range report/gunsmith update

SnowHunter

Hey Yall

We went this mornin and picked up my RIA 1911. The "Gunsmith" was there waitin. Well, he brings my pistol out, and low and behold, the ONLY part on it out of the 3 I had asked him to install, was the hammer. The beavertail and the thumb safety were still in the bag of parts we had given him. But the parts he installed were the commander style hammer, and NATHANS ambi-safety :eek3: :dooh: I didnt say anything, just calmly watched as he explained what he did to the beavertail, and that if needed, he would tig weld on some more metal since he grinded too much :eek3: At this point, I couldnt believe it. We wrote him a check for everything minus the price of the beavertail. I know, I know we shouldnt have paid that much, but I was ready to be rid of him no matter what, I was fed up:cuss:. Oh yeah, he also said the ambi saftey would not come off, it was stuck, but it functioned. :: And he carved my new grips for the ambi!! :: So I guess I will be gettin a stainless ambi safety for mine, since the grips have been carved for it. UGH
Oh well, I will get in a few more range trips and then send it to Caleb, our new gunsmith, for some work.

So, now to the range we go!!!

We brought Nathans Ruger .30-06, My Rem 700 .30-06, both 1911's and both 22's (the winnie and the sears)

Nathan shot his Ruger with the new Kick Eez recoil pad. He said that it really made a difference from the factory stock pad. He shot through 9 times at 80 yds. Did alright, hes having a wrist problem, so he didnt shoot a lot. His 1911 did well with the Remington 230g JHP's, but it didnt cycle the Blazer ammo (230g FMJ) really well, it seated the some of the bullets about an 1/8th, and others it didnt have a problem. His 1911 will be goin to a Caleb for a feedramp polishing and an ambi safety when we get one.

My 1911 shot AWESOME!! Well, in the mags it liked. I had a blast, shot about 7 or 8 mags through it. Had a problem once when I didnt tap the mag in hard enough. Some of the mags we had didnt like my pistol, for some reason, they wouldnt allow the slide to lock back after the mag was empty, and then they were a PAIN IN THE REAR to get out, I had to have Nathan get em out with a screwdriver
but those same mags shot fine in Nathans 1911..(wonder if the smiths work had something to do with that, but I cant prove it, and im not sure) Otherwise, it fired like a dream, and fed the Blazer Brass 230g FMJ great, and didnt have a problem with the bullet seating problem as we did with Nathans, but mine had some feed ramp work before I bought it. It had a good bit of muzzle flip, but nothing uncontrolable, and after a couple rounds, I was feelin like I had shot it forever (even if my shooting wasnt great) I was comfortable shooting it, which was a great relief to me, especially after all the disapointment with the smith. I was able to get fairly fast sight picture, even with the small sights, which suprised me. I had a great time shooting, and look forward to shooting it again soon!!!
Here are a couple of my targets from the 1911
The flyers are when I grabbed the trigger or didnt get a good sight picture
Nic19112.jpg

Nic19113.jpg

Here is my targets shootin with the 22, I was proud of myself, I had NEVER shot like that before!!!
Nic22.jpg
[/img]
Ni22.jpg

I didnt shoot my .30-06, I was a bit too pumped on adrenaline. Hopefully with more practice, the adrenaline tones down a bit.

Nic

SnowHunter

Oops, forgot,
Heres a couple of the pics of my RIA with the new stainless hammer, and dust cover (recoil spring cap), oh and also the wrong safety, NAthans ambi :banginghe :banginghe
IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

CAL

Bad as I would have hated to give him 200.00 I think you did the correct thing.Now you can put it down in the book under bought experience.I have to buy most of mine as well.Whatever,you only have to answer for what you do not him or anyone else.Not much consolation but it is some.Good luck with your gun.

Nitro

Banned
FWIW, the stainless part you refer to is correctly known as the barrel bushing. It can aid in accuracy.

I would recommend you buy as many Wilson 47-D magazines as your budget allows. They should cure the magazine related issues your pistol exhibits.

I applaud your choice of a 1911 as a sidearm. My personal favorite for many reasons.

SnowHunter

FWIW, the stainless part you refer to is correctly known as the barrel bushing.
It already has a ss bbl bushing. I messed up when I typed it, thanks for catchin that. I actually had to get a new recoil spring cap because said smith lost the stock one :mad:
Ugh. At least it shot well.

I think the mag prob is related to something else I found wrong last night. I'll know in a lil while.

Nic