Running water

Jimmypop

Many people have told me that running water won't freeze, so when the temp is very cold, leave your running a little bit and it won't freeze and burst your pipes. I do. But I don't know why. Here's a picture of our fountain. It was running a few days ago. It's 17 outside. My water is running in 2 sinks. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_20240117_153431552_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240117_153431552_HDR.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 179

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Many people have told me that running water won't freeze, so when the temp is very cold, leave your running a little bit and it won't freeze and burst your pipes. I do. But I don't know why. Here's a picture of our fountain. It was running a few days ago. It's 17 outside. My water is running in 2 sinks. Go figure.
it will freeze after it comes out but will keep coming out.

oldfella1962

You have a pretty "ice sculpture" and you didn't have to even lift a finger - nature did it for you! :) True though, running (or moving at all) water doesn't freeze as quickly. That's why you stay away from - or at least be very cautious around - channels & inlets & outlets when you are ice fishing.
When I was a kid all I had to lose was a 72 Buick LeSabre if I went through the ice and made it out alive. I can't imagine losing 70K worth of pickup truck! :eek:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
If it gets cold enough it will. Toss in a little windchill and it freezes more quickly.

I've the New River freeze almost completely, minus the swiftest of spots.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
If it gets cold enough it will. Toss in a little windchill and it freezes more quickly.

I've the New River freeze almost completely, minus the swiftest of spots.
Not to be a picker of nits, but the river is still running under the layer of ice.

Letting your faucets drip has consequences also.
Today's faucets will more than likely drip after "running" them for cold temps.

WOODIE13

Not to be a picker of nits, but the river is still running under the layer of ice.

Letting your faucets drip has consequences also.
Today's faucets will more than likely drip after "running" them for cold temps.
True, but I've seen a few fast flowing creeks freeze from the bottom up as well, especially with a rocky bottom. I would guess the rocks conduct the cold, not sure.

Cedar Run on Quantico comes to mind, used to duck hunt it since it would stay open in most places after the Potomac locked up. Wade out to set your decoys and you could feel the icy slush on the bottom, plus it would break up and float to the top.

Last edited:

pjciii

The one up in Helen looks the same way when the Temps get like this.

WOODIE13

oldfella1962

There is Lot of temperature difference in a water line below ground or inside an insulated wall and a fountain uninsulated/unprotected and exposed to the wind chill.
Yep - my birdbath freezes solid all the time in weather like this because it's surrounded by cold air. That's why bridges & overpasses ice up before the rest of the road - no ground to insulate it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Place I worked at in Denver forgot to turn off the lawn sprinklers when the first hard freeze hit. Large flower shaped ice froze at each sprinkler head.

earlthegoat2

Lived in MI for a few decades and never had to let water run unless it was sub-zero.

I have experience with pipes freezing but never had any first hand accounts of them bursting.

In other words, go ahead and play it safe if you must but these occurrences are uncommon in states way colder than GA.

I put a blanket over the valve bank for my irrigation (after turning the water off and opening the solenoids)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Lived in MI for a few decades and never had to let water run unless it was sub-zero.

I have experience with pipes freezing but never had any first hand accounts of them bursting.

In other words, go ahead and play it safe if you must but these occurrences are uncommon in states way colder than GA.

I put a blanket over the valve bank for my irrigation (after turning the water off and opening the solenoids)
The regulations for depth of pipes in colder states calls for them to be deeper in the ground than here. I've seen pipes bust (or get pulled apart by ground contracting then expanding) in a lot warmer weather than this here. Plus a lot of older houses and mobile homes on uninsulated crawl spaces here.

earlthegoat2

The regulations for depth of pipes in colder states calls for them to be deeper in the ground than here. I've seen pipes bust (or get pulled apart by ground contracting then expanding) in a lot warmer weather than this here. Plus a lot of older houses and mobile homes on uninsulated crawl spaces here.

True enough.

I live in an uninsulated house now but I also forget that it gets significantly colder in the northern areas of GA.

I do find it amusing that I hear about concerns involving frozen pipes much much more down here than I ever did when I lived in a much colder climate

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
True enough.

I live in an uninsulated house now but I also forget that it gets significantly colder in the northern areas of GA.

I do find it amusing that I hear about concerns involving frozen pipes much much more down here than I ever did when I lived in a much colder climate
Houses are plumbed different here than up north. Pipes are very rarely run thru exterior exposed walls up north.
It's common in the south.