Sawtooth Oaks

ZACHLASS

I have about 20 sawtooths oaks.....10 are gobbler sawtooth and 10 are regular sawtooth. They are about 10 yrs old and in the spring they put small acorns on and then in about a month they all fall off...Havent gotten any acorns yet...just wondering if I need to apply a certain mineral of vitamin...Ive called County Ext Office for help and have put all kinds of supplements and fertilizer with no positive results as far as acorn production...Any help would be appreciated.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Did you prune them, reason I ask the second pic looks like a peach tree pruning. But I would think they'd still produce.
I may be wrong but the other pics look like the trees are too wide from how tall they are. Could be just the camera angle. Maybe not getting enough nitrogen?

ZACHLASS

I trim the lower limbs so I can mow but none of the tall ones...thats just how they grew. I fertilize them each every year with 10 tree fertilizer spikes and I use 16-16-16 underneath each one at the drip line.

glynr329

Be patient some of my trees do better than others. I just throw a few hands full of fertilize when I do my fruit trees.

GeorgeShu

My observation is that they are very sensitive to even a light frost when they start blooming. If they get too cold they abort the bloom and maybe even after it been fertilized.
There may be other factors in play but that is my observation of the sawtooths in my yard.

ZACHLASS

I'm in central Florida and we havent had a single frost in 2 years and we usually dont have a frost after the full moon in February. I'm a 3rd generation citrus grower and these trees have irrigation underneath them....When we water the grove the oak trees get watered....one thing that happens in Florida is phosphate mining. This land has been mined in the late 80s so very little phosphate in the soil but I use a fertilizer with alot of phosphate.

SRShunter

Mine did the same thing last year. 1st time I ever saw acorns on them. I blamed it on the drought. They are about 7yo this year and covered up with pollen pods right now.

ZACHLASS

Yeah mine too...I have talked to anyone who would listen about them...I planted them for the deer and everyone told me that they would out produce any food plot in tonnage and produce in 5 years but I had a guy pulling orange trees with a front end loader and I almost pushed them up the other day.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The only problem I’ve had with mine I think is untimely rain while during pollination . Mine are about the same age and have been producing acorns for a few years . Last fall the were absolutely loaded, like completely cover the ground under them with acorns, I done no trimming or don’t water maybe a couple hand fulls of garden fertilizer, yours do look pruned like a fruit tree , maybe this year will be the year F379D800-F8F3-4ACD-8046-68DB3512D7A7.jpeg

ZACHLASS

I hope so ...I never had acorns that big just thought maybe I was missing something....even the deer walk underneath the trees and look for acorns.

ZACHLASS

Wow those trees look a lot older than mine....maybe the reclaimed mining soil has stunted there growth...idk