Selling wild hog meat

Gator89

No.

Hogs are not considered game, but there are regulatory requirements for selling meat.

ProAngler

I’m not asking about general meat selling regulatory requirements. I understand those. Just about anything specific to wild hogs. Thanks!

NCMTNHunter

For meat to be legal for sale it has to be killed at a USDA approved inspected facility. As far I know there is no legal way to transport live wild hogs.

billy336

For meat to be legal for sale it has to be killed at a USDA approved inspected facility. As far I know there is no legal way to transport live wild hogs.
You can in FL, I have a feral hog transport license issued Dept of Ag. I can only take them to a lic preserve or slaughterhouse

I don't know why one would transport live wild hogs, unless it is to turn them loose in a high fence area to have clients shoot them. Thus you would need a permit.

You may not sell any wild hog meat, that is USDA and not allowed. Wild hogs have all kinds of unfriendly stuff that is not safe.

Not exactly, I have a friend in Twiggs county that shoots them inside high fence. I believe he has to have the permit to catch them on other properties and transport them to his high fence area where folks pay good money to shoot them inside the fence.

Is my understanding. But, if you are transporting a live one you need the permit.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Yes, but there a number of rules to abide by. Feral hog meat may be sold if taken live to an inspected slaughterhouse, most won't take them. In order to transport live feral hogs you must first obtain a feral hog transport permit from GA Dept. of Ag. Before transporting them, hogs must be either tagged with official ID or you must use the Gooutdoorsgeorgia app to log a transport request and confirm delivery to the slaughterhouse. These stricter rules are brand new as of January 1st, 2019.

Transporting a live feral hog without following these rules is a minimum $1,500 fine.

mlandrum

My advice is to check with DNR and not seek forum advice that way you won’t end up in jail, lose your life savings and your vehicle-just saying?

i have found this has no teeth.......

This has to be enforced by the dept of agriculture and they don't have the manpower to do anything with it.

This is livestock, not a DNR issue.

back to square one

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
i have found this has no teeth.......

This has to be enforced by the dept of agriculture and they don't have the manpower to do anything with it.

This is livestock, not a DNR issue.

back to square one

I will say this;
One man is tring to figure out about hauling & selling following the law.
Another man is giving info on how to haul a hog and how to sell it legally.

Then we have you butting into the convo with nothing but negatives!!!
When a kid make a mistake hunting and try’s to correct it...
Your throwing the book at him.
When a man is trying to haul hogs legally and another is explaining why ..... you jump in and place foot in mouth ?

Spurs all I see is you bashing a lot.
I know you have great knowledge about the outdoors and could give great advice.
Why don’t you try that for awhile.
Just saying.

All I am telling you is the feral hogs are in the process of being declared "Live stock" and the DNR are washing their hands of it all together. According to my sources which are really good by the way.

I can take you to a livestock sale were pigs are sold on the open market to meat buyers, and several groups of "High back feral hogs" will roll threw that sale, with Ga Dept of Agriculture present, and nothing is being done about it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
All I am telling you is the feral hogs are in the process of being declared "Live stock" and the DNR are washing their hands of it all together. According to my sources which are really good by the way.

I can take you to a livestock sale were pigs are sold on the open market to meat buyers, and several groups of "High back feral hogs" will roll threw that sale, with Ga Dept of Agriculture present, and nothing is being done about it.

Sorry man, I have to make you wrong again. Feral hogs have always been considered livestock once they are captured. In 2015 the General Assembly passed the feral hog control act that expressly gave DNR the authority to enforce Dept. of Agriculture regulation. We worked hand in hand with Dept. of Ag to develop and now enforce those regulations.

well go to the sale in Reynolds on the first and third Tuesday and watch the pig sale for yourself. And the Dept of Agriculture will be present.

It's there my friend, and the hogs the Atlanta "new natives" are buying are selling for over $2 a pound in their markets, just above the market price for Hardtails (blue runners) and cigar minnows.