Scope Recommendation

Jester896

Senior Clown
S-K is a German company owned by Lapua. S-K Standard Plus, Wolf ME and Wolf MT are run on the same line. I have seen S-K in the Lapua booth at the Rifle Expo.

I agree with Chuckdog...that is a good looking rifle

natureman

The trigger is a single stage and is adjustable down to 2.4 lbs. There are several after market triggers since it is built on a Remington 700 short action. The feed is by magazine. I don't know about a single shot adaptor. That is interesting about rim thickness. I have lots to learn which makes it exciting.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I hear all kinds of tricks talked about. Most of the S-K and others as well have info on the box for specific lot # fps, the machine it was made and etc. It makes it easier to find the same ammo when you need more. Then go through each batch and weight sort and find the impact variance of each weight.

I use a SS adapter in my CZ FWIW I was curious about the full size mag and the half size ejection port.

natureman

I hear all kinds of tricks talked about. Most of the S-K and others as well have info on the box for specific lot # fps, the machine it was made and etc. It makes it easier to find the same ammo when you need more. Then go through each batch and weight sort and find the impact variance of each weight.

I use a SS adapter in my CZ FWIW I was curious about the full size mag and the half size ejection port.

Since it is marketed as a training rifle, I think it is to keep everything as similar as possible to the Remington 700. Here is a video

rayjay

Also, at 24x, your movement is more noticeable. I find I shoot better on a lower setting than the higher setting, especially at 100 yards. The exaggerated movement from a higher power scope affects your accuracy, can't explain it, but it does.

Rosewood

I'm sorry to have to say this, but that is nonsense. The high power scope identifies problems, it doesn't cause them.

Until a medical problem 5 years ago I had been shooting CF and RF BR matches probably twice a month. The lowest power at a match would be 36X. Even at a RF match at 50 yds 36X is the norm. I have seen March 10> 60X scopes used at 50 yds.

The key to getting the most out of a high power scope is a 1.5 oz trigger, a solid rest and bag set up AND AND AND - the most important thing - windflags. At 50 yds they allow you to shoot tiny groups. At 100 yds you are lost without flags. Even then 100 yds is crazy with a 22 lr. One group will be 3/8" which is awesome with a 22 and the next will be 2" because you missed a change in the wind.

At the RFBR matches I put on we shot at 50 and 100 for a different challenge. This is why I know how difficult 100 yds is with a 22, even $2500+ plus rifles with $15+ a box Eley ammo.

5 shots at 50 yds. No way to do this without good ammo and good flags.

40x aug 09 group just bull 18 .059.JPG

100 yd test targets. I think this was an Anschutz 2013 BR, T36 Weaver and Eley Match EPS ammo and flags of course. That lower LH group is likely the best I ever shot with a 22 at 100yds.

IBS Target Rifle test targets.JPG

rayjay

Flags at a match. Notice that they ain't all pointing the same and this is only 50 yds.August match flag field.JPG

rayjay

This is also helpful for rf shooting. There is a significant vertical component to the wind direction due to the spin of the bullet.

wind 'rose' #2.jpg

wind rose jpg.JPG

rayjay

Rest and bag set up

Silhouette Windage Rest.JPG

erector set f class rh rear.JPG

Attachments

• suhl on bench from lh rear.JPG
    suhl on bench from lh rear.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 6

rayjay

You are not going to be doing this kind of fun stuff with a low powered scope :) Bug guts !

annie 64p 17 bug guts (2).JPG

rayjay

I also want to dispel another 22 lr myth and that is cleaning. At a RFBR match the bbls will be bronzed brushed and patched out after every target. This is 25 record rounds plus 10 to 20 [ to 50 :) ] sighters. Even the $300+ bbl blanks used in RFBR lead up in the chamber area. This leading plays havoc with the following bullets that are forced through the leading.

I use custom 2 piece bore guides that are a tight fit on the rod. I use a 20 cal Dewey coated rod. I use 22 rf pistol bronze brushes. I use a modified patch jag. 22 lr patches. For a solvent I like Ballistol that I learned from the BPCR silhoutte match rifle shooters which use lead bullets. Never pull the brush or jag back to the chamber. Push it out the muzzle and remove the brush or jag. The only way to know if your cleaning regimen is working is a bore scope.

bore guides separate.JPG

bore guides hall on rod not inserted.JPG

bore guides Hall on rod inserted.JPG

rayjay

Modified jag

Boreguidescustomjag.jpg

natureman

Second visit to the range today using the same Bushnell Nitro 4x16 . 50 yards and windy. Average group size .6 inch which was a little better than last week. Also, got zeroed in for 100 yards. Will need a higher power scope for 100.

Attachments

• 2.17.21.2.jpg
    2.17.21.2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

rosewood

Second visit to the range today using the same Bushnell Nitro 4x16 . 50 yards and windy. Average group size .6 inch which was a little better than last week. Also, got zeroed in for 100 yards. Will need a higher power scope for 100.
That is good groups for a .22lr.

rosewood

Thanks. My goal is consistent <.5. at 50 yards. I think I can get there.
What ammo are you using? That is probably the most important part when it comes to .22lr.

natureman

What ammo are you using? That is probably the most important part when it comes to .22lr.
SK Standard Plus. The Bergara user groups recommend it. There is better out there for insane prices. I have a couple of boxes of RWS R50 and Eley Club that I have not shot yet. All are subsonic.