Serrated points

GeorgiaGlockMan

I've never found a whole one that is really deeply serrated.

This fraction of a point got me excited.

I believe the area where I found it is an ancient campsite.

I found it sitting on top of an eroded dirt pile.

Am I nuts for wanting to level the piles and sort through them?

Woohoo! Uploaded the pic. I know it's only a part of one. Any clues?

Attachments

• IMG_20171219_113100.jpg
    IMG_20171219_113100.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:

PappyHoel

Nope not crazy. I found a similar area on Saturday. I've found lots of flint pieces in one area and they looked to be worked/chipped/knaped. If I remember I will take a picture of all the flakes. Flint is not prevalent in this area, we normally find quartz points.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Nope not crazy. I found a similar area on Saturday. I've found lots of flint pieces in one area and they looked to be worked/chipped/knaped. If I remember I will take a picture of all the flakes. Flint is not prevalent in this area, we normally find quartz points.

When we get the picture posting function back I`d like to see a sample of the various flint flakes you`re finding up there.

PappyHoel

When we get the picture posting function back I`d like to see a sample of the various flint flakes you`re finding up there.

Caught me off guard when I found them, unusual find up here in the foothills.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Caught me off guard when I found them, unusual find up here in the foothills.

Man I know found about a 30 foot area of chert flakes here in North Lee County that was Dover chert. It comes from western Tennessee. That`s a long way to tote stone on foot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can still load pics from an online picture hosting site like Flickr or Shutterfly.

The only serrated points that we find regularly here are Palmers and other similar-age points. I find a few old points here made from Knox chert from east TN, and even hornstone from KY/IN.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
One of the easiest sites to use with no registration is jpbox.com

rydert

Blue Heeler man
Man I know found about a 30 foot area of chert flakes here in North Lee County that was Dover chert. It comes from western Tennessee. That`s a long way to tote stone on foot.

You can still load pics from an online picture hosting site like Flickr or Shutterfly.

The only serrated points that we find regularly here are Palmers and other similar-age points. I find a few old points here made from Knox chert from east TN, and even hornstone from KY/IN.

pretty cool y'all know where the different flint comes from. Is there a book that either one of y'all could recommend that could help me in figuring that out? Work is really about to kill me and i was thinking i could start back looking for points again to help me get my mind off other things.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

GeorgiaBob

If you have ever tried to knapp a serrated spear point or arrowhead, you know that it is very difficult, and many (most - or in my case "all") attempts fail. Those serrated edges are very effective for penetrating and stopping supper sooner, but they also break more easily. I doubt you will find many complete serrated arrowheads. They would have been much more treasured when they were formed than you would treasure them now. They were used, found, reused, until they broke.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you have ever tried to knapp a serrated spear point or arrowhead, you know that it is very difficult, and many (most - or in my case "all") attempts fail. Those serrated edges are very effective for penetrating and stopping supper sooner, but they also break more easily. I doubt you will find many complete serrated arrowheads. They would have been much more treasured when they were formed than you would treasure them now. They were used, found, reused, until they broke.

You need thin edges and a fine pressure flaker. With practice, it's not too hard if you have the preform made right. I usually micro-serrate my stone hunting points.

GeorgiaGlockMan

You guys talking about odd flakes in an area.

The spot I am finding alot of points in has flakes that differ from all the other material (mostly quartz) on my place.

Here is a bigger flake that had me stumped.

It's not much thicker than a potato chip.

Material? Likely origin?

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_085046.jpg
    IMG_20171224_085046.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 644

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know for sure, but it resembles Savannah River Agate that comes from somewhere along the SC/GA border. A guy gave me a few chunks of it to knap years ago, and it looked similar to that, red streaks and all.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
It might be Allendale chert with a heavy patina.

PappyHoel

Here they are. They look like flakes to me and all found in a 10' area. What are they?

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 490

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Here they are. They look like flakes to me and all found in a 10' area. What are they?

I`m not sure what that might be. Maybe ridge and valley or Ft Payne chert.

Latest posts