Rabun County Bear

jtomczak

Congrats

Congrats on a successful hunt!

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience with us.

BornToHuntAndFish

Congrats on your well earned bow bear success. Thx for the good story details.

SELFBOW

Congrats! I'm headed north tomorrow to play. I killed one in 2011 and didn't get to spend any time up there. I'm looking forward to it.....

jp94

Congrats! Great story thanks for sharing. Sounds like a memory that you will never forget.

Killer Kyle

Thanks for the kind words fellas. It was a great hunt and memory. Due to the difficulty of the pack out, this hunt will probably be seared in my memory forever.
For all of you guys hunting the mountains, and not seeing a lot of sign, I encourage you to not get discouraged. I haven't seen as much sign this year as I usually do either. I encourage you to stay hard at it. Hunt hard, and hunt long. Remember, it was almost 11:00 a.m. when I shot this bear. A lot of guys hunt the morning and evening, but on my trail cams, I've seen bears feeding at all times of day for the last month. Even 2:00 in the afternoon. When you hike in, make sure to have a lunch packed, and prepare for an all day hunt. If it gets too hot, move down to a creek bottom near by if you can, and get in the cool shade. Animal activity is unpredictable right now, and you should be too.
I think activity will increase by mid October and think gun season will yield more deer, bear, and hogs. Many of this year's acorns are already on the ground, brown, and getting old. Animals will be on the move in a few weeks, and will be looking for the best stuff, the freshest stuff around. With the days getting cool and shorter, the animals know winter is just around the bend, and will continue to prepare for cold weather and dwindling food sources. There is still a lot of great hunting ahead. I know it. Good luck to you all!

Killer Kyle

Thanks Kyle, any idea what elevation that ridge was?

That bear was shot right around 3,100' elevation. That general elevation is where I have been seeing the most sign, but I generally hunt up high anywhere between 3,000'-4,000'. Others should offer their opinions!

900 Shooter

Congrats! Great story and bear, Looks like she will make Pope & Young, we need to get together and score it officially in 60 days!