Primos can?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Yeah Mark,
The "hey I'm over here" works lights out when all the foliage is still on. Ive called many a deer in with it.

Mark K

Banned
And it’s not what I would consider a grunt really. More of just putting your lips tight together and blowing through them. Does and fawns do it all the time it seems. The younger bucks will hear it and respond as well.
I did that and some light rattling last week and called in a small 6 and then a smaller 4pt. Nothing aggressive, just a hey dude check out my new antlers, mine are better than yours, type of rattling.
I’ll throw this in as well...some bucks are lovers and some are fighters. And it doesn’t seem to matter what’s on top of their head. Some big deer turn the other way at aggressive grunts and rattling...and some will run you over to get to it. They all are a little different.

Bubba_1122

Not sure if grunts or rattling make a difference but if not it's a nice coincidence how many bucks I see not long after a rattling sequence pre-rut and rut.

I use natural antlers (rather than wood in rattling bags or plastic antlers - but I don't know if it matters).

Primos can? I've had them and used them for years. Does it make a difference? I don't know.

I use it sparingly (but I don't let it sound off by flipping it over. I blow into the bottom of the call (a gentler and shorter sound that I have more control over)).

YMMV

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I learned it from a moma calling to her fawn. The fawn was on the other side of a fence row.

buckpasser

Maybe the deer I hunt are different or maybe I’m in the woods more than most but deer are very vocal if you realize what you’re hearing.
It’s not just grunts and snort wheezes either. I’ll generally hear does with fawns long before I see them. Even young bucks talk quite a bit. The big boys tend to talk while still in bachelor groups and then again more during the rut.
I will agree that most calls don’t replicate how deer actually sound, but just like turkeys, they will respond to different sounds at different times of the year. I’ve already rattled and grunted in several young bucks and even grunted in a few does. These aren't long drawn out grunts, just what I call walking grunts or hey I’m over here grunts...and actually “grunts” wouldn’t even be the right word. You learn a lot “farming” deer and not shooting everything that walks...including the big boys.

I agree. It always amazes me when people post that they have never or rarely have heard deer vocalize. I don’t hate on deer calling done right. Most deer on my wall were “spoken to” shortly before they were lead poisoned. Still, I have never heard a “can” call from a deer. Not even once. Besides a fawn, I’ve never heard that high pitch sound uttered from a deer. A calf, yes. All the time.

Sixes

Deer vary by area. I've hunted our family land in Cherokee for 35+ years and I have heard grunts on 2 occasions, I have heard does call to fawns and fawns call to does a few times, but that is all.

I've hunted in Troup since '96 and we used to joke about hearing them as much as seeing them. They are the most vocal deer that I have ever hunted. They grunt, mew, baa, roar all fall. Young bucks seem to "ticK" with every step they take during rutting times.

I've hunted a farm in Laurens/Bleckley for the last 9 years and they respond better to calling than any deer I have hunted. A snort wheeze call works well on that farm, but there are a lot of bucks in competition for the does there. I've called bucks across wide open clearcuts from 300+ yards and had them come straight to the stand

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
On them tv shows in the Midwest they cal in deer like we call turkeys

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Wayne D Davis

I've used the primos can and had doe respond maybe 5 times in many many years. It started sounding like a dying bull frog so I tossed it and never replaced it. I'll use a grunt tube if I can already see deer to stop them or get them headed my way. That has rarely worked either. I'm more of a cover or rut sent hunter than a calling hunter. During rut I use tinks69. Firm believer in that stuff. And running scrape dippers all the time. I'm also a new fan of evercalm.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Sixes ive had the same experinces.

The deer ive hunted in kentucky respond to calling much better than here at home. They have a lot better buck to doe ratio than we do. I think its a major factor in calling effectiveness.

sowgabuckstalker

Like someone mentioned above, I use my can by blowing in the hole in the bottom, sounds pretty good and you can control it to make different sounds like in the live vide Jim posted. Great video by the way.

One of the coolest things ive ever experienced w/ a call was last year. I hunting a fence row of adjoining property our our neighbors which at time was a peanut field freshly picked. It is in the peek of the run and I see about 3-400 yards way in the corner of peanut filed 6 does and 4 bucks all chasing and just having a good time. 2 of the bucks were shooters, one def was. I hit a loud down estrus bleat with my primos buck roar and a few loud grunts, they hear me and come in on a string, all of them, even the does. They were chasing and just raising heck all up under me, i could never get a shoot on either shooter, THEY WERE MOVING bobbing and weaving out and in the pines I was in, it was awesome. They eventually vanished, so I hit another bleat w/ the buck roar again and a 3.5 year old 8 point that was w/ them came in on a string, I couldnt help but to take him and did. One of, if not the, most exciting hunts ive ever been on.

alwayslookin

The only time I heard a deer make that bleat call was one I shot while bow hunting that got tangled in a fence for a minute and bleated before it took off.

I haven't had much luck with it calling deer in..tried it on a cruising buck this season and I didn't see it react but visibility was also limited.

BAMA HUNTER

Here is the thing with the Can. It's not loud. You are not going to have a deer hear it as far off as other calls. I only use it on bucks that I can see and I want them closer. I have called in several with the can.