Real Cold weather...

swamp hunter

Like 30 degrees here in far North Florida..
That's dang cold for us far South guys.
I'm thinking about layin Low tomorrow morning , Got a 5 mile ride on the 4 Wheeler to get to my new Secret Spot . It's a nice 4 Wheeler but it will freeze you to death at 30 degrees.
Sooo , I'm justifying the act that the deer might be moving a little later in the day cause they got nowhere particular to go to and all day to do it.
It's cold for them too...
Am I right....

buckpasser

I'm thinking about layin Low tomorrow morning , Got a 5 mile ride on the 4 Wheeler to get to my new Secret Spot . It's a nice 4 Wheeler but it will freeze you to death at 30 degrees.
Sooo , I'm justifying the act that the deer might be moving a little later in the day cause they got nowhere particular to go to and all day to do it.
Am I right....

A buddy of mine I hunt with invited me to his Jefferson Co FL spot a few years ago. It was around 28 for the morning. We had the bright idea to let it warm up a bit and sneak in after the sun came up. I walked in on several deer and had a big 8 in view as I climbed into the stand. I’d recommend just sacrificing your face and comfort and hit it full bore tomorrow. Good clothes and a “trapper” type hat with goggles makes it somewhat bearable for me while I’m on the Mule or Ranger everyday for work.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If you can find a clearcut or chop that will get some good sun...sometime around 830-930 the cut will come alive on a cold frosty morning!

Yep^...
I'm not sure if my theory pertains down in Florida but I think on the very coldest nights,,especially with a moon (and usually it won't be cloudy on the very coldest nights), the deer will be up all night moving to keep warm. Then find a nice sunny place out of the wind to get their bedding done in the warm sun during the day.

bany

Would you get out of a warm bed if you had nothing to do? That said, if I’m hunting I’ll be in the woods. You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning! Wait did I say drink? I mean HUNT!!

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you can find a clearcut or chop that will get some good sun...sometime around 830-930 the cut will come alive on a cold frosty morning!

Yes indeed. And if are able, climb a tall tree on the east side of the field. That way the deer can’t see your outline due to the sunshine.

James12

A buddy of mine I hunt with invited me to his Jefferson Co FL spot a few years ago. It was around 28 for the morning. We had the bright idea to let it warm up a bit and sneak in after the sun came up. I walked in on several deer and had a big 8 in view as I climbed into the stand. I’d recommend just sacrificing your face and comfort and hit it full bore tomorrow. Good clothes and a “trapper” type hat with goggles makes it somewhat bearable for me while I’m on the Mule or Ranger everyday for work.

Born and raised there

buckspotter

I hunt in north Florida and have found they don’t move as well when it’s below30. They sit tight.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
It seems i dont see deer much movement when its abnormally cold. But im talking like 30 degrees below normal.

I agree with the sunshine thing. One morning when it was in the teens. I had a group of does come into a food plot. They basically stood around in the sun for almost 2 hrs. doing nothing.

It does seem that ive seen better than average deer movement that evening.

longbowdave1

Am I right....
30 is considered warm up here this time of year!

rugerfan

The coldest weather I have hunted deer in was 9 below zero without the wind-chill, ad the wind-chill it was 20 below. That was up in PA in the 1990's. Gutting a deer that day never felt so good!!!!!!!!

Everything was frozen, the deer that I shot sounded like bigfoot was coming through the woods.

longbowdave1

The cold weather tends to bring the deer to the best available food sources. Deer gotta eat to stay warm. Good luck on your hunts.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The colder, the better. Deer move like crazy on still frosty mornings. 30* isn't even cold, especially to a deer-that would be a warm morning here this time of year. I see plenty of deer when it's in the teens or colder. I don't really like to deer hunt when it's warmer than the low 30s. Might be your best opportunity of the year.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I know I live in a different climate now (well not in the nasty hot humid heavy thick hateful summer, then it's the same!) but it was 21 and frozen at the house this morning and as I was dropping the kid off at school she looked at me and said "Dang Jim it's cold!!!! But I know you would be in a tree smiling right now if you could!"

Put me in a tree!

Wifeshusband

Rooster Todd wanted some cold weather for hunting and his prayers have been answered. I just checked weather forecast for the next two weeks; and, here in my part of west Georgia, the highs will only be in the 40's and 50's (not 60's). Christmas day is supposed to be high of 39 with snow showers. I have a cold weather coat and overalls I bought at Bass Pro 20 years ago for weather such as this, but I look and feel like the Michelin Tire Man. How I fondly recall when I got my 7 pointer the day before Halloween this year when it was about 55 degrees (weather for old guys like me with arthritis). :devilish: (You want warm weather when it's cold and cold weather when it's hot)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Christmas day is supposed to be high of 39 with snow showers.
That sounds about like nearly every day here from about early November to the end of March. I like it less every year. Especially after deer season is over, which it has been for over a week here now.