Question for the guys over 65

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
When did you sign up for your Medicare supplemental policies. Can you wait until a few months before your 65th birthday or is there a set enrollment period?

BassRaider

Been a couple of years but I think you can sign up 3 mo before 65. Have fun with all the mailings you will receive.
btw, my insurance went from $860 mo to $150 mo (health, dental, vision) + $134 for Medicare.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I know you have to sign up for part B 3 months before your birthday. The supplementals are private insurance so their sign ups may vary from carrier to carrier. Our supplemental is FEHB so it just carried on.

You are going to get bombarded with mailings and phone calls offering supplemental and MC Advantage plans. If you have H/C ins. now I would contact that carrier and see what they offer.

JackSprat

If you don't sign up by your birthday, you will be penalized with 6 mos. of no coverage,

Important thing to remember is that all of the plans, A, d, C, and so on are the same for each insurer. Premiums vary greatly. But no difference in the coverage.

There are a lot of Medicare counselors around - Council on Aging, some churches, that sort of thing. One helped me out a lot sorting through the different plans.

Killdee

I just read if your already drawing your social security you will be automatically enrolled. My wife’s insurance covers me now so I need to figure out what I need to do also.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I just read if your already drawing your social security you will be automatically enrolled. My wife’s insurance covers me now so I need to figure out what I need to do also.

You are automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A (hospital care) at age 65 whether you are drawing SS or not. You are not automatically enrolled in part B (doctor care) or Part D (prescription coverage) or any supplemental insurance.

If your wife's insurance is like mine it will become your supplement coverage separate from Medicare. Best to talk with her HR department about how it will cover you after you are enrolled in Medicare.

j_seph

From dealing with things for my dad who is 87. Choose your supplemental wisely, look for possible issues you may face at 70 or 80 years old and find something that will handle that. If you can find one that helps or provides rehab and physical therapy grab it. Never know when you may have a stroke or something. The rehab after will be based on what your insurance will allow or how deep your pocket is. At home care is only covered for 3 months with medicare as well.

AceOfTheBase

Take a strong look at Medicare advantage plans.
They are an umbrella plan and the doctors take that one card for everything covered, and you don't deal with govt medicare personnel, payment splits, etc….
It simplifies a complicated system. (do still need A & B)

cullyhog

Filling out paperwork for my wife now. You can apply 3 months before and until 3 months after you turn 65 for Medicare. If you don't sign up for Medicare Part B and the same time you will get penalized with a 10% increase.
Our insurance told us once we get her Medicare number (about 30 days after applying) we can then get the Supplemental or Advantage Plan.
Her Part B is $134 per month. Advantage Plans appear to run $0 - $65 per month depending on what we saw. We like AARP United Health or BCBS Anthem for what they offer. Not sure which one we will use.

JackSprat

Your wife's insurance will become secondary to your Medicare. It will be in the itsy teeny print in the policy. It likely will not cover anything that could be covered by Medicare Part B.

JackSprat

BTW my drug plan is with Humana, and it's a rip off, but I can't do better.

Issue is that I take a bunch of generics, that are mostly $5 at most pharmacies. So I never meet my deductible.

So I am paying a premium every month to Humana to make a co-pay that is the same as cash across the counter.

The only reason I'm keeping the drug plan is to protect against some illness that requires high dollars drugs.

Recently, Kroger want to charge me $20 co-pay for a drug that was on their cheap drug list for $5. Excuse - well that's what the insurance company lets us charge. Well, it's money out of my pocket, so don't submit it on insurance, and I will pay cash. Clerk looked at me like I had two heads - it's un-American to not submit for insurance, even if it costs ME more money.

Killdee

Your wife's insurance will become secondary to your Medicare. It will be in the itsy teeny print in the policy. It likely will not cover anything that could be covered by Medicare Part B.

Thanks, So I need to pre sign up for B and maybe let her drop me from her insurance? I guess I will need to speak to a insurance person at some point but need to get as informed as possible from you guys who have already hit the big 65. I have till April 13 till my birthday

JackSprat

Thanks, So I need to pre sign up for B and maybe let her drop me from her insurance? I guess I will need to speak to a insurance person at some point but need to get as informed as possible from you guys who have already hit the big 65. I have till April 13 till my birthday

As a practical matter, your wife's insurance is going to insist that it is the last to pay.

i am not competent to advise you on potential gaps in coverage, you need to talk to a competent advisor, but in my personal experience, and what I have observed from people around town, the company insurance will provide little additional insurance to your if you have Medicare part A and B.

Your wife's insurance will insist on paying the "last dollar".

Jim Baker

Staff member

I wouldn't drop the wife's ins. until at least one cycle. While it will be the last payer it is impossible to know what medicare is going to pay either. If you ever read one of their quarterly statements of benefits paid you would understand. You need to talk to a knowledgeable benefits person that knows your wife's coverage.

I have Medicare A & B and I am on the wife's insurance. For the better part of three years now I have not paid a cent in medical bills. That includes a 4 day stay in the hospital plus emergency room costs for a blockage in my intestines. My one prescription for Lorsartan cost me $3.00 per month.

AceOfTheBase

Really need to line up the apples with the apples and drop the oranges.
We looked very close at my wife's insurance vs mine & decided to go separately. But it was a close race, just gotta due your own deep dive here.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My employer provides Medicare supplement at no cost to retirees who work until age 65.

It is called Hartford/Benistar. Anyone got that plan?