Pruning pear trees

bhouston

Triple C - I had the same problem this year with TOO MUCH fruit on the trees and branches that werent ready for it. Not much you can do to avoid that other than picking/cutting/knocking some of the fruit off to lighten the load. I have broken branches and permanently bent over branches from the excessive fruit.

glynr329

I am going to pick up my Callaway crab apple trees this morning. I will see if he brought more than I am getting. I will post to let you know

Shaping is what you are initially doing when the tree is young prior to fruit production.
Pruning is a later activity.
If you prune too much you can do two unhelpful things: 1) lose fruiting buds & 2) stimulate the tree for vegetative growth not fruitful growth!
Sunlight, air circulation and building a stronger tree are what you are trying to do.
Came across an old quote " You should be able to throw a hat thru a properly pruned apple tree"!
Also, prune back to an outward facing bud to keep the tree 'opening' up with any new growth, then next time again prune back to an outside bud.
Unproductive vegetative growth can also be brought about by excessive fertilization (nitrogen), so more is not necessarily better.

glynr329

Here are the Callaway crabapple trees. If anyone needs info where to get them let me know. Had a guy bring them to Jefferson flea market. 2 for 25.00

Attachments

• 4E26DA5F-E48D-42E5-83C0-4F38F836F597.jpeg
    4E26DA5F-E48D-42E5-83C0-4F38F836F597.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 21