Seeing Red

sportsman94

Got a handful of sets in the ground real close to the house. Today was check #2 and I had my second red in as many days. A section of the farm where I’ve never caught one before so I hope they are increasing and expanding their range a little bit. Appears that these are both from the same litter. Got two possums today too so I can be in the running for possum king

IMG_8550.jpegIMG_8553.jpeg

Big7

The Oracle
Got a handful of sets in the ground real close to the house. Today was check #2 and I had my second red in as many days. A section of the farm where I’ve never caught one before so I hope they are increasing and expanding their range a little bit. Appears that these are both from the same litter. Got two possums today too so I can be in the running for possum king

View attachment 1259139View attachment 1259140
Do you tan the hides?

Big7

The Oracle
Very nice. I like red foxes and as we discussed in the other thread they get the catch pole instead of the bullet when I catch one. Maybe they're making a comeback in your area.
Only one I ever shot was rabid and mangy.
I was prolly 12 or 13 when that happened.

The X has got one hanging around her house and she is right in the middle of town. Drives the Black Lab nuts.

They are beautiful little animals but if I had chickens or something, I got to do what I got to do but I would hate it.

Toliver

Very nice. I like red foxes and as we discussed in the other thread they get the catch pole instead of the bullet when I catch one. Maybe they're making a comeback in your area.
We have a pair at our place that come out in front of the camera every night. Usually about 20 or 30 minutes after we leave if we leave near dark. I'm hoping they're a breeding pair and not just siblings still hanging together. They must have a den somewhere petty close to the camera but I haven't seen it yet.

Tonight one is hanging out with a possum.
Screenshot_20231004-224637_Tactacam REVEAL.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great to see and as someone else said , I bet they are benefiting from the removal of coyotes

Toliver

So if I wanted to start putting food out for mine, what do you think they would prefer? Something that would replicate their diet in the form of nutrition, not some fox "junk food". I know they eat birds and mice and such but is there a suitable store bought food that would do right by them and keep them coming to the camera each night?

tr21

So if I wanted to start putting food out for mine, what do you think they would prefer? Something that would replicate their diet in the form of nutrition, not some fox "junk food". I know they eat birds and mice and such but is there a suitable store bought food that would do right by them and keep them coming to the camera each night?
I guarantee she and her kitts were some of the best feed in the world. the 1st time we saw her she walked right up after we cooked fillets and shrimp. over the next 3 months she got hot dogs, hamburgers, steak scraps, buns and bread. I would go to wallyworld and buy the big packs of cheap hot dogs and give her 3 or 4 a day. she would eat 1 and run away with the other in her mouth, a few minutes later she'd come back for another and take em away until gone, we knew she had a den really close but never even looked for it.

sleepr71

The problem with feeding them comes when they go to the next house down the road,and those folks think it’s a Rabid Fox..:( I had one for years that I nicknamed “Jeff” (Foxworthy)..and it would sit 4-5 ft from me as long as I fed it. It would be laying in my yard at night,waiting on me to feed it..when I got home from work. I learned that one of my neighbors about 400yds away killed it one night…fully convinced that it was rabid..because it just laid there. & watched them. In hindsight ..I felt guilty for (unintentionally) setting that Fox up for that:(

Toliver

That's a good point. My intention is to just keep them in the area by providing a good food source that they find when I'm not there. I enjoy seeing them on the camera.

tr21

The problem with feeding them comes when they go to the next house down the road,and those folks think it’s a Rabid Fox..:( I had one for years that I nicknamed “Jeff” (Foxworthy)..and it would sit 4-5 ft from me as long as I fed it. It would be laying in my yard at night,waiting on me to feed it..when I got home from work. I learned that one of my neighbors about 400yds away killed it one night…fully convinced that it was rabid..because it just laid there. & watched them. In hindsight ..I felt guilty for (unintentionally) setting that Fox up for that:(
I was on a WMA but yea I had that same concern. named her FRAN and kept thinking how come deer hunting time she would come to camp looking for food and get shot.

Latest posts