Seeking recommendations for country ham

Quepos1

I can not find one here in my area and wish to order one to have for Christmas. Last I ordered a few years ago was a Smithfield and it was good but thought I'd ask other GA folk. My Mother sent several to me years ago that were excellent but I can't remember the brands

Thanks

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Kydawg gets some that folks on here rave about. Start a conversation with him.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ask KYDawg, Those he is hooked up with are the best that I've eaten since I got them out of grandpas's smokehouse in the backyard.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer my ham to be no frio. :)

strick54

If you are looking for country hams, we have found that Westwater Country Hams, in Warsaw, NC, are really good. (Everyone's taste varies!) You can get them whole or sliced, deboned & packaged 2-3 slices per. We get one every year & make it last! (910) 293-7294

Last edited:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Broadbent is hard to beat. They have the option of a less salty one, which I like. Far as I am concerned Clifty is not in the race. Post in the free ham contest in the Café and yoou might just win one.

Artfuldodger

Broadbent is hard to beat. They have the option of a less salty one, which I like. Far as I am concerned Clifty is not in the race. Post in the free ham contest in the Café and yoou might just win one.

I didn't think so by the little pieces of Clifty Farms that I bought. Thanks for your info and contest.

DannyW

My wife thinks they stink so I have to cook it outside.

LOL...so my city-girl wife is not the only one who hates the smell of country ham? I can cook it in the morning and when she walks in the door that evening she wrinkles her nose and starts spraying air freshener.

Artfuldodger

LOL...so my city-girl wife is not the only one who hates the smell of country ham? I can cook it in the morning and when she walks in the door that evening she wrinkles her nose and starts spraying air freshener.

Yep, sounds like my wife.

Looking around though, these dry cured country hams don't seem to be as popular in Georgia today. Especially South Georgia. Seems like I remember seeing someone in Wrightsville that made them years ago.

I had a coworker that made them in Gibson, Ga but that's moving into Middle Georgia.
My Dad said they made them in South Georgia in the 30's-40's. Just put them in a box of salt. Take em out later and hang them in the smokehouse. Rub with black pepper and maybe borax.
Some people smoked them a bit and some people just salt cured them and air-dried them.

I thought maybe it was related to the South Georgia temps and insects. My Mom never bought any or served any to us growing up in the 60's/70's. Just city hams. I'll have to ask her why. I'm sure she had them growing up.

Personally I love the stronger taste of the curing, fermenting, drying, maturing, etc. that helps develop that characteristic distinctive flavor.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

The black pepper kept insects away

I've read that was why it was used.
My Dad says he remembers cutting off the outer part with the "skippers" in it.

"Until the 1950's, many rural Southern families slaughtered their own hogs and cured their own hams. Today, few Southerners can recall the savoriness of those country hams. With changing tastes, only the fiercest fans can palate the pungency of the once-coveted two-year ham -- let alone the sight of it, furry with mold."

Maybe the mold and skippers? Probably just changing taste and I'm sure city hams were cheaper.