Sawtooth oaks

ucfireman

So I have heard that deer like the acorns.
I picked up a few today (acorns) and will probably plant them and then plant the seedlings in the ground.
My question is, Have y'all actually seen the deer eat those acorns? Especially when there are others on the ground at the same time?
Meaning, do deer prefer them to say northern red oak, southern red oak, white oak, or swamp chestnut?
I know everyone says white oak is the most preferred. I'm just trying to make the acorn season longer and some variety. That is if they will eat them readily, not just when no others are available.

I can plant plenty of white oaks and swamp chestnut oaks. Which I know they eat readily.

The ones I picked up are about dime diameter so decent size. The tops that the acorn falls from are spiky, not like chestnut spiky but more than other oaks, does that deter deer?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
So I have heard that deer like the acorns.
I picked up a few today (acorns) and will probably plant them and then plant the seedlings in the ground.
My question is, Have y'all actually seen the deer eat those acorns? Especially when there are others on the ground at the same time?
Meaning, do deer prefer them to say northern red oak, southern red oak, white oak, or swamp chestnut?
I know everyone says white oak is the most preferred. I'm just trying to make the acorn season longer and some variety. That is if they will eat them readily, not just when no others are available.

I can plant plenty of white oaks and swamp chestnut oaks. Which I know they eat readily.

The ones I picked up are about dime diameter so decent size. The tops that the acorn falls from are spiky, not like chestnut spiky but more than other oaks, does that deter deer?
I can't say for the spikeyness of those acorns but deer eat green briars right?

Glynr

Deer love them. As long as they are dropping they will come. Takes about 6 or 7 years the others you mentioned about 20 years to produce.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, deer will eat them ravenously. They are also horribly invasive.

ucfireman

Yes, deer will eat them ravenously. They are also horribly invasive.
I hear that but when I see them there doesn't seem to be a grove of them around.
I did see a few sprouts around the ones I picked from today, but they were in an office park.
I have been hesitant because they were non native.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hear that but when I see them there doesn't seem to be a grove of them around.
I did see a few sprouts around the ones I picked from today, but they were in an office park.
I have been hesitant because they were non native.
They're not as bad as a lot of things, but they will seed out. I'll take sawtooths in the woods over privet and oriental bittersweet any day.

Bushhog Bob

Deer and turkeys are crazy about them. They drop earlier than the other acorns and I had pictures with as many as ten deer and 12 turkeys under them at the same time. This is the first time in 15 years that my sawtooths did not have acorns. Late freeze this past spring got them. My 4 Chinese Chestnuts trees drop early also, and the deer are feeding on them real good. I planted 10 more sawtooths tow years ago.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They're not as bad as a lot of things, but they will seed out. I'll take sawtooths in the woods over privet and oriental bittersweet any day.

I proved that to myself with my own trees I planted back over 25 years ago, and observations on some trees planted on Chickasawhatchee WMA many more years ago. When I saw that I cut my trees down and roundupped the stumps. All I plant now are swamp chestnut oaks.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I've got some whites (swamp oak x chestnut oak hybrid i think) but they aren't producing yet, so for now my absolute favorites for the quickest production is sawtooth, nuttall, and chinese chestnuts, no not an oak but the deer love them, and not to start the Dunstan vs chinese debate, I simply prefer chinese because I've had better luck with them, I know other folks have had the exact opposite results with chestnuts so if I was starting from scratch I'd get even numbers of both varieties to see which best suited your property.

ucfireman

I have never seen deer eating chestnuts.
I only know where a few are. 1 close to the road, never see deer and the nuts rot. I believe its a Chinese.
I saw a few up in Cataloochee, nuts everywhere on the ground, maybe too much foot and car traffic.
I do have 5 Dunstan I planted 1 years ago and gave 2 to a neighbor. They had flowers on them when planted but haven't done anything yet.
Hope the deer will eat them when they do produce.
I'm also trying to get some pawpaw going too, Don't know if deer will eat them or not but I know they will rub them.
I will probably try a few Sawtooths I guess.
I would like some chinkapins if I can find them.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If you’re not a bow hunter you won’t get much hunting use from them. As far as deer eating them, they will absolutely destroy them. Looks like a cattle lot with all the tracks around mine this year.

Jim Boyd

If you’re not a bow hunter you won’t get much hunting use from them. As far as deer eating them, they will absolutely destroy them. Looks like a cattle lot with all the tracks around mine this year.

Ummmm, remember some states have early seasons.

Also, deer food (IMO) is good overall whether it gets hunted over or not.

We have planted a ton of green that never gets hunted.

Yea, they crush sawtooths in this area.

Yes, the late frost hurt the trees this year.

My pears got pounded also.

glad your deer pounded them!!!!

Best of luck to all