Regarding fall protection, could someone please explain...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I know I am going out on a limb here, but here it is...No reason to be any more complicated than this...

Once again, I am NOT telling anybody they should do this. For me, this is it.

View attachment 1047049

View attachment 1047050

I am now 99.99 percent sure I won't fall out of my climber, and if I do I am 105 percent sure I can control my descent back to earth...

That looks similar to what I do. If I get a chance I'll post of pic soon. I see you have 2 or 3 wraps around your carabiner. You may like to go to a munter hitch (google). It is very simple easy to lock down with slipped half hitch and then release that with a tug on the terminal end. Very controllable rappel down the line. Used by professionals...

Ray357

AWOL
I don't wear one. I also don't hunt in climbing stands. I either hunt out of boxes or ladder stands. I have rails built around my ladder stands. It would be theoretically possible to fall out, but you would have to try to.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
That looks similar to what I do. If I get a chance I'll post of pic soon. I see you have 2 or 3 wraps around your carabiner. You may like to go to a munter hitch (google). It is very simple easy to lock down with slipped half hitch and then release that with a tug on the terminal end. Very controllable rappel down the line. Used by professionals...

Tried the Munter...At 170#, I had a hard time descending..:LOL: Might be the rope...

With 2 wraps, it was a little fast, so I settled on three. Gives me a slow descent, easy to control, stop, start, and tie off if I needed to.

With the three wraps, I could almost not use the stopper knot. Does make it easy to release with three wraps, 'cause the stopper doesn't load much, just kinda sits there.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I know I am going out on a limb here, but here it is...No reason to be any more complicated than this...
I am now 99.99 percent sure I won't fall out of my climber, and if I do I am 105 percent sure I can control my descent back to earth...

I like it... I assume you are wearing a rock climbing harness... also does your rope go all the way down to the ground? Good three wraps through carabiner. Should be pretty slow decent. It may be hard to find the rope to get a total brake, but depending on how much you weigh still a scary fall, but better than hanging from a strap.

In event of a fall... I will likely already have my weapon on safe and in my mind I drop / toss my rifle immediately... hands free to hopefully recover and grab whatever I can... land on my feet. That’s my plan, right after don’t fall to begin with. Third hand safety straps are my main protection.

Waddams

first season I've used a climber. harness, tether, and fall arrest system. and a very slow climbing guy that's still really nervous when going up and down!

i have a 15' ladder stand in pieces in my backyard. my wife would love if it had a place to go.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Harry,

Yes, rope goes to the ground. And I am using a riggers/rescue belt, no harness. The point is that I wear a belt anyway, so it was no leap to begin using the emergency belt. I don't have to remember it or adjust it because I will always wear it to hold up my Huntin' britches.

Back in the day, at SWAT and SAR training, I made several "demo descents" off a seven story building using just the belt, to show others that it could be done safely if need be. I was the little guy on the team, and crazy enough to do it. I am totally comfortable with the belt for an emergency 20-30 foot descent. No biggie, for ME.

Not saying anyone else should go "belt only" but it's fine if you are comfortable with it.

Nimrod71

I am not known for wearing safety equipment but I suggest that anyone using a deer stand practice a fall situation and getting back to the ground. You need a plan of what to do and how to get down before it happens. Also let someone know where your stand is and when you will be out of the woods. I show my wife where my stand is and I call her at a set time and when I get out of the woods. I know of two men that fall to their death off of latter stands. A friend fell off his last year and broke in elbow and back. Lets be Careful out there. Good Luck

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
While I completely agree with you that there's probably better\safer ways to do it, I also have to think very hard to remember the last time I've heard of someone in a conventional harness not surviving the fall.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I will say this...There are now belts available with a quick disconnect buckle...Actually saw one on a Marine buddy of mine and asked him about it. Said there's no way he'd trust it, stick to the old type slide-lock buckle...