Ruger SRH / .22 Hornet

AliBubba

I have the new Ruger SRH in .22 Hornet on order. Was wondering what y'all thought of the caliber? Back in the day, I had a Czech Brno in .22 Hornet that was supper accurate.

Lilly001

That sure is an unusual cartridge for a hand gun.
Keep us posted. I’m really interested in how it preforms.

Taurus has had available its Raging Hornet for sometime.
In a pistol, the Hornet is somewhat neutered. Velocities are about 500fps below that of a rifle barrel.
The very best powder for the Hornet, Hodgdon LilGun, is reportedly problematic in revolvers due to reportedly rapidly eroding throats and frame cutting of top straps.
That said, the Mega-brute RedHawks ought to handle the Hornet with aplomb.

Like its bigger brother, the .30Carbine, it will thrive on heavy doses of H110. Like any high pressure revolver it will have a substantial muzzle blast. Ear plugs AND muffs are recommended.

Also, remove any wax or oil based case lubricants from the cartridge cases, and oil or grease from the cylinder chambers, to prevent fired cases from sticking. Otherwise carry a 6”x1/4” brass punch and a short handle hammer to remove cases…

But, pardon the pun, shooting crows, armadillo’s, or even a coyote should be a blast.
Personally, I’d likely shoot a steady diet of cast bullets. A Lee 50gr “Soup Can (a Blount flat nose gas checked cast bullet)over some #2400 would make a great vermin eliminator.
Grafs carrys PPU .22Hornet factory ammo in 50rd boxes for $35.99, but is currently out of stock.
The .22Hornet “sucks” if you don’t reload!
I wouldn’t recommend shooting deer with it, but it equals or exceeds a .22WRM from a rifle, so with adequate shot placement it would do the job.
A scope is almost essential considering the likely use of the pistol which defeats the purpose of a pistol… It’ll be as heavy and almost as big as a Rifle. It that case, I prefer my Marlin M1894CL in .218Bee. It uses exactly the same bullets and powder charges I use in my Hornet (Ruger M77/22Hornet KBZ; Stainless Bull barrel, Laminated stock), but is about 6.5lbs with a Leupold VariXII Compact.

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

AliBubba

Thanks @GooseGestapo for the wealth of info.. I plan to start with the PPU ammo and see where this takes me since other ammo is hard to come by. I'm planning to use it mainly for hogs which I think it will do well.

Thanks @GooseGestapo for the wealth of info.. I plan to start with the PPU ammo and see where this takes me since other ammo is hard to come by. I'm planning to use it mainly for hogs which I think it will do well.
Full case of IMR/H4198 less about 3/16” below case mouth (13.8gr) with a Sierra 45gr Semi Pointed Soft point. (Optimized for the .22Hornet). Either of my .22Hornet or .218Bee shoots under MOA @100yds.
Adequate expansion with excellent penetration. Especially head shots, or heart shots tight behind the shoulder will kill them. Heart shots will always run a ways, but will likely result in an exit wound, too.

AliBubba

I'm still waiting to get my hands on the Ruger 22 H ... finding out that getting decent ammo is near impossible at this time.

Darien1

I have a Ruger 77/hornet. It's super accurate but other than shooting the occasional crow I can't figure out what else to do with it.

AliBubba

IMHO... it is not the size of the round but the placement of the shot. I say this because of my experience with the 22 H... During the early 70s I had a Czech Brno (aka CZ) in 22H. I have taken more mountain goats with it in the Caucasian mountains that I can count.. With that rifle it is was flat to 120 yards. In Georgia, I have hunted for the past 35 years and my longest shot has been 85 yds. I hunt public land and WMAs...

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
@GooseGestapo Unfortunately I don't reload but wish I did. Don't have the space. Will keep your advice if things change. Thx!
Everyone says that, and I'm not trying to tell you how much space you have, but you'd be surprised how compact you can be with a Lee hand press... I started loading 35 Whelen and later 30-06 with all of my equipment and supplies fitting in the old box my Muck Boots came in.

The problem comes when you realize what a fun hobby it is and start expanding... But for 1-2 calibers, you can be surprisingly efficient on space.

bullgator

Taurus has had available its Raging Hornet for sometime.
In a pistol, the Hornet is somewhat neutered. Velocities are about 500fps below that of a rifle barrel.
The very best powder for the Hornet, Hodgdon LilGun, is reportedly problematic in revolvers due to reportedly rapidly eroding throats and frame cutting of top straps.
That said, the Mega-brute RedHawks ought to handle the Hornet with aplomb.

Like its bigger brother, the .30Carbine, it will thrive on heavy doses of H110. Like any high pressure revolver it will have a substantial muzzle blast. Ear plugs AND muffs are recommended.

Also, remove any wax or oil based case lubricants from the cartridge cases, and oil or grease from the cylinder chambers, to prevent fired cases from sticking. Otherwise carry a 6”x1/4” brass punch and a short handle hammer to remove cases…

But, pardon the pun, shooting crows, armadillo’s, or even a coyote should be a blast.
Personally, I’d likely shoot a steady diet of cast bullets. A Lee 50gr “Soup Can (a Blount flat nose gas checked cast bullet)over some #2400 would make a great vermin eliminator.
Grafs carrys PPU .22Hornet factory ammo in 50rd boxes for $35.99, but is currently out of stock.
The .22Hornet “sucks” if you don’t reload!
I wouldn’t recommend shooting deer with it, but it equals or exceeds a .22WRM from a rifle, so with adequate shot placement it would do the job.
A scope is almost essential considering the likely use of the pistol which defeats the purpose of a pistol… It’ll be as heavy and almost as big as a Rifle. It that case, I prefer my Marlin M1894CL in .218Bee. It uses exactly the same bullets and powder charges I use in my Hornet (Ruger M77/22Hornet KBZ; Stainless Bull barrel, Laminated stock), but is about 6.5lbs with a Leupold VariXII Compact.
Does a 1/4” rod fit in a .22 cylinder?

AliBubba

Finally got my Ruger SRH .22 Hornet... (y)now looking for a scope for it that doesn't brake the bank. :) ..... any suggestions? I tried a 4x scope that I had but it doesn't have enough eye relief. Thx in advance..