 32 yds. Small adjustment left /right, and I am good. Even though it is my first xbow, it feels light to me and seems compact enough. Not sure how it could be dramatically more compact. Hope this helps.

littlenorth

I have the Barnett Ghost 410. If you decide on this series, check it over very carefully to make sure it is assembled properly (no missing limb pockets, and the cable lies one above the other and not wrapped around each other). Check the "J" section where the cables enter the riser to make sure the Teflon strip is installed on the upper part of the "J" section. The purpose of this strip is to prevent the cables from wearing and also wearing the plastic J section. Check axle to axle measurements. If possible, shoot through a chronograph, checking for speed. The 22" Barnett HeadHunter arrows that come with the crossbow weigh 432 grains including the point. Based on 400 grain arrow the crossbow should shoot 410 feet per second. For every 10 grains over, one loses 3 feet per second. In this case your crossbow should chronograph 399 to 400 feet per second (432 grain-400 grain=32 grain divide by 3 feet per second=10 feet per second loss). Check cam timing and also when in the fully cocked position, lay and arrow on each cam facing the rail. The points should match. High or low the yoke will have to be adjusted to correct. Keep the string and cables well lubricated. If any serving separation shows, swap out the cables and string to 60X which are very high quality. All the best.

dan229

I had a PSE Fang as my first crossbow and at first I thought it was pretty decent but it turned out to be total junk. I took it back to Bass Pro and got an Excalibur. I sure wish I had gone with the Excalibur first. Life time warranty and plenty fast for me. I did have to get the cranking cocker as it was stout to cock with the pull rope cocker. I've learned my lesson, get good quality the first time. That junk PSE costs me an 8 pt and a waisted vacation day. Both limbs on the Fang broke while I was sitting in the stand...