Carpenters, painters, fix it men—a question

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I had a set of ramps built going to my front porch about a month ago. I’m planning on starting to paint them this week weather permitting.

There are some of the exposed to weather 6x6 posts that cracked a little when they dried. What can I put in the cracks to both seal them up good from the weather as well as look good and smooth when painted? Have used caulking in the past but there’s surely something better.

Also, what can I put over the screws on top of the rails to fill up the hole/cover them up so the rails will be smooth?

I’m going to cover the tops of the 6x6 with solar lights.

ThanksIMG_5424.jpegIMG_5425.jpegIMG_5426.jpeg

Last edited:

kayaksteve

I’m no carpenter, most of my wood projects don’t go exposed to the weather. So, this is just my guess, I would probably use wood filler if it will be sealed with paint afterwards. I have a feeling anything you use will surely fail and crack at some point. Just the nature of wood. Especially when exposed to the elements.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Bondo will work about as good as anything, until the wood expanding and contracting breaks it up... like anything else. Latex or silicone caulk will stay pliable longer, just harder to get smooth enough to "hide" (wet sponge works latex best).

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
As bat said bondo or I've used a product call Durham's /Rock hard which is a plastic powder you mix with water it paints well.

As a side note: I've been told ramps get slick when painted and they get wet. I just stained the ramp that I built 4 months ago. You can get a solid stain.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
As bat said bondo or I've used a product call Durham's /Rock hard which is a plastic powder you mix with water it paints well.

As a side note: I've been told ramps get slick when painted and they get wet. I just stained the ramp that I built 4 months ago. You can get a solid stain.
I saw that Durham product. Does it last?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Mix sand in with the paint (after you paint everything but the ramp surface), it's adds a lot of "grip" to a painted surface.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Mix sand in with the paint (after you paint everything but the ramp surface), it's adds a lot of "grip" to a painted surface.
Walnut shells is often used too.

bany

Minwax wood filler bondo with hardener. Superior to anything else filler like. Clean and dry is your friend also.

That Sashco stuff looks good too.

bany

They also sell a grit product for this purpose.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have used both wood bondo and durhams.Both work good if properly painted.
FYI... don,t mix up to much as it will dry quickly and you have a bunch not applied.......
Don,t ask me how I know that.